FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Young at Heart

H-app_y
Community Member

Hello . Just joined the beyond blue forums. Thank you for having me. I've suffered anxiety depression ptsd for many years and recently went through a traumatic experience that had affected me so much that I feel I'm regressing instead being stabilised. All suggestions welcomed of how to get over this . Thank you for reading. 

10 Replies 10

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi H-app_y,

I'm sorry to hear about your recent traumatic experience and ongoing mental health challenges. It must be very frustrating. As you've been fighting this for years, do you want to share what professional treatment you have had, is there any support from family/friends, and what self-care practice you have put in place?

Warmly,

Mark

ABC01
Community Member

Dear h-app_y,

After reading your post my first thought is have you connected with any mental health professionals to discuss what you are feeling and allowing them to try to tackle this?

In the meantime can you make a list of anything that brings you a smidge of joy. And incorporate just one of those things on your list into your day,each day. ie, chocolate,walking in a park with a fountain, playing soccer drills, volunteering at an organisation that is close to your heart, cooking a certain cuisine, playing an instrument ect. Just one thing per day can introduce a little happiness into it,even if you have no motivation to do it.

Routine is so important.Eating 3 meals a day, sleeping at the same time, small amount of exercise and keeping your appointments.

Writing down your feelings as you have them helps to get them out of your head and keep going with your day. It also may help to identify questions you would like to ask your professionals in helping you move forward.

Connecting with people who love you or you love them is great. Just so they know to check in on you every so often.

Self love is important,so try a bath bomb, a new shower gel or a hair mask for your bath routine. Maybe a soft new blanket to keep you warm in winter.

And maybe you may develop a new skill at night time to occupy you before bed.

Remember to be kind to yourself.

ABC01

H-app_y
Community Member

Hello Mark Z, thank you also for your kind reply. 

I have anxiety depression ptsd that I've managed very well over the past 34yrs with coping strategies I had to learn how to deal by myself.

Yes I am on medication & being monitored. Sorry but I don't know how or where to start  without sounding all mumble jumble. (I've had better days, so finding it difficult to put 2 words together) Currently going through a terrible anxiety attack.. sorry it's too painful to talk about it.  That what has triggered it off. Will do my best to answer your questions another time.

Thank you kindly

H-app_y
Community Member

Thank you for suggestions 

Beautifully written. 

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi mate,

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through such a difficult time right now. You don't need to apologise for anything at all, completely understand how overwhelming anxiety attacks can be, and I appreciate you reaching out even when it's hard to put words together.

Glad to hear you're on medication and being monitored. Your resilience in managing your conditions for so many years is truly admirable. Our journey of healing isn't always linear, and it's okay to have setbacks. You've overcome challenges before, and you have the strength to do it again.

Please don't feel pressured to share more until you're ready. Taking all the time you need to focus on your own well-being is the most important thing. If there's anything we can do on this forum to support you – whether it's just listening or helping with practical advices – please let us know. You're not alone in this.

Sending you warm thoughts and hoping for easier days ahead.
Take care,

Mark

Happylife
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello H-app_y,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your experience.  Really sorry to hear about what you are going through. 

You should be so proud of yourself for managing these issues for such a long time. I am sure whatever you are going through will be just a temporary phase and you will come back stronger as you have done before.

In the meantime, maybe try mindfulness - this really works for me. You can also try and do things that you love and makes you happy which may seem difficult at that particular time but can really help you calm your mind.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to chat anytime and let us know how you are going, happy to support in whatever way I can.

Hugs to you, take care...

Happylife

H-app_y
Community Member

Thanks Mark Z for your insightful letter. Yes it does take a lot of inner strength courage & resilience to bounce back when stuck in this ongoing turmoil. I have been doing a voluntary work for well over 50years by listening to others with their issues guiding to the right direction. As you well know, many others do too, those who give of themselves to help support those in need are usually the first who burnout. Yes I love helping people who suffer mh .. there comes a time I need to step back & needing some support. I joined the forums because we all have a measure of understanding each other though each individual is emotionally different. What I'm asking from beyond blue is take me patiently.  Currently I'm in a emotional fragile state. .. taking each day as it comes, very slowly 🐌 Am looking in the area under  Staying Well.

Please bear with me patiently. Still learning how to navigate the forums . 

Thank you kindly. 

Hi Happy life.  Hugs for you too. 🙂 Enjoyed reading your post & what works best for you.  I'm not really into mindfulness yet thanks for your suggestion anyway 🙂 Will definitely try my best to keep you & others informed of how I'm faring. Still learning how to navigate forums. This is all new to me had to a crash course of how to use digital things back in 2020 lock down days. Haven't improved much but try best to learn.  Today I found all this digital technology so overwhelming that it triggered off another ongoing anxiety attack.  Please everyone be patient with Mt with modern technology.  Take care with warm regards 

Happylife
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi H-app_y,

So good to hear from you😊. You are not alone in this, technology can be crazy sometimes, everyday something new pops up and we have to learn and navigate through, so take your time and No pressure at all.

Please be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can.

Always here to listen and help if you need.

Take care...