Young people

A space for people aged 12-25 to discuss life. If you’re over 25, please be mindful that this is a space for younger people to connect.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

romantic_thi3f Eeep! When study is overwhelming! - Tips, ideas and coping strategies
  • replies: 51

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are i... View more

Hi! Just thought I’d make a post with some tips for study. I know this is something we can all struggle with. These are all suggestions so feel free to take them or leave them! Hope they help! If you only remember one thing, let it be this: You are important. Your grades don’t define you. (support) Studying can feel isolating but know you’re not alone! Reach out – and find or make friends that can support you along the way. If you’re having trouble finding some friends, join some local communities or clubs! They have lots at Uni’s and even stuff like open days are great ways to meet new people and find out what’s happening. Study groups can also be a great way to meet people and stay motivated. Also remind yourself why you’re doing this; inspirational wallpapers or quotes can be super inspiring. Remember the saying about the oxygen mask? If you can’t take care of yourself first studying will be harder. You are important. You know the drill - water, food, exercise, sleep. Try to stay calm. Stuff that might be able to help include mindfulness, breathing exercises, colouring in, going for walks, journaling, listening to music… If you’re struggling – reach out. See a therapist. Talk to your student counsellor. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it. Also lots of Universities and TAFE offer disability services – which includes conditions like Depression and Anxiety. (study) Find the right study space for you. Maybe that’s in your room, or a coffee shop, or the library. Some people find that noise helps; other people not so much. If you like particular kinds of noise, you can find ‘coffee shop’ noise or ‘rain sounds’ to help concentrate. Make a plan. It helps to do it often so it becomes a habit. Anytime you get a due date, write it down. Maybe you could use a diary, planner, bullet journal or an app. I find the 30/30 App helpful - study for a bit and then break for a bit. You can also get add-on’s for your computer to block sites like Facebook if you find them too distracting. Find out what study technique works for you. Do you like cue cards? Mind maps? Colour coding? Does highlighting stuff help you remember? Charts, maps, diagrams? Recorded lectures? Goals! These are so important – not just writing down deadlines but rewarding yourself for meeting them. Even making smaller goals like ‘read two pages from a textbook’ can help. Break it down into bite size pieces, and don’t forget to reward yourself after!

Sophie_M NEW TO THIS FORUM? Please read this first
  • replies: 0

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindfu... View more

The Young People space is a sub-forum within the wider Beyond Blue forum community. 1. Its purpose is to provide members aged 25 and under a space to discuss anxiety, depression and other related life issues. If you are aged over 25, please be mindful that this forum is a space for younger people to connect and provide peer support for each other. 2. Content from this sub-forum is displayed on both the beyondblue and youthbeyondblue websites. 3. Please bear in mind that some members find content relating to suicide and/or self-harm distressing or triggering. If you would like to post on these topics, please do so in our Suicidal Thoughts and Self Harm section. Please see also our guidelines for making posts on this topic. Posts made here in the Young People sub-forum containing content relating to suicide and/or self-harm will be moved. 4. These forums are moderated, so your posts may not appear straightaway. Information on how our system works can be found here. Being familiar with our community rules can help ensure that your posts appear online as quickly as possible. 5. This is a peer support community, and to get the best out of being here we recommend that you 'give support to receive support'. More on how that works here.

All discussions

Minxy Determination in study considered as 'normal' in society, to me I'm struggling to the core.
  • replies: 1

Hi everyone, I often have anxiety problems and frequent panic attacks when it comes to pushing myself beyond my limits, and having Asperger's Syndrome (a form of autism) doesn't make things any easier - like stubbornness and the inability to socializ... View more

