FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Just introducing myself, so salvete.

Mens_Amitti
Community Member

I'm new to this forum, so I am a little unsure of what to put in my introduction.

I've got depression, bipolar, ADHD, epilepsy, paranoia, and a number of problems that I acquired over the years. While they are mostly under control, I also have been put in a situation where I lost my job due to injury, my ex took my retirement payout and my son, and I am only still in a house because I was bailed out by my parents. While I would claim to have been never at fault, my mother has been instrumental in destroying every meaningful relationship I've had since the 90s, including one engagement and one marriage. I always grew up with the mindset that I should just be understanding of her, since that is what my father told me at a young age. I always tried to be strong, to ignore bad things and focus on the good, until one day I just snapped. I tried to end my life, but was talked down, by my neighbour, I tried to OD, and woke up 3 months later in hospital, I spent time at a mental health facility, and a psychiatrist helped me find meds to help. But I have always felt trapped by my overbearing mother, unable to escape (think of Mother-Pink Floyd). Once I needed financial help, I had to sell them my house else I would be homeless, so now I don't even have say over my home, since I just rent half of it. I have just lost all will to keep moving forward. I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel anymore. I'm just mentally, emotionally and physically exhausted. Every day I just go through the motions. Not sad, not happy, not angy, just existing. No sense of purpose or worth, self esteem, or sense of self. I occasionally get to see my son, and he is the only reason I can stave off suicidal thoughts. 

So, that's me. Pretty damaged any messed up. Though I always put on a smile and a happy facade when I go out, because social interaction is the only thing that keeps me going.

1 Reply 1

Sophie_M
Hi Mens_Amitti, 

Welcome to the forums, we are so glad that you've taken a big step in sharing here. We hope you find some comfort in sharing here, it sounds like you've been through some incredibly tough times and we thank you for having the bravery to share.

We are sorry to hear you are going through a difficult time, it sounds like you are isolated and feeling quite trapped in your situation. It's difficult when the people we do have in our lives are unsupportive or controlling. It can be exhausting feeling like you are just going through the motions everyday but we are glad to hear that your son brings you a feeling of joy. We want you to know that we are here for you and we hope our community will be able to relate to what you are going through.

We've attached some articles that may be of interest in the meantime, we know you've probably heard these tips before but we wanted to include some resources that might spark some ideas, we know how exhausted you feel but sometimes one little step can give us the hope to recover:
If you ever want to talk this through with one of the Beyond Blue counsellors, feel free to give us a call on 1300 22 4636, or reach out through Online Chat here.   Thank you for sharing this and giving this community a chance to offer you their understanding and advice. We’re here to listen and offer support, and you never know how your story might help someone else.  

Kind regards,  

Sophie M