Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

Talan95 Anxious! Lost! Confused! Please share you opinions?
  • replies: 3

I'm 18 years old an have a few months left of year 12 so this is the time in my life that I'm supposed to be making choices as to what career I want to go into and what not, I really love the idea of becoming a psychologist or counsellor social worke... View more

I'm 18 years old an have a few months left of year 12 so this is the time in my life that I'm supposed to be making choices as to what career I want to go into and what not, I really love the idea of becoming a psychologist or counsellor social worker type of career, I am basically the person that everyone comes to in order to sort out there problems, but the issue is I'm almost sure i have depression and the stress of this year hasn't helped with that, I'm very good at hiding my emotions from others and even from myself at times.. but my question is could having depression now effect my chances of entering this type of career? Would I have to tell employers of my struggle with depression? And is it a good idea I go into this pathway ?

The_VC Left home, and stuffed up school
  • replies: 2

I left home, due to my mother.. and in the end I ended up missing out on one whole term of school, the start of year 12.. I wasn't going to go back.. but now that I have, I'm trying so hard and all Im met with is average C grades, teachers that lectu... View more

I left home, due to my mother.. and in the end I ended up missing out on one whole term of school, the start of year 12.. I wasn't going to go back.. but now that I have, I'm trying so hard and all Im met with is average C grades, teachers that lecture me till the sun goes down, no friends and this constant nagging voice/feeling that screams and yells at me that I wasted my life my potential.. I just can't even bear to look at my school work, to me each page is stamped in red with failure.. school feels like this constant reminder that I couldve been and done so much better. I need help, I want to do better, I just don't believe I can anymore...

demis_ a long story, but its worth reading. how it all started
  • replies: 0

hi, I am 19 year of age and made a stupid decision over a month ago to take pills with my friends in town. i have never done this before and i noticed i wasn't feeling well days after taking them. i slept for a week straight and couldn't bring myself... View more

hi, I am 19 year of age and made a stupid decision over a month ago to take pills with my friends in town. i have never done this before and i noticed i wasn't feeling well days after taking them. i slept for a week straight and couldn't bring myself to eat or drink anything. i went to the doctors 5 days after taking the pills my heart started racing when me and my mum went to the car i was scared i was going to pass out. i could barely make it to the doctors and when we got there the doctor recommended i go to the hospital so they can monitor me and check everything is okay. they sent me home after an hour or so and i go home and eat but then i can feel my heart racing again and i cant calm down so we go back to the hospital so they can monitor me and get calm. they give me script for nausea pills ask i couldn't move or look with out wanting to be sick. a week later i notice im not feeling well, well turns out i was having all the bad symptoms for the nausea pills such as tiredness, hazy vision, delayed movement and more. i stop taking the pills and i start feeling better. i decide to go into the city with my sister and i start not feeling good but i think im just making myself think it. so i power on. i feel weird on the bus and when we got off as well. we walking into a store and i feel 'strange' i feel like im spinning out and things start getting worse when im at the register. i tell my sister i might just have to eat something. so we go to maccas and get our orders and sit down. next thing i feel like i have to throw up i walk out cause i need air. my sister comes and find me and we decide to get a taxi home, my sister is being real supportive of me and im thankful for that. we get in a taxi and don't even make it 10 meters and i feel like i have to throw up again so we get out. we end up caling my sister friend to come get us. while we waiting i explain to my sister what im feeling is what i felt like when i was on the pills. i have these racing pins and needles from the back of my head to my legs, my legs feel like jelly, i feel like i have to be sick, my heart is racing and i have this disconnected feeling. in the car home i got my head in a bucket but couldn't throw up. we get home and im feeling better. i stay home for a few days and then my mum wants to go to marion so i go with her. when im getting ready i feel like i have to be sick but i go anyways. we get into marion and i tell my mum i might go the car i don't feel well. she does her own thing while im in the car. when were driving home i can tell shes frustrated with me and then she says stop you giving yourself anxiety and from there out things were bad. we got home and i developed a HUGE fear or being home by myself. everyone was going out that night. i ended up sitting out side and refused to go inside with out being on the phone to my friend till she came and got me. i stayed at her house the whole weekend and Sunday my mum got me and we went to the doctors. i tell him everything that has happened and he says its pretty much anxiety and he put me on half a tablet of an antidepressant. the first few days were tough i still had all these symptoms. i refused to sleep by myself for the first few nights and the wost thing was the rush of pins and needles all down me and this 'disconnected feeling. one night symptoms we so bad i had to call a doctor but he couldn't do anything for me but give me herbal pills to put me asleep. all can keep saying is i need help so i ended up seeing a psychologist i was so thankful cause i need that support and help. my second appointment with her i i tell her im scared of going crazy, she says i have to push myself to get back into normal life and i pushed myself with the little things like going to the shops, catching the bus and going back to work. its been 5 week since all of this started and i it was my first day back at work. i was roster on for 2 nine hour shifts. so i wake up, get ready and get on the bus. the bus drives past my work and my chest sinks. i walk in the center and start crying. i had to call my mum to help me. she guides me through what to do and i power on. i got into my work and break out crying to my managers i had to tell when has happened (not that i voluntary took pills) and they were supportive and i asked to start off with 3 hour shift and work my way up. i powered through a 3 hour shift it seemed like it went for 10 hours though. iv been back at work for going on 3 weeks now and im at 5 hour shifts now. time still seems to go so long though, the days use to just fly by. i know this was long but this my story and how it all happened. although i am feel better now things are still hard. i just want to go away on a holiday and come home and everything will be how i dream of it.

