FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Is this normal? Potential health anxiety

Scotty02
Community Member

G’day guys

Over a month ago now I woke up one morning feeling pretty serious brain fog (couldn’t concentrate, poor memory and feeling generally ‘off’). This brain fog coincided with never before experienced panic attacks which lasted anywhere between 20-30mins.

I am 19 and have never had an issue with my mental health, and now I find myself slowly getting ‘worse’. I constantly hyper-fixate over physical and mental symptoms that I display, and manifest a reason that it could be the start or early onset of something sinister. For example: I go into panic attacks thinking that I’m developing bipolar or schizophrenia, despite not showing any real symptoms.

I have begun seeing a psychologist 3 weeks ago to address some issues at home (minor) and started taking antidepressants 4 days ago. As stated, this is all completely new and it’s incredibly frightening. I find it difficult to fall asleep at night, fatigued and constant brain fog. Sometimes I stand up and feel dizzy and have frequent panic attacks, often twice in a day.

I spend the whole day worrying that I have a brain tumour or as mentioned, another more chronic mental illness. I’m not sure if that’s how these illnesses start, or if I have health anxiety or even slight OCD.

Wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, wherein symptoms appeared overnight and gradually got worse. Not sure if a formal diagnosis would be beneficial, as I feel the root of my problem is the constant anxiety/ stress that I am developing a ‘chronic’ mental illness.

thank you in advance.

3 Replies 3

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello and welcome to the beyond blue forums.

First I would like to acknowledge the positives in your post... You are getting help for some issues. And you are taking medication. There are many who would do neither.

You mentioned you started taking medication. Have you checked the notes with the medication re side effects? It took me a while to find the right one. Just something to consider.

And when things happen that maybe out of the blue and the things that you mention are happening it can be easy to think the worst.

There were a couple of other points to make but will leave that to another time if at all. This is a safe place to chat and the folks here are very supportive.

If you want to chat some more...

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Scotty, when you start taking AD's (antidepressants) the mind changes so much, not necessarily because of the medication but from what you might have read on the net and wonder or perhaps fear that you will have these symptoms and there is a chance you start believing you have them when you don't, if however, you do have OCD then this is possible.

There is an online test to see whether or not you have OCD and if you google this 'test for OCD', it might give you an indication because this illness is one that makes your mind so acceptable, although I'm not a doctor, but know as I have it myself.

Let us know how you go.

Geoff.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi there,

it is good that you are getting help and seeing a psychologist, that's a great start.

you can always ask your doctor for some tests if you are really worried for peace of mind.

there is no date or time for mental illness, it can just appear out of nowhere - like any illness. you have to remember that just because mental illness is invisible - it doesn't mean that it isn't there and capable of appearing whenever it wants.

i think you should keep on the path you are on, slowly but surely your psychologist can work with you to help these feelings.

i hope things get better soon,

jaz xx