FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I am new to this site, I am really hoping it will be a big help.

Lizred
Community Member

Good morning!

I am new here but I have read through some posts and really connected with some of them and I have gone to post a few times but never followed through. My main goal is connecting with others around me who are going through the same things, my doctor thought finding a forum or a group I could chat with would help with my recovery. So here is a little something about myself -I am married to a pretty amazing man, we have been together for 8 yrs and married 7 yrs, I had 6 children when we met and had 2 children together. I myself have gotten back into studying graphic design and half way through that. I am a stay at home mum at this point and hoping I can get back into some type of job next year after I finish my studies. A few months ago I was diagnosed with BD1 (Bipolar Disorder 1) Rapid cycling, PTSD and some tendencies of other things. I have heard about Bipolar and PTSD before as I had been told a few time over the years that I should see someone for it and be treated for it but I had always ignored this information, now I look back I realise this was stupid of me to ignore but here I am. Growing up I never thought that I was the problem, I always thought it was everyone else, I was higher then life and wanted to enjoy everything all at once and everyone wanted to hold me down, there were the rare times I was so low that I really struggled to be involved with life, there were other times I could not explain why I did things or wanted to do things. I always put it back down to the way I grew up and because life was not easy. I had a bad childhood and up bringing so I just assumed my behaviour, changes and feeling were a product of a stressful situations. Anyway here I am things got so out of control the last 2yrs and I was forced to get help. I am now on medication that is working for me though I struggle every day with taking it and understanding the changes. I struggle with the lack of energy that is a major change to my system. There is much more I have to learn and struggle through, I feel like just to stay normal I have to stay sedated. I don't know its a lot of changes to adapt too and I am hoping that with this site and having other that hopefully understand what I am going through will help me with some answers or ways to get through everyday life. I have so many questions and things to say but all in good time I suppose.

2 Replies 2

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Lizred,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story.

I am so impressed you have 8 children, are they all at home.

I have 3 grown up children and I was diagnosed with bipolar( when it was known as manic depression) over 40 years ago but it took me 16 years of denial before I got help.

I can relate to what you have written especially the lack of energy and always being tired.On medication it can take a while for it to settle down and to get used to the changes.

Do you have support and understanding from your husband.?

Feel free to ask as many questions as you like here and you can have a look at This bipolar thread which is a friendly and supportive,.

Well done for having the courage to start this thread. When you are ready ask any question you like, we are here listening to you.

Quirky

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Lizred,

I too welcome you to the community here. I see Quirky has dropped by to say hi to you. Hope you will have a look at the thread she mentioned as there has been quite a discussion happening there over time.

I don't have bipolar but have been diagnosed with a few other issues that help keep life "Interesting" for me and those around me.

Have you found that since you have a diagnosis it makes it easier for you to understand why yo think and act the way you do? I found that was the case for me.

Reading about my conditions and working out strategies that will make my life easier have helped.

Medications can have side effects. I ask myself sometimes what is the alternative and home the side effects reduce in time.

It is great you found the courage to start a thread!

Wishing you all the best in your journey of discovery.

Cheers from Dools