Vince2795 Sad Clown
  • replies: 13

Hello my name is Vince and I am new to the forum. I am a law student in my 20's living on campus and have recently been diagnosed with depression/anxiety. Despite having a large network of friends I can't seem to connect with anyone or let anyone kno... View more

Hello my name is Vince and I am new to the forum. I am a law student in my 20's living on campus and have recently been diagnosed with depression/anxiety. Despite having a large network of friends I can't seem to connect with anyone or let anyone know how I am really feeling. Instead I put on facade where I am always happy and trying to make my friends laugh, but feeling lonely and miserable on the inside. I keep telling myself I am a complete loser that will always be lonely, that I will never find a girlfriend, have anyone that cares about me, and that the only reason my friends hang around me at the moment is because I am a source of entertainment for them. I tell myself that the minute I try and reach out my friends will see me as a mope or moody person and will no longer want me around, so whats the point of trying? I'm getting good marks at uni and enjoy my degree but I can't even see the point of continuing if I am still going to be a loser at the end of it. I have run out of reasons to get out of bed and get to class, work, or socialize, not matter what I do I am still going to be that guy who is only as good as his forced smile. Even my family see me as a weirdo and only tolerate me because I am at uni doing something with my life. I hate the fact I am wasting space on this forum with my mediocre problems, and for that I apologize, but I need to get this off my chest.

Bec1994 Newbie

Hi all, don't really know what to say.. I've had major depression and anxiety for around 9 years, I self harmed from when I was 12 to only last year (18). I always just saw it as depression and anxiety, but after starting a recent unit at uni (I'm do... View more

Hi all, don't really know what to say.. I've had major depression and anxiety for around 9 years, I self harmed from when I was 12 to only last year (18). I always just saw it as depression and anxiety, but after starting a recent unit at uni (I'm doing Psychology) I've been wondering more if its Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I was molested as a child by my godfather when i was 7, He was charged but never convicted after i told my parents when I was 10, He had also raped one of my older sisters and a family friends daughter. I always knew this was the cause of my depression and anxiety, that and the changes to the family dynamics and lack of support. I guess I kinda want to know what people that have been diagnosed with PTSD have done to overcome it, and how they went about getting diagnosed. I've been to see a phsychologist a few times, but i generally get to nervous about it that i talk myself out of going and dont show up, But i recently did confess my depression and self harm to my family, and they have been incredibly supportive. I appreciate any advice in advance, Thanks

serendipity Public education on mental health
  • replies: 7

Hello there, I'm a year 12 student with four months left of high school. In the last six years mental illness has touched me and my friends in a way that I can't forget. In particular, I've a friend who has Borderline Personality Disorder. For the mo... View more

