FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

do i have adhd?

peachbob7
Community Member

im currently 17, almost 18, and a first year uni student. ive constantly struggled with studies as a kid, especially with focusing and retaining information. for example, i used to do Kumon tutoring and i never got far in it cause it tests how fast you can solve equations and do reading comprehension, but i would lose focus and start daydreaming. that would result in me being yelled at.

i especially struggled in year 12, as i really wanted to study but i never started until it was too late and my SAC scores always turned out horrendous. i become super depressed and started to lose touch with reality as i would go to school in a daze, come home and procrastinate for the rest of the day and then not be able to sleep cause id be guilting myself. anyway, i managed to barely scrape past and hoped maybe uni will be better.

now im in uni, everything is online cause of the coronavirus and im losing touch again. its only week 3 and im 2 weeks behind on work. i have no motivation or focus. im thinking of deferring this year and taking a well-earned break.

but ive had this itch in my brain since i learnt about adhd; do i have it? i read the symptoms and i think “oh god that’s me”, but im scared my parents might reject the idea. how do i get myself clinically diagnosed?

some other symptoms i share with adhd is struggling to keep emotions in check; sometimes i feel completely numb and empty, but other times i get excited so easily or snap at others over small things. i make the most careless mistakes even with simple things like 2+2. i put my phone somewhere for a minute and then forget and get frustrated that i cant find it. sometimes i think i stim? but im not sure im usually not focusing on it.

please help and give any advice. im feeling lost in life right now

4 Replies 4

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Peachbob, and a warm welcome to the forums.

If you are feeling lost and not interested in the course you're studying at uni and 2 weeks behind, then it will take concentration and dedication to be able to catch up, and if you feel as though you're lacking any inspiration, then it's going to be a long year at uni, so you may decide to defer where you can begin to get the help you need.

Whether you do have ADHD needs to be diagnosed by your doctor, and as you are almost 18 then you can seek their counselling by yourself, but you may feel much more comfortable if you take someone with you, then they could write down what can easily be forgotten.

Symptoms and side-effects for those who read it on the net just be careful not to 'assume' that you have it, let your doctor diagnose you and ask them these questions.

Take care.

Geoff.

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi peachbob7

You sound like a naturally intelligent person, which can be frustrating in this crazy world. Keeping in mind 'intelligence' is defined as 'the ability to process information':

• Have you often naturally thought 'This school work is boring and uninspiring'?
  • Have you often naturally thought 'I'd much rather be somewhere other than here, trying to work out over-complicated contrived things that I believe serve little purpose in life'?
  • Have you ever naturally thought 'School work is so mind numbing to the point where I much prefer to zone out'?
  • How about, when it came to a subject that excited you, 'I'd much rather be doing this than anything else'?

If you can relate, in my opinion, you're on the ball. You're a naturally intelligent person who recognises a depressing environment and way of learning. Performing under such conditions can feel pretty torturous. Making it through 13 years of a relatively boring outdated education system and into uni is a massive achievement. No need to feel guilty about the struggle to stay focused.

Do you think it's a perfectly natural part of your progress to take a well earned break during such deeply challenging times? Only you can answer that. No need for guilt here just some natural consideration regarding the pros and cons.

Personally, I was a shocker of a daydreamer at school. One teacher even suggested to my mum that he thought I may be asleep with my eyes open during class. Still am a great daydreamer but in more of a constructive way these days. Whether we daydream to relax or we daydream our way into inspiration, it's dependent on the circumstances. Some of the greatest inventors and theorists in history were serious daydreamers (Einstein included). It's said that when we 'zone out' we zone out of the thinking brain, into natural inspiration. Simple example: Sitting in your room, you think 'I'm bored out of my brain in here!' BAMM, you start daydreaming. All of a sudden, it pops into your head 'Paint the room some brilliant colour!' You return to reality, 'That's a great idea, where the heck did that come from?' Daydreaming is an ability that allows things to come to us naturally (not forced). Shame we're taught from a young age that it's a waste of time.

Seeing you're easily excited at times, perhaps question how many things are boring you in life and how many people are frustrating you and how you can manage such factors. I imagine you're a naturally creative person looking for more excitement.

🙂

eight
Community Member
have you guys, actually like, met anyone with a learning disability or do you just go "OH but your grades are too good to be adhd!!!! you're just a little eccentric". because i've lost count how many replies i see and go "WHAT PLANET ARE YOU LIVING ON"

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi eight

I used to work with adults with significant intellectual challenges. While they each had their own amazing abilities, it was the environment they were set up to fail in that was the issue for each of them. This would explain, for example, why those who are diagnosed with Autism thrive in environments which best suit them or accommodate the challenges they can face.

I live on a planet where, in my world, deepest consideration (sometimes beyond labels) is given and and each person should be supported in finding the best of their abilities.