FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Monthly Forums Update: Reflecting Back on 2022

Sophie_M

Hey everyone, 

As 2023 approaches, we'd love to take the time to reflect on the year that was. It's been a big year, throughout which this community made time and held space for openness, vulnerability, kindness and connection.  

In July, we went live with a new and improved Forums platform. It’s been a huge change, but the most brilliant thing is how this community has supported each other through the changes, sharing tips, feeding back, and helping one another to adjust.   

Together, you've shared over 44,000 posts and Supported other's posts over 13000 times, showing each other there is always someone here who cares. In 2022, we've also welcomed over 8,500 new members.
So we want to end the year with an enormous thank you to everyone reading. To everyone who has started discussions, joined in on word games, kept up with friends, and those just passing through and reading – thank you for making this community what it is.  

Community Voices: What are people talking about in 2022?   

How to feel 'connected' without reaching out? Great question, so many great answers. Pets, great tv, online forums like this one are just a few of them... from Willow Jude 🙂

Beyond Blue's fundraising efforts this year inspired this awesome spot to share your dream dinner party, Big Blue Table Forum Style! Summer Rose started this awesome thread in October to commemorate Mental Health Month. Come and share your best dishes and dream guests.  

quirkywords asked the Forums What gives you comfort? earlier this year, and there is so much warmth, kindness and comfort on this thread.

We'd love to hear which your favourite conversations of 2022 have been! Please share them below if you feel comfortable to. 🙂

Valued Contributor  

Our Valued Contributor for the month of December is Trans22!

To read more about what a Valued Contributor is and how you can nominate a fellow community member, check out the 'Nominate a Valued Contributor' thread, here. 

10 Replies 10

Sophie_M

Hi All,  

Thank you all for your wonderful posts and threads offering support and kindness through what has been a difficult month for many. It is an amazing strength of this community that when members need extra support you are there for them.  

There have been over 4,500 posts + almost 250 new threads offering validation, empowerment, fun and connection. We are incredibly lucky to have such an active and caring set of users that are always looking to offer support safely and with compassion.  

A busy month that included Harmony week, Trans Day of Visibility + World Bipolar day, as well as the Sydney Coastrek which saw heaps of Beyond Blue supporters walking and talking together.  

We look forward to seeing these conversation grow as this community continue to thrive while demonstrating the power of peer-to-peer connection.  

Community Voices: What are people talking about? 

We’ve seen some challenging conversations being had across this community including those about:  

Managing Life Milestones 

I've been feeling really at a loss lately. I can't work out if I'm young or old. I don't feel old, but I know I've been around for thirty years. Feels overwhelming like I'm not ready to cope with the changes that come with being 30. I get the sense that time is moving on and I'm no longer in my youth, or that it is moving away from me. - Cno1234 (Read more here)

I am reaching 39 in a couple of months, and not a day goes by without obsessively thinking about reaching the big "4". I feel like I'm wholly unprepared and not mentally ready to be reaching what I consider to be nearing my sunset years. - Daniel_83 (Read more here)

I'm only recently into adulthood, and I've already learnt so much. It's quite enjoyable getting to experience a greater level of independence, and even watching all my friends from school/childhood adapt to adulthood as well. - sbella02 (Read more here)

Events from near and far 

I have seen and heard so much that is going on with the war in Ukraine. My heart goes out to each and every one in Ukraine. Our minds can begin to spiral in a negative way which is sometimes fuelled by anxiety in regards to the war. - Petal22 (Read more here)  

I am writing to you from Brisbane. Know that I am safe but I know many who have been flooded or near to being flooded. The worst part right now is knowing when it will end. There are moments when the rain softens and then comes down harder than before - smallwolf (Read more here)

Staying well 

Finding glimmers in PTSD and trauma: So I've been reading about glimmers lately and thought it might be useful for other people too... Some of the ones I can think of and find is cuddling my dog, smelling a vanilla candle and looking at the plants around my house. and the beach; I always feel safe at the beach 😊  - romantic_thi3f (Read more here

Valued Contributor Award 

Our Valued Contributor for the month of March is ‘yggdrasil’! 

Yggdrasil has been nominated for offering genuine peer support across the community, taking the time to reflect on someone's journey while remaining curious about what resources and or ways of coping will be supportive to one's wellbeing. Thank you yggdrasil!