Hi everyone, I often have anxiety problems and frequent panic attacks when it comes to pushing myself beyond my limits, and having Asperger's Syndrome (a form of autism) doesn't make things any easier - like stubbornness and the inability to socialize with people, so this is actually quite daunting to express my issues on here. Also to note I never mention my autism to ANYONE, (that includes the university) for fear of being treated as 'different' and that I'm doing everything, even my own appearance, just to be classed as a normal person in society and to actually interact with people. At the moment I'm currently in my third study period in Bachelor of Visual Arts and Visual Culture via Open Universities, 19 years old and in full time study (no work, but relying on Commonwealth support for fees), and already it has significantly impacted negatively both mentally and physically. Since my mother died just recently, last year in February, I am struggling to cope with my 65 year old dad (who ironically, also has Asperger's Syndrome) and often have conflicts and he thinks he knows everything; even though he doesn't know how other people think, so you get it how frustrating it is when it comes to arguments. He always wants be to go for the higher level of education to become a so called "Top Manager in the Arts Department" (for goodness sake I just want to be a Graphic Illustrator, nothing fancy or anything), yet having very limited literacy skills and lack of people's skills makes it very unlikely to reach for a higher career. I keep trying to tell him my career choice and that it's not necessary to take a university course if it just makes me more stress with the simple workload than actually learning anything, and he simply doesn't listen. I've always love doing art and have been doing it for years, yet it looks crap, but being in my university course has made me quite uncertain in getting a career in art as whole. It seems like the more I stay in this course, the more I start hating my art and becoming less passionate about it (yet I keep doing it anyway). As a hobby it's great, but as a job quite unlikely. I don't makes friends, even with other students or other people, because I easily get stressed with them; especially smarter people, which I considered them intimidating. I had other people (normal) telling me the following: - 'shut up and get used to it' - 'you should be more involved with your passion' - 'stop being a attention seeker' - 'if you can't cope with this, there's something wrong with you and you' ll never cope in society' - 'face it, if normal people can do it than you should have no problem doing it' - 'it's so simple, why are you finding it difficult' - 'stop stressing just do it' - and the list goes on.. These quotes I find it hard to register or understand, not that I'm too ignorant to understand, I simply can't grasp the meaning and concept of these responses. I do frequently ask the Student Counselors and my lecturers at the university, they say exactly the same thing. My university course itself I find it hard to understand the basics and I admit my time management is quite poor, but I do my best to be engage with the materials (which that engagement is slowly declining). Half the time I don't understand what my lecturers and other students are saying because of their use of complicated words - I call it "smart people talk" to be simple. Even when I asked them to simplify what they're saying, they think that I'm being ignorant and not understanding the topic - quite insulting really. I know many of you think that as a young adult, I should be able to handle these things by now. To tell you the truth, I don't see myself as a young adult (more of a struggling shy teenager level of intelligence) and plus lack of life experience does add to the lack of my understanding of almost everything in society. I hope you all understand what I'm going through.

BlackSwan Whats really wrong with me?
  • replies: 5

Okay, I have no idea what I am doing so sorry for any weirdness or confusion.. Alright, so I just looked at this site and I just researched on symptoms which I am experiencing. But I noticed some didn't really extend on things and I have a little bit... View more

Okay, I have no idea what I am doing so sorry for any weirdness or confusion.. Alright, so I just looked at this site and I just researched on symptoms which I am experiencing. But I noticed some didn't really extend on things and I have a little bit of different things wrong with me. for 1 I definitely know I have GAD and a type of depression because I self harm, and I do not like life a lot the time. But then again, my emotions change, one moment I feel normal, next I hate the world, I feel depressed and then I feel like a psycho. Like today for example, I was feeling normal in the morning then I suddenly was depressed until about 5pm tonight and now I am psycho, laughing at random things, talking to myself, yelling at objects and people then just apologising then doing it again. My voice sounds different in a weird way and my attitude towards everything is completely different. I always feel like I am being followed or watched, and I don't concentrate on things. I enjoy harming myself, which sounds really messed up and weird but its the reality of my actions. I self-harm myself when I am feeling really upset, but I always do it because I want to and there is an urge to do it. And to be honest, I like the pain it gives me. yeah, I know I'm messed up but I do want to try and stop it. I can't sleep until late, and sometimes I just choose not to go to sleep or I don't want to. Even if sometimes I get a good sleep I wake up knackered and I can barely function throughout school. I'm getting put on sleeping pills today but the messed up thing is the side effects include things I already experience so I am slightly worried about that, but my GP doesn't seem too bothered about it. I understand I may have Bi-polar, but I just want to understand and see if anyone is going through the same thing... I can honestly say, I think I have something underlining mentally wrong with me, I mean come on; I hurt myself on purpose, like earlier this year, I repeatedly punched myself and convinced myself that a guy was after me and attacked me. Now my moods change erratically and I hurt myself! I just want to understand what the heck is wrong with me so I can stop it. Please if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I know that maybe this has an easy solution but I want to look at other solutions which don't involve me going to a mental hospital oh and if it doesn't say, I am 15 years old and I'm a female...

mp_ I'm worried about my girlfriend
  • replies: 3

My girlfriend and I are in our early twenties and are 3 months in to studying abroad together for a total of 8 months (we'll be home in February). She suffers from what I am fairly sure is an anxiety disorder according to the research I have done on ... View more