Hello there, I'm a year 12 student with four months left of high school. In the last six years mental illness has touched me and my friends in a way that I can't forget. In particular, I've a friend who has Borderline Personality Disorder. For the most part of last year (when we were in year 11) the situation was on a knife edge. Her multiple suicide attempts and overdoses made it hard to deal with the surface stuff e.g: the pressure and stress that already come with VCE. I think the last straw was really September last year when she publicly announced a suicide note on facebook with all of our names tagged in it, and then went missing. They found her at Flinders Street station, unharmed. After that she was un-enrolled from school because she was too ill. Nonetheless life has been much better for us all since last year, as there is a degree of distance and we know that the right people are looking after her.She is now at TAFE but she is by no means out of struggle street yet. She made another suicide attempt last week. In any case, that isn't what I'm here to talk about. For months after this incident I have wanted to speak publicly and educate the school community about mental health. However, I haven't had much luck at all. You see, not long after what happened to our friend and right before the end of year exams, a boy in the year above us committed suicide. It was tragic; really horrible. At the funeral I couldn't help but feel angry that something like this had to happen before people realised the implications of depression and mental illnesses. It could have been my friend. It could have been anybody in our school community. At the beginning of 2013 I tried to organise a chapel presentation but we were barred from speaking. I know that the school community was and is still grieving, but that is all the more reason why I wanted to bring the topic of mental health to the fore of discussion. The school prefers to deal with it in more subtle ways - they are constantly informing us of the benefits of "mindfulness" and caring for each other. I'm also aware that a lot of work is done under the radar with students who have mental health needs. I think that all of these measures are great, and I'm also very much aware of how mental illness can be quite a sensitive topic - but surely there is a place for public discussion of mental health with student initiative? I guess I'm asking you all a question. Is mental illness better tackled on a less public level? The teachers and admin were trying to protect us from any implications that could have resulted from our public address. They told us that schools consist of a whole range of age groups, with different stages of development and needs, and we can't afford to risk anyone taking our message 'the wrong way". I can appreciate that, but in each of these demographics there are people who are suffering. Surely there are people out there who are in the same situation as my friends and I were, but with no knowledge of what to do? there is so much that I wish that i knew, in retrospect, about how better to take care of myself and my friends. I wish I could tell others about my experiences, so that they perhaps don't feel so alone. How could one address a school publicly about mental health from a student's perspective? I have talked to those in school authority and I've made a bit of headway, but somehow i don't feel it is enough. The Head of Wellbeing says that he is trying to get in a speaker from Beyond Blue this year, but with school bureaucracy and tight schedules it is more likely to be next year. I suppose this is still a positive thing, because even if i'm not there to see the benefits, I'm leaving a legacy of sorts. Also, the school psychologist ( who actually knows me very well now....) wants me to help out with "mindfulness sessions", the details of which I'm not too sure about, but we're meeting on Wednesday to catch up and hopefully discuss it. Overall, these measures are very good, but I still feel like my purpose hasn't been fulfiled. I feel like there is no student involvement, because they don't trust our initiative regarding these matters and because we are young and inexperienced. Perhaps the Head of Wellbeing would have organised a speaker without my input. Perhaps the school psychologist doesn't really need my help with these sessions and the ministry centre is just trying to appease me so that i will shut up about it. I try not to think about it in that way, though. I want to speak publicly, somewhere, somehow. i have a voice and a story, and words coming from a fellow peer perhaps are more pertinent than somebody a little older. I don't know, maybe my needs are also personal. I need people to know that what happened was real, and I want them to understand what it was like so that if they are ever confronted with a situation like that, or if they ever see a situation like that from the outside, perhaps they will be able to empathise a little better. Generally I just want to know the consensus of how to go about mental health education on a public scale . I think I came to the right website to get that kind of information. I want to know if there is even a small way I could impact my school community in a positive way before I graduate, or even after I graduate. I feel like I've left unfinished business that i can't just ignore.

PJBall Stuck..

Hey, im new on here and posting/venting my life on the net.. but anyway. I'm 22.. some days i feel like im 20 years older. I always thought there is a light at the end of the tunnel with anything negative that has came into my life. I haven't seen a ... View more

Hey, im new on here and posting/venting my life on the net.. but anyway. I'm 22.. some days i feel like im 20 years older. I always thought there is a light at the end of the tunnel with anything negative that has came into my life. I haven't seen a doctor or anything to see what is exactly wrong with me.. and im too scared to explain to my parents(or closer relatives) on how i have been feeling lately. About 2 years ago i was in my first ever relationship, i reckon it was the only time where i felt happy in my whole entire life, but in the same week of knowing she cheated on me.. i lost my job..and the worst part, i lost a very close friend in a car crash. Ever since then i never thought i'll be happy ever again, there was a time where i jumped in my car and went to close my eyes after speeding on the highway and hope it'll all end, but i have knocked my senses back into place and avoided doing that and went back doing what i always love doing, which is writing and performing music. So within the duration of 2012 i have composed atleast 2 albums of material.. and after a bad storm, i have lost every bit i had due to a power surge... anyway.... moving on. The reason why i always feel like s%$t is that i live in a very SMALL town.. and my ex girlfriend lives like 3 doors down from me.. so no matter what i always end up seeing her everyday. She cheated on me for one of my best mates i knew since i was 11 years old. They currently split up now as of a few months ago. Its just stupid how i can get so emotional about how much i miss the feeling of the whole thing. i tried running away but i always end up coming back. I don't really have "friends" in town... I suppose everyone around here gets hit with the whole "small town syndrome" treatment. But with me i don't spread rumours and other "chinese whisper" like matters like butter on toast... Sometimes when i make plans with someone, it'll be all sweet ready to go then very last minute they'll say "ohh nah, family issues" and they end up being elsewhere... every time, and that kills me. Back in Feb. of this year i got charged for the first time ever, for a high range PCA whilst in the vehicle (at a showground where i was sleeping and i had keys on me..). This is the actually closed a chapter of my high drinking habits from the past, i enjoy a drink here and there if im with family and such... but not every day like i use to... and especially starting at 8am. i was really terrible. Really raised concern within the family. Not being able to get out of this town permanently for a while is killing me. Is there any suggestions i should do to take my mind of things without "going over the top" and having to think about necking myself thinking i am not good for anyone. Thank you!

