FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling like a failure before HSC

st4r
Community Member

It’s almost 1 month away from HSC and I haven’t tried anything. I haven’t done well in trials or at school assessment as my depression and anxiety has got worse. I feel like a failure because there’s nothing I can do right now and I’ve been heavily burnt out student in academics due to being in a strict private school with bad educational strict environment. I used to be so smart but now I can’t do anything more, and it’s making me feel like a failure like I’m not good enough for the big world out there. I don’t know what to do and I’m forcing myself to study last minute but I feel like that’s not worth it because I had so many months to do so. I’m struggling to do anything and I feel like there’s nothing left for me to do as I force myself to study last minute which feels hopeless.

4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Hi st4r,

Thank you for sharing with us here. We can hear you’ve been through some really difficult stuff and are feeling really worried about your HSC. We’re really glad you could come and share this here, it’s not an easy thing to do and we really admire you doing so.

If you'd like to give us a call on the Beyond Blue Support Service on 1300 22 4636 to talk things through with the lovely counsellors there. A few more options are KidsHelpline on 1800 55 1800, Lifeline on 13 11 44, and Headspace on 1800 650 890. All of these options are also available through webchat, if you'd prefer:  Hopefully, you’ll hear from this lovely community soon. Maybe you could help them along by letting us know what kind of support you have at the moment, and if anyone around you is helpful or understanding with how you’re feeling?

Kind regards, 
Sophie M

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey st4r, welcome to the forums. 

It's HARD being where you are right now. 
Almost at the finish line, feeling like a failure. 
Feels like a "doomsday" approaching. 

Do you know what THE most important thing is for you to know, without a shadow of a doubt? 
Our WHOLE of society wants you to survive. 
That's all. 
We want you to LIVE through this!

The HSC does NOT define you. Sorry, not sorry, strict private school and any other that put insane pressures on our precious teenagers. 

Just get through. 

There IS the other side of the HSC. You're a KID! 

Please join eHeadspace chat so you can text with a Youth Counsellor there. 
Getting support right now can help you get through. 
You are SO worth it! 
Google "Brene Brown vulnerability" and watch her Ted Talk, it's comforting. 

I remember being wrought with anxiety at this very time 40+y ago. I "failed" my Trials. Got in to Uni by TWO marks. Couldn't believe it tbh. 
It wasn't until I was 25yo, living out of home, that my "intelligence" came through (abusive childhood). 
I went back to Uni and completed a post Grad Degree. The another one 2y later. 

Sure I didn't feel ready to be a grown up either! 
To be honest I still don't feel grown up lol. 

It's OKAY. We've got you. 
You are precious. 
You are important. 

Hang in there,
EM

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello st4r,

I'm sorry that you're feeling burnt out. After working hard towards your HSC for 13 years, it's understandable that you would be feeling this way. Your academic results are absolutely not a reflection of your worth or a predictor of your future success. There are many pathways to university/TAFE, have you looked into these?

When it comes to your actual HSC, you might surprise yourself. My teachers told me all throughout year 12, that during the HSC exams, many students get a rush of adrenaline and end up doing a lot better than even their trial exams. 

If you are worried about your trials and your depression and anxiety, I would recommend speaking with your school counsellor or academic advisor, they should be able to give you some extra support. Additionally, you can apply for special consideration/adjustment factors if you feel like your mental health has impacted your education. With adjustments, it depends on the university, but you can receive up to 10-12 bonus marks for your ATAR. 

Hope this helps, 

Beeee

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi st4r,

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

Anxiety and depression can be hard to deal with.

Sometimes anxiety can make us feel confused at times and it’s also hard to concentrate while enduring this in my experience.

Its not your fault that you haven’t done well, sometimes our mental health conditions need to be addressed before we can move forward.

Please be kind to yourself.

Have you been able to discuss with your parents about the way you are feeling?

Or you could even have a chat to your gp about the way you are feeling if you want to.

Your not alone please come back to us when you can.