FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Social Anxiety is stopping my gaining employment

Timmyabcd
Community Member
I'm 19 years old and think i have social anxiety, i feel as though everyone is judging me and looking at me. I avoid crowds, and i can't eat in front of people as i feel they are judging me. I overthink everything, and stress and have panic attacks. I am finding it hard to get a job, any words of advice to help me overcome this?
3 Replies 3

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Timmyabcd,

I know social anxiety can be very debilitating. It can affect so many areas of a person’s life...it must be awful feeling as though everyone is staring and judging. I hope it’s okay if I gently reassure you that this is a supportive and safe place for you to share your troubles...

I feel social anxiety definitely can make job hunting more challenging, especially when there are things like potential interviews, etc to face. I feel for you...

My gentle suggestion is a good first step that you might want to consider taking is going right to the basics. By basics, I am suggesting (only if you haven’t already) that you book an extended appointment with your GP to discuss your mental health and struggles. S/he might be able to more concretely pinpoint a cause of your current mental health struggles and offer additional support. For example, writing up a mental health care plan which entitles you to a set number of Medicare rebatable psychologist visits. If your GP doesn’t bring it up, you could enquire about the mental health care plan (if you’re interested).

Sorry, I realise that you asked more about jobs and may be wondering what a GP (and Medicare debatable psych visits) have anything to do with job hunting. The reason that I’m suggesting seeing a GP (and potentially a psychologist) is because I feel perhaps it might help to tackle the real underlying issue first e.g. anxiety, etc. Then once you’ve found ways to manage it, I think you will be in a much better headspace to look for a job, etc.

That being said, it’s just a little suggestion. You may or may not find it is what you need, but I wished to share my ideas with you anyway. I hope that’s okay...

Good on you for bravely reaching out here. When and if you’re feeling up to it, no pressure of course, it would be great to hear how you’ve been going since your first post.

Thinking of you.

Kind thoughts.

Pepper

Hi Timmyabcd

Welcome to the bb forum and thank you for sharing your story.

I am a mum who cares for a child (young adult like you) who experiences anxiety. From my experience, Pepper's suggestion to see your GP is spot on for two important reasons.

Firstly, when anxiety is affecting your ability to live your best life it really is time to act. Secondly, anxiety is treatable and with the right treatment many people recover. It can get better.

Seeking help is a really hard first step but if you haven't already done so, I encourage you to try. If not with your GP then perhaps your local headspace centre.

If you have already done this perhaps you'd like to talk about how it went (entirely up to you). Knowing a little bit more might help us all to provide more relevant, specific advice.

Kind thoughts to you

Luna_L_
Community Member

Thank you for your post.

I’m also 19 and I also experience social anxiety. I have trouble making friends for that reason. I’ve started looking for a job this year, however I’m still unemployed. When I got my first interview offer, I was so anxious that I didn’t go and missed a good opportunity. However I overcame that fear by going to my second interview and it isn’t as bad as you think. Try to get social support from your family, or professional help. Don’t give up from looking for a job though.