FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mental Health worker professional development plan!

H-G
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi, everyone!

Im in the process of getting my Diploma of Community Services by the end of next year and as someone who already had strong experiences with depression and anxiety I’d like to use my experience on helping others that also go through this kind of issues. Mental health is my main interest so far. Some of you guys that may be already working in this sector are able to share a bit of the paths you’ve been going through in order to improve your own professional performance, getting new skills and make yourself more prepared and updated regarding the professional scenario? What skills do you guys believe are essential for this role? Are there Some basics steps one should take in order to work with clients dealing with mental health issues? Any advice and recommendations are welcome! Thanks ! 🙂

5 Replies 5

sisu100
Community Member

Hi H-G,

Welcome to the forums! That's so exciting that you will be completing your diploma next year! How are you finding the course so far? That's so kind and generous of you to be using your experience to help others, it sounds like you've definitely picked the right field to work in! Did you have a particular role you were interested in getting after you finish studying?

I'm also super interested in mental health and am currently completing a masters in psychology and will finish next year like you. I would also be keen to hear about others' pathways too 🙂

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello H-G

Welcome to the forum.

Having a lived experience of poor mental health is invaluable I believe. No matter what sort of experience you have it does mean we can more easily empathize with others going through their own journey. To know and understand the reasons that cause some people to try to hide their pain, frustration and feelings of worthlessness is priceless. No knowledge can show you what it feels like to be unwell.

Having said that I also believe the more we know about mental health the better off we are to combat this stuff. The 'aha' moment when your study and real life meet. I think it gives a person hope to get through and out of their situation.

In terms of specific learning there are a number of stand alone courses to further your professional development. I expect you can google some of these. Their is a short course called First Aid for Mental Health which I attended many years ago and is still going strong. Check some of the various web sites such as Lifeline and SANE and TAFE to see what they have to offer. I think you will be surprised at the variety offered.

Thank you for your interest in mental health. Please continue to post here if you find it helpful.

Mary

H-G
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi, sisu100!

Thanks for your kind words! The course has been great! Teachers are awesome...its a shame that now, with the COVID situation, classes are online and our placement was postponed.

Psychology sounds exciting...I thought about studying psychology until i found out the diploma of community services. Maybe Ill do in the future! I’m not sure about the role yet...we gonna go further on mental health topics next year, so until there I think I’ll have a better idea. 😄

H-G
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi, white Rose!

Yeah, empathy was what I missed the most on the mental health professionals Ive searched for ...I didn’t have good experiencies until I met someone who really showed their wish to help healing And support people. I’m excited and looking forward to be working in the sector and learning more and more about it! Thanks for your words and recommendations! I’ll check it out! 😄

JamesBell45
Community Member
Dude, you can find all the information on the internet. Besides, you should find out all the information about it before contacting any company.