My girlfriend and I are in our early twenties and are 3 months in to studying abroad together for a total of 8 months (we'll be home in February). She suffers from what I am fairly sure is an anxiety disorder according to the research I have done on this site. She over-thinks things, she makes decisions based on what she thinks other people will think of her (often assuming that people think the worst of her), is often worried about one thing or another, and certain worries will trigger other worries in a cycle that is difficult to break once it starts. She often sleeps during the day, and is unable to exercise regularly due to back problems caused by muscle tension (which I suspect is related). She is incredibly hard on herself, and cannot see that in many of the areas where she is concerned that she is lacking (such as interacting with our new housemates), she is actually overcompensating. She saw a counsellor back home who taught her exercises to help with the worrying, but I think that the dramatic change in our living situation (foreign country, language etc) has been tough on her. She doesn't like the labels "anxiety" and "depression" and is worried about people labelling her as crazy. She will often ask me to just tell her that she's fine and normal. I'm the only one she shares her worries with, as she is concerned about other people judging her. I really love her and care about her, and I'm really worried about her. Whenever I tell her that I'm concerned it seems to only add to her own worry. Sometimes I feel responsible, and I often feel that I've made it worse through trying to make it better. I guess I'm asking for advice on what to do. I'm worried about how she's going to take another 6 months of this. It's tough because I feel as though we're so isolated. Does anybody have any experience with finding english-speaking mental health professionals in non-english-speaking countries in Europe? I can do all of the patient, non-judgmental listening in the world, but don't think I'm in any sort of position to actually make things much better. I'd give anything for her to feel better, and to believe in herself the way that I believe in her. Thanks in advance for any help or advice! M

kimberley sorry, just catharsis

After experiencing an episode of depression, I have been on medication for almost two years with significant progress. But right now I'm a bit frightened as for the past week I have had thoughts indicative of a fall back into depression. I know now h... View more

After experiencing an episode of depression, I have been on medication for almost two years with significant progress. But right now I'm a bit frightened as for the past week I have had thoughts indicative of a fall back into depression. I know now how to identify the signs, and this is basically me doing something about it really, and hoping it's just a bad week and I'm a bit stressed from uni, etc. Still, I haven't had these kind of thoughts in a while. I never know whether I can say I 'had' depression, instead of I 'have'. Is the sudden reappearance of these feelings common? By dwelling on them am I helping myself, or just encouraging myself to go back to a place I've grown from? There seems to be a lot of information about combating depression for the first time, or short term recovery, but what about after that? I just want to know how other people have coped, how do you know whether what you're feeling is simply what you remember you felt, or what you are experiencing now? Does talking about it with your doctor set your progress back? Can you ever know when you're ready to get off the medication? I actually feel a lot better after just writing this, but if anyone can offer advice from experience I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

CassieEmily I'm new
  • replies: 5

I'm 18, and I was diagnosed with depression a few months ago, although I think it's been going on for much longer than that. I finally started seeing a counsellor after I had a particularly bad few days, when all I could do was cry. I just hated myse... View more

I'm 18, and I was diagnosed with depression a few months ago, although I think it's been going on for much longer than that. I finally started seeing a counsellor after I had a particularly bad few days, when all I could do was cry. I just hated myself, and I didn't know who to talk to. I've always been such a cheerful, bubbly person, and I feel like I kept up the facade even when I was feeling down, so my family and friends had no idea. I saw a psychiatrist after that, then I was diagnosed with depression. I get really frustrated with myself, because I feel like my life is really good, so I have no right to be depressed when so many people have been through so much more than I have. My family and friends are wonderful, and I'm studying medicine like I've always wanted to. But some days I don't like anything about myself, and I just don't even want to exist. I've told a few friends about it, and I really appreciate how they try to help, but sometimes I feel like they just don't understand. My family also know, but I feel like they don't really want to talk about it. It just feels really lonely sometimes. I'm really glad I found this website, it's nice to talk to people who know what it's like. Thanks for reading!

Curtis Learning to play sports - a less serious topic
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone, I had a not so great childhood which resulted in me not getting to do many things. In most aspects I'd say my life is on track, however there is just one thing, I don't know how to play sports. I really want to learn to play rugby league... View more

Hi everyone, I had a not so great childhood which resulted in me not getting to do many things. In most aspects I'd say my life is on track, however there is just one thing, I don't know how to play sports. I really want to learn to play rugby league. I know literally nothing asides from what I've seen on TV. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could learn the fundamentals so hopefully I can one day join a club? It's something I've been aspiring to for about a year and a half. So far in which I've mostly been looking at getting fit enough, I'd say I'm getting pretty good with that and I want to take the next step. I'm a 21yr old male who is big on watching sports so I find this very embarrassing. Any help would be awesome thanks :).

