FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and University.

unigirl1994
Community Member
I've had anxiety as far back as I could remember. Sitting outside my neighbours house as a child reciting to myself how to ask them for some flour or something because my mum asked me to, wanting to run away and pretend they weren't home. Now I'm in uni, it's gotten worse especially this year as it's my last year and I'm feeling an insane amount of pressure. Never get great grades as I procrastinate and my anxiety gets the best of me.
So in my course for all classes we are allowed to have 2 days off without explanation and I've already taken one off for each due to a sinus infection that lasted a week. So today I'm lying in bed, with insane chills to the point where I can barely move (had already had hot shower) and I decided to take my second day off. However the next hour was filled with me second guessing myself and nearly having a panic attack at the thought of missing a class for some reason and making my boyfriend disappointed in me. So half an hour before class starts I rush to get ready but just as I leave, realize I'm being ridiculous and won't make it in time considering travel and parking as well as preparing for my tutorial. So I'm sitting here, riddled with anxiety about missing my second class for fear of wasting my day off when I should be relaxing in bed. I'm worried when my boyfriend wakes up he'll be mad that I stayed home for no reason so I'm determined to go to my afternoon class so no one thinks I'm being lazy but I still feel ridiculously panicked about it all.... anxiety sucks 😞 I've also been really worried as everyone expects me to use my degree as soon as I leave uni but I have no idea what I want to do with it to be honest or even when I'll use it (creative arts degree, yes I know, most people think it's a bludge degree).
2 Replies 2

Zeal
Community Member

Hi unigirl,

I'm 22, and in my second year of a psychology degree at university. I don't think creative arts is a waste of time. I'm actually taking two creative writing elective subjects next semester! Anxiety can be very crippling. Thanks to anxiety and an eating disorder, I had to drop out of both study semesters in 2012, and only did one subject per semester in 2013! So, don't feel guilty or lazy, because you're certainly not :)

I recommend making an appointment with your GP. It sounds as though you haven't sought help for your anxiety before. Your GP can provide great support; they may also refer you to a psychologist or counsellor for diagnosis, if necessary.

After you’ve been to your GP, making an appointment with your university's Disability Service and/or Counselling Service is a good idea. This is usually free, and is always confidential. Anything you say during the appointment will not affect your transcript or employability. Students with mental health conditions may be granted "special provisions", which can help with assessment. Some people can get assignment extensions without a medical certificate, for example.

The most important thing is that you talk to someone about what you're going through. Feeling as though you have someone to go to when you're feeling overwhelmed is vital. Good luck for your final year! If you don't think you want to do an Honours year, you just need to pass everything in order to graduate! Having said that, if you can get slightly higher marks as well, that will be advantageous.

Going to my uni's Disability Service was the best decision I ever made. I never take advantage of my special provisions, but it has been a great help to be able to get a few days or even a week's extra time for assessment pieces without having to be "ill" in the conventional sense (i.e. have the flu or an infection). Having a mental illness is not a weakness. I no longer have an eating disorder, and live with mild to moderate OCD which is manageable, thanks to medication and a positive attitude. There is a good chance you won't need medication. I take antidepressants because my brain doesn't produce enough serotonin.

Good luck with this year at uni, and feel free to reply or repost :)

Take care,

SM

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi unigirl1994,

Welcome back, and sorry to hear things are still a struggle at uni for you. I've noticed you have started a couple of threads on this topic already, which got a lot of replies. 

You'd be more likely to get responses if you continue to post in one of your old threads, to continue conversations with the members you'd already reached out to. I'm going to close this thread and direct you and anyone reading to both your earlier threads.

If you like, you can copy and paste your post above into one of your older threads to update people on how you've been going since you last posted:

Anxiety is ruining my studies

Procrastination, constant anxiety, worried about failing university

Below are another couple of threads from other users similar to yours too - you might want to reach out to members in these:

Performance anxiety regarding university

Anxiety at university

Struggling with uni, work and pressure