To read more about what a Valued Contributor is and how you can nominate a fellow community member, please refer to our 'Nominate a Valued Contributor' thread, here. 

BB News/Resources 

When symptoms of COVID-19 linger for months, the mental health impacts can be significant. Here we provide some suggestions to help you manage your mental health if you have long COVID, or if you are anxious about developing it. 

Sometimes the headlines can become all too much - here's what you can do when that happens. 

Emily shares her journey of depression, anxiety and ultimately, hope. Watch the video here.  

Being part of an inclusive community is good for everyone. Here’s how to encourage and enjoy a genuine ‘we’re all in this together’ feeling. 

Follow us! 

Facebook: @beyondblue                                   Twitter: @beyondblue 

Instagram: @beyondblueofficial                          LinkedIn: company/beyondblue 

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you, Sophie_M 😸

& thank you to all members who have participated in discussions across all the forums.

If I'd never realised I need people to talk to, I'd be crying into an empty midnight sky, to no-one, as unheard & silenced as I used to be.

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ ...oh, wait - these❤️❤️❤️use up the character count, too? I can't put in enough for everyone! You'll just have to share or grow your own... 😺

mmMekitty

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Sophie, I'd like to join mmMekitty in thanking you for your update and know you work the 'wee hours' of the morning and appreciate all the help you have provided to all of us and hold you in high esteem.

My best.

Geoff.

Sophie_M

Hi All,  

Thank you all for your wonderful posts and threads offering support and kindness through October! It’s been Mental Health Month, and so it’s as great a time as any to celebrate the incredible connection and conversations that we’ve seen across the community this month.

We’ve seen some incredible conversations this month, here’s a few gems:

Big Blue Table Forum Style by Summer Rose

"Some of you may know that Beyondblue recently launched a new fundraising event called the Big Blue Table, which runs during Mental Health Month (October). The idea is for people to invite guests to share a meal and start a conversation about mental health. 
I thought we could honour the sentiment here but keep the conversation light in keeping with this thread."

Tips on how to get the most out of therapy? by GreenEgg

"I recently had my first session with a psychologist. I have my second one in a couple of weeks and I’m just wondering how I can get the most out of it. Do you have any tips on what’s worked for you?"

Recovery from suicide attempt - it can be done by Junior1962

"Hi everyone, I wanted to post something positive about how recovery from being suicidal can happen. Very few people know what I did. I haven’t felt ready to tell them. But my whole outlook has changed."

Valued Contributor Award 

Our Valued Contributor for the month of October is Eagle Ray! 

To read more about what a Valued Contributor is and how you can nominate a fellow community member, check out the 'Nominate a Valued Contributor' thread, here. 

Eagle Ray for VCA, great choice.

TonyWK

Thank you so much Tony. I had a rough week so it gave me a lift to think I might be of help to others. Thank you BB also for providing such a valuable platform for people who are vulnerable 🙏😊

Sophie_M

Hey everyone,  

The end of the year can be a really mixed experience, so the friendships, support and space this community holds for each other are invaluable. We’ve seen over 2000 new posts and 200 new discussions this month. In those numbers, we’ve seen moments of kindness, connection, relief and understanding. There's also been over 250 new registrations in November. If you’ve recently joined, welcome!

A few members have revisited a discussion about beauty standards and feeling unhappy with our appearance - I feel ugly

Awhina24 has started a conversation about feeling scared about climate change, and feeling worried for the future - Parent with eco-anxiety - help!

PandoranMama has set up an awesome space for sharing positive LGTBQIA+ stories - Some LGBTQA+ Positivity!

Valued Contributor Award

Our Valued Contributor for this month is tmas!

To read more about what a Valued Contributor is and how you can nominate a fellow community member, check out the 'Nominate a Valued Contributor' thread.

Spotlight on... our Community Champions

The 'Champs' are volunteers who regularly visit the Forums, know the place well, and make it the wonderful and peer-led space it is. If you'd like to learn a bit more about the Champs, they’ve all introduced themselves on this thread: Introducing... the Community Champions

Sophie thanks for the monthly summary.

Everyone who reads and or posts helps the forums. I learn so much from members posts, 

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sophie , thanks for your yearly summary.