Will_C I feel like I really need to ask this
  • replies: 7

Ok, I've been wanting to ask this on this forum for a while but I've been putting it off because I thought it was a stupid thing to ask. I'm about 15 years old, turning 16 in December, and I'm always quite cheerful at school. But when I get home, I b... View more

Ok, I've been wanting to ask this on this forum for a while but I've been putting it off because I thought it was a stupid thing to ask. I'm about 15 years old, turning 16 in December, and I'm always quite cheerful at school. But when I get home, I become angst ridden and feel nervous about just being home. And it's weird because my mum is THE nicest, most selfless, generous person that I know (I'm an only child). But I feel like I can't tell her or ask her anything. Then I just end up feeling selfish. Whats wrong with me, if anything?

Amarant88 I don't understand
  • replies: 7

I'm 25 years old and I don't know what's wrong with me. I am in my last semester of uni and I have no motivation at all to complete anything and when I do, it's a struggle. It's really scary. Previously to this semester, I was doing quite well academ... View more

I'm 25 years old and I don't know what's wrong with me. I am in my last semester of uni and I have no motivation at all to complete anything and when I do, it's a struggle. It's really scary. Previously to this semester, I was doing quite well academically and prided myself on my strong writing abilities, but now it seems I have forgotten everything. I am even struggling writing this post and thinking clearly. I feel numb and helpless. I was taking medication for anxiety a few months ago and told my doctor that I didn't need them anymore, but now I feel I have depression. I feel if I were to see my GP again and possible get counselling help, it would take too much time out of my degree and I'm not sure if I can afford it. What should I do? I don't wanna ruin my life. I just wanna be happy and motivated again.

emilymollie found, but lost
  • replies: 2

Hello, My name is Emily, I am sixteen years old and Australian. Approximately two years ago I started to develop symptoms of depression. My life had turned miserable, my dad was gambling all our money away which made my mum cry all the time, my siste... View more

Hello, My name is Emily, I am sixteen years old and Australian. Approximately two years ago I started to develop symptoms of depression. My life had turned miserable, my dad was gambling all our money away which made my mum cry all the time, my sisters were crying because they were hearing the fights, and I was just there. So I hid away in my room, by myself with no one too talk too. I didnt know how too cope with what was happening at home, or the usual teenage drama. I was beginning to not associate with anyone, and make up excuses so i didnt have to do anything or leave my dark, and lonely room. I dont think the fact that I had low self esteem and hated myself helped the depression get worse and worse. But the biggest regret of my life was October, the 16th. This was the day that I lost control of my emotions and I harmed myself. For the first time at 15 years of age, I self harmed. Psychologically, it helps release the emotional pain through physical pain. When I finished I was horrified. I didnt know how I could have sunk so low, and worse, that it felt so so good. I hated myself and so I started harming everytime I lost a battle with myself. There are scars up my arm, and I could tell you what happened that caused every single one. Another year had past and I was worse than ever. By this point I was ready to die. I had given up so badly on everyone, and everything that made me happy. The only time I went out was to get drunk with my friends so I could forget abot everything and the pain would go away. But that only seemed to last for the night. I also did a few stupid things with a few boys that I wish I could take back. Having no self respect meant that I didnt care if anyone else respected me. It was a shit day at school and I came home too the house, that was empty. I was alone, and it seemed perfect. This was a way out! I could end this pain that was bottled up inside me. Beforehand I wrote out notes to every member of my family. I was almost unconscious until my mother came home. She saved me, even though at the time I didnt want to be saved. I'll keep writing about the next year some other time, but thats why I am here, and still alive.

Zach What's wrong with me?

I'm in year 12, I play high-level basketball and at the moment it looks like I'll get the ATAR I need to do Biomedical Engineering on the other side of Australia at uni next year. I feel like I'm never good enough and I'm always letting everyone down... View more

I'm in year 12, I play high-level basketball and at the moment it looks like I'll get the ATAR I need to do Biomedical Engineering on the other side of Australia at uni next year. I feel like I'm never good enough and I'm always letting everyone down. I constantly try to improve myself. I'm not perfect enough for my parents, my teachers, or my friends. I can't sleep, I can't stop over-thinking every detail of what I've done or what I want to do, I get weird moments where I get really hot but start shivering and my chest gets tight when I think too much about it in public, I've been sick with the flu for 2 months and I've gone from having heaps and heaps of friends to even my best friend texting me this morning saying "Our friendship=over. I'm sick of you and all your problems.". I'm bad to my friends and I can't tell I'm doing it anymore. I can't keep living like this. Please help me understand what's going on.