Beth_t Does he love me or not?

So I'm 18 years old and am currently completing my VCE as I am in year 12. in 2010 I began talking to a guy. We became friends and I later discovered he had depression. The times that he became worse I was with him all the way, I helped him get the h... View more

So I'm 18 years old and am currently completing my VCE as I am in year 12. in 2010 I began talking to a guy. We became friends and I later discovered he had depression. The times that he became worse I was with him all the way, I helped him get the help he needed and he started to get better. We began dating in may of 2011 and broke up a few months later only to get back together in October. A couple of weeks before his 18th birthday with is in may, this year he started to become depressed again and this time it was much worse. On the 29th of may he was not thinking straight and dumped me. Although leading up to this time he was starting to push me away by saying that 'I don't love him' and 'I don't need him' and as well as 'I needed to find someone better'. Of course this hurt and I kinda pushed him to dump me but I did not expect that he would. I haven't been coping well that much, as I miss him a lot. It feels like he is sending me mixed messages and its confusing me. He says he can't feel anything towards the people he loved including me, so he doesn't know whether he will ever love me again or get back together with me. i guess what I'm asking is, whether he still does love me deep down and will want to be with me again and keep me in his life? Or whether his feelings for me are completely gone? Will the person I love come back to me? i would really appreciate your help, thanks

fuzzyupguru Severe Depression, Cyclothymia, Bipolar, and Anxeity.
  • replies: 1

I don't know where to start or what to say. But here I go. I'm Victoria. I have had severe depression, cyclothymia, bipolar and anxeity since the start of last year. The start of the new year, 2013 I decided to tell a few of my friends. They didn't c... View more

I don't know where to start or what to say. But here I go. I'm Victoria. I have had severe depression, cyclothymia, bipolar and anxeity since the start of last year. The start of the new year, 2013 I decided to tell a few of my friends. They didn't care. But I shouldn't of told them because they hate me anyway. I'm starting to waste my life away with the same routine, walk up, go to school, eat, sleep, go on internet, sleep, eat, sleep. I need help. I feel empty and lonely. Please help me. ;-;

iTHINK88 My Intro.....

Hello Everyone I am excited to say; a) I am a newbie &.. b) This is my first post on this. Depression & myself have gone hand in hand on & off for the past 2 years. Up until 3 months ago anxiety/panic attacks started. My first attack was 'the' worst ... View more

Hello Everyone I am excited to say; a) I am a newbie &.. b) This is my first post on this. Depression & myself have gone hand in hand on & off for the past 2 years. Up until 3 months ago anxiety/panic attacks started. My first attack was 'the' worst experience of my life & lasted for well over 12 hours coming & going. I didnt know how to handle it or what to do.I It only stopped when eventually i fell asleep. One thing it enabled me to do was take comfort in my family, leaning on them which i normally find difficult. When it comes to showing my feelings i just cant show it, I am outspoken but just in my head. Im not even sure if i have a fear of crowds, I can speak to a room with 100 people in it, Put me at a bar with 6 people and you may not even hear a beep? For the time being my outspoken mind can't even show my real name, So just call me iTHINK and know that i am a 25yo male. My third attack happened on a Friday night at around 3:30am, Having learnt more about the condition i found myself less confused about what to do. Keep in mind the pain & everything else was still happening. But being able to be decisive in a situation like that allowed me to find the number to BeyondBlue where a lady by the name of Emma helped me. She kept me company for about an hour and suggested i take a look at this forum, another great call Emma! I may or may not be in the early stages of anxiety, but like alot of people on this forum say, you just have to accept it as a part of you. Im not on any medication & dont intend on it aswell as not seeing any psych atm, but i am thinking about seeing someone. For the time being i just try smile (sometimes i dont even need to try & keep a positive outlook about myself. There a days when i think i have failed and its too late but then i remind myself "No such thing as failure in my eyes. To fail means you must have tried, found a way that didn't work and that in itself is success." Btw my name is Tony.