FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I’m new and very nervous

jas200
Community Member

Hi im jas,

the past year has been very difficult for me and i have really struggled in reaching out to my friends and family for help in terms of my mental health. If anyone has tips or advice for asking loved ones for help even if you don’t understand what your going through it would be much appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

4 Replies 4

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Jas, and welcome to the site.

There are many different options you can think about

-say that you want to see your doctor but are afraid to go by yourself and whether they could come with you, this will open up a conversation between the two of you

-ask them if they have noticed a change in you over the last few days/weeks

-how did they feel if you didn't go to a party/gathering with them

-speak to them whether or not they have felt exactly the same as you're feeling, you don't have to tell them unless the conversation begins to open up

-query them if they have not done anything because they were feeling------

Remember the person you always thought would be the one to help you may not be so, it could be the quiet person who sticks by you, but you won't know until the discussion begins, and someone may help you at the beginning but decide to stay in the background, either talking with you or going away.

We only find out who our true friends are when we desperately want them and be prepared for any surprises, but if you have a good relationship with your doctor please make an appointment and ask them about the 'mental health plan', this entitles you to 10 Medicare paid sessions per year.

Please try and begin talking with someone before all of this builds up.

Take care.

Geoff.

Positive_vibes89
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Jas, thank you for reaching out to us on the forum.

Sounds like a hard situation you are in and I can understand how you may feel. I can suggest you call

beyond blue phone support if you feel uncomfortable speaking to your friends and loved ones. The service is confidential. I believe that you need to make an appointment with your GP to discuss your mental health related experiences so they can help make a diagnosis and treatment plan for you. As far as family comes, is there one family member that you are really close with or a friend? If you have a strong relationship with that person they are the best to talk with. You dont need to explain to them in detail, maybe that you just need help with going to see a GP. You dont need to feel that you have to tell them everything if you are not comfortable.

Geoff has some good advice too. I hope what we have suggested helps you in some way.

Stay safe.

Pos vibes

missep123
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi jas200,

A very warm welcome to the forums! You have come to a very supportive and open place to vocalise what you are going through so I hope you will not feel alone as we are definitely here for you!

For myself when I have needed to reach out I like to pick the people I know who will be open or have been the most supportive. It can be difficult to tell them what you are going through at first but what I have found is that being vulnerable like this can make relationships become even closer and you truly learn who is there for you.

In saying that, we are definitely here for you! Please continue to reach out whenever you'd like to do so!

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Jas,

I'm Jas too! 🙂

I am sorry you are going through a tough time. Although, you have come to the right place for support.

Some tips from me:

- approach a friend or family member that you feel most comfortable with and say "hey can we talk? i need some support right now"

- see you GP and obtain a mental health care plan

- it can be daunting to ask for help, and that's okay. but most people will be willing to help, you just need to overcome the hurdle of stepping up.

I hope things improve for you,

Jaz