FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How does someone find a career path ?

Richardb3
Community Member

Hello,

I am really struggling to figure out what job I want in the future. I am in university at the moment but hate it. I really cannot envision myself being a successful person in any field, because there aren't any jobs that appeal to me/ or have major drawbacks. Does anyone who was in a similar situation have any advice? Might help me and others feeling the same way

thanks

13 Replies 13

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear you are struggling to decide! What year of university are you in? Have you just started?

When I first started uni I had NO idea what I wanted to do - but i did have some broad areas of interest. for example, psychology & politics/history. I started off in a Bachelor in Arts & Politics double degree, majoring in psychology! Through this, I discovered I did not enjoy politics at uni - but i rather enjoyed psychology! Then I decided to transfer into psychology and at first I was not sure what path I wanted to take after my degree. After persisting further, I have decided i want to be a health psychologist in the future (or any psychologist)! Now I am studying my Honours!

BUT I know just decided in third year, after life experience, that I wanted to go into the area of health/public health psych! I have always wanted to help others.

What I am saying is, you do not always have to know what you want to do. Things can chop and change depending on what you experience in life and what events happen to you that inspire you to pursue a certain career or job.

Aside, uni is NOT for everyone! You could always defer for a year and try working in a couple of industries...or even travelling on a working holiday! the world is your oyster, and you do not have to jump straight into uni or a career by any means. do what you want to do and your passions and inspirations will develop along the way.

good luck and i am here if you need,

jaz xx

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Richardb3,

Sometimes we don't really know what we want to do when we are younger and as time passes we get more of an idea of what we are interested in doing.

There are alot of jobs that you don't require a degree for and many industries.

Have you thought about going to a Courier Expo so you can see all of the opportunities that are available.

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey Richardb3,

jaz28 and Petal22 have given some really spot-on advice and suggestions which mirror my own experience.

I think I kind of just fell into a degree, then fell into a job, and I certainly don't love what I do or excel in what I do. But I think I've been working now long enough (I'm 30 now) to have seen how a lot of our seemingly big decisions like what degree to do, or whether to stay in uni or not, aren't as important as we think they are.

People in my job have come into their roles from heaps of different avenues and I've also had lots of opportunities to go and do other things. Very little is permanent when it comes to your job and I'd say the biggest thing that will change is probably what you view as important in a career.

So maybe you could look at what matters to you now, and what you think may matter in the short run. It might be easier to think of slightly vague things if you're finding it hard to think of a job you'd like. E.g. do you want flexibility in your life? Or do you want to own a car or a house? Do you want to move or travel? Do you want to make a big difference in the world, or are you happy to just do what you can?

Basically, I find it easier to think about what I want to do generally in life in the next year or two, rather than focus on a specific job. For me, the job is there to satisfy my life. So my focus is really on my life which changes constantly, and my career projection changes along with it.

James

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

I think I'm a prime example of lost career opportunities. However I'm 66yo and when under 46yo was unaware of any mental health issues like mania, bipolar and impulsively all that caused me to have 90 jobs and 15 professions.

I joined the RAAF at 17. My dream to be a pilot. Told I could change to aircrew later and to pick another career, I chose radio tech. Hence failed the course, ranked up a librarian so my error was not having a plan B.

What followed post discharge was- taxi driver, prison officer, railways investigations, dog ranger, security and dozens of jobs in between. I then, due to my variety of experiences, found a job as a private investigator and later started up my own business in that field.

Finally I had the profession that suited me in every way. Therefore I was good at what I did and it didn't take long for companies to pass work onto me. That lasted till 57yo, 18 years in total.

My message is: think positive, discount typical common professions, don't be afraid to cut your losses, consider the ADF, Army, Navy, Air Force, working in a field that is your hobby means you'll never work a day in your life.

I've known of a person in your situation. The only thing she could think of was that she lived her dog. She started her own business in pet baths/grooming and later into pet therapies for dogs that are injured.

I hope that helps

TonyWK

Richardb3
Community Member

Hi jaz28,

Thanks for your response. I am in my second year. I think the main problem is that I want to make my father proud. He is very successful in his field and I feel like I need to prove to him that I am cut from the same cloth. So basically I have this pressure to succeed in uni and in my future career.Even if i didn't care what he thought of me I would still be stuck, unfortunately, as I do not want to waste time and money trying out different things at uni.

Hrello Richard, it's understandable you want to make your dad proud, but can I ask, are you doing a course he wants you to do or is it your own choice, either way, if you aren't enjoying it, then should you continue doing something you don't like.

It's not plausible to pretend to him that you're doing it just to follow in his footsteps, so are you able to find any casual job, like working at a chain food store or wanting to become an apprentice in some field, that can still make your dad proud of you, because going to uni isn't necessarily the 'bee's knees' of beginning your life.

Your dad's profession may involve many different people so it is a success and not just him being at the top.

You need to do what suits you.

Geoff.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Richard,

I graduated from my undergrad degree today and one of the speakers said "pave your own path, do what you want to do, not what anyone else wants you to do" and that is very true.

something to think about.

jaz x

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi again

I agree with Geoff and Jaz

• You are not in this world to live up to others expectations
  • The most important employee in a hospital is the cleaner, often with limited education they prevent the spread of diseases and maintain hygiene
  • Doing your very best should satisfy everyone including you
  • Parents had choices when young. It's your time. Your father means well though.
  • Uni, with the pressures nowadays with HECS it's a different time. That means a need to be flexible. Adjust your direction with advice and courage.

TonyWK

HamSolo01
Community Member

Hi Richardb3

I did this recently. I quit uni start if the year. I was doing cyber security and it was ultimately an excuse for me to leave a job I didn't like. The job I did was not for me it was an industry I didn't like or had a passion for.

Can I ask - how old are you ??