FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Looking for help on undiagnosed mental health issues

bluekangaroo
Community Member

Hey Everyone,

It's my first time on a forum such as this, so I hope I'm doing the right thing and posting in the right place. I don't know if I'm using the wrong resources here, so if I am and my issues aren't serious enough to be seeking help on this platform, I'd like to apologise in advance.

At the end of april/beginning of May, I found myself begin to loose a lot of energy and I was sad every day without reasoning. I felt so down in the dumps and I couldn't explain why. Everyone would tell me there has to be a reason, but I just wasn't all that interested in life anymore and I didn't know why. My boyfriend at the time would be constantly checking up it me, but it would make it really hard when I myself couldn't explain what was wrong or why I was sad. His own mental health issues made him feel useless. This went on for about a month, and at the end of may my boyfriend broke up with me.

Here's my main issue - ever since we broke up (and I don't know if thats related, or just a coincidence), I've had a series of panic attacks (at school and work both). The first ever panic attack I had was the night we broke up. The second one, I was in tears for an entire two hours. After that, I lost count. They've sort of died down recently, however, over the past two or so months I've probably experienced a good 6-7 panic attacks. I'm not sure if this is normal or if there is something wrong with me. I guess I would just like to know, should I be taking this more seriously? Or is it just a stupid break up issue? I feel so stupid, I don't even know what is happening most of the time. My ex is my best friend still; I couldn't imagine my life without him. But he can't help me; and I can't even help myself.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hey bluekangaroo, a warm welcome to the Beyond Blue forums. Please know that your problems are as valid and serious as anyone else's and we're really glad that you're chosen to reach out to us.

We're so sorry to hear about the difficulties you are going through. We're concerned to hear that you've been feeling so down and are experiencing panic attacks. Can we ask if you are receiving mental health support? Please do feel free to contact the Beyond Blue Support Service anytime on 1300 22 4636 or get in touch with us on Webchat 3pm-12am AEST here: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport. One of the friendly counsellors can offer you some support but also provide you with advice and referrals for seeing a counsellor in a more ongoing way if this is something you feel would be beneficial. You might also like to get in touch with Kids Helpline - https://kidshelpline.com.au/ 
It sounds like you're in a really tough situation and it might help to talk it out whenever you're feeling overwhelmed. Kids Helpline counsellors can be contacted 24/7 via telephone and also via webchat if you go through the website provided. We hope this helps blue kangaroo and that you update us here on your thread whenever you feel up to it. 

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello bluekangaroo,

I would like to also give you a warm welcome to the forums along with Sophie..who has given you some very helpful suggestions and valuable contacts....

Please don’t apologies, how your feeling and what’s happening to you, is just as important as anyone else..

Depression makes us loose interest in our lives and takes away everything that we enjoyed doing...and makes us feel really sad a lot...I’m sorry this is happening to you...and your struggling so much with it..

I am no professional, just a person like you struggling with my own mental health...bluekangaroo...Having panic attacks are scary... could be your were high with anxiety when you had your first one on the night that you and your bf broke up...

Depression and anxiety..is so hard to manage on your own..If it’s possible can you talk to your GP, about these panic attacks and how your feeling down a lot, and your sadness....to get a diagnosis that way he/she can help you, with professional mental health support....and some coping tools to help with your panic attacks...I am gently urging you to please if you can to make an appointment with your GP....

Slow deep breathing with your concentration on your counting in between your deep breaths..Getting yourself grounded when panic attacks are happening is something that seems to ease them off quicker...There is a grounding thread on here..just search “grounding what is it”you might find some things in their that may help you...

Talk here anytime bluekangaroo....we are listening..and here for you..

Sending my care and kind thoughts...

Grandy.l