FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Have to present in front of the class and anxious

Shea___
Community Member
Does anyone know any worthwhile ideas to help calm yourself down or to get out of stress or stressful situations? I have a presentation tomorrow and have to present it in front of the whole class I don't think it will be good enough and everyone will laugh or judge!!!! Please help I am in desperation and am really worried that people will hate what I have to present at school tomorrow...    😞                     😞
4 Replies 4

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Shea, welcome to the site.

It's everyone's fear of having to stand up in front of a crowd, I hate it, and it takes a lot of experience to do this, but then I'm sure that they even have butterflies in their stomach.

I would go to a herbal shop where there will be something to calm your nerves, or even the chemist might be able to help you.

Everyone always believes that their presentation will be awful, and the worse part is starting the talk, but you know once that's begun, and there maybe a laugh or two,  that's only normal.

Can you tell us what's your presentation about, I would be very interested, as I would think that it's tonight. Geoff.

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi Shea

Again, welcome to Beyond Blue and good on your for coming here to post.

I do hope you receive this before you have to do your presentation.  But Shea, yes it can be daunting to get up to do presentations or to speak in front of others - probably more so if they are your peers.

My main piece of advice would be to "know your material" - as in do as much preparation for it as you can ... and rehearse it, many times.

I would suspect the greater portion of the population all find public speaking very uncomfortable and stressful. 

I guess the other piece of advice is to just focus on ONE (or two) people in the room.  Two people who you believe will be genuinely interested in what you're speaking about.  Then as best you can, shut out the others from the room and speak to the one or two people who you've chosen, as though it's just a one-on-one talk/chat.

I get hellishly nervous before having to do any presentations and so there's two tips that I use to help me out a little.

Would love to hear back from you - re:  what the presentation was on, and if you completed it, how you felt you went, oh and what year in school are you in?

Kind regards

Neil

Shea___
Community Member

Thanks Guys,

turns out I am doing the presentation next week...

But, the presentation is on the Gold Coast, (Persuading people to live there) I am in year 7!

I think I am more prepared now!

From Shea 🙂

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi Shea

That's great ... as in next week ... which gives you lots more time to get things finalised and to really practise your presentation.  You can't do too much preparation.  And when you can get through this ok, you're going to feel so good within yourself to know that you can accomplish something like this.

And Shea if you feel the need to come back with anything else regarding this (or other things) please know that you'll be always welcome here.

Kind regards

Neil