FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi this is Doolhof, anyone want to chat?

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everyone,

This is an open discussion, sometimes it is comforting to just have a chat with someone. You might like to mention the weather in your area, a book you are reading, a new recipe, or just chat about your day and expectations for the future.

Me, I would like a holiday somewhere near a beach where the water is warm enough to swim in, maybe a resort where all the food is organised and I don't have to do the dishes! A massage would be good, a shady place to sit and watch the ocean, fresh coconuts to drink and tropical fruits to enjoy.

Maybe I can dream of this while I am at work, it might help the day go quicker. 

Here we have a grey sky, it is windy and about 6 degrees outside.

I will just see who connects here, everyone is welcome. Regards to you all from Dools

30 Replies 30

Fiatlux
Community Member

Hi Doolhof,

Your post took me back to Daydream Island, where everyday is better than the last. I arrived there in late December 2019 and saw in the Near Year for 2020. I had never ever been to such a wonderful remarkable place. It really lived up to it's Daydream name. Chrystal clear, warm water. Tropical fish. Swimming with sting rays and sharks. I made friends with them. Everything you can imagine is catered for. How I long to return.

My reality today... The rain was heavy all of last night, but the sun is out this morning. I am working from home so I can see that the pool in the backyard is full to the brim. I have a pair of wild ducks that visit and nest every year. They must be waiting for their babies to hatch. Last year there were 13 ducklings.

I am about to have my second coffee and start doing some work. 

Have a wonderful day and enjoy your weekend, where ever you are. FiatLux 

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Doolhof,

If you don't like your job very much, do you want to share why? As there're a lot of opportunities on the market now, it's a good time to pursue your dream job. 

And your holiday dream is achievable, it's also a good time to start to plan for it.

Mark

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Dools, lovely idea for a thread topic. 🤗

Your holiday sounds beautiful and so relaxing. 
I'm a little afraid of thinking about a holiday anywhere, I do want to dream about things in my future.... bit too difficult to manage atm. Not sure how to manage this mentally? 

I'm simultaneously doing "too much" whilst never doing "enough". 

I have about 5 borrowed books my family gave to read.... haven't started any! 

I AM really enjoying the new Queer Eye series, omg it's soooooo gorge lol. Talk about simultaneous feelings... whilst watching these episodes, I can feel so happy for the people and cry with them lol!! 

High five for not doing the dishes LOL!! 

Love to you Dools and thank you,
EM

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Dools,

How are you keeping these days? I do like the idea of the beach holiday, it's icy cold here tonight, down to one degree.

I went to a new hairdresser the other day and the first thing she asked me as she was doing my hair, to make conversation, was did I have any grandchildren? Oh dear, it's so hard when you have to explain you don't have any or children!

I'm about to enjoy a nice pot of tea and a couple of bikkies and watch Gardening Australia! It's good to see you here again. 🙂🐕💞

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Hanna3,

Lovely of you to drop by. I don't mind the cold weather, it is easier for me to warm up then it is to cool down in the summer. I'm about to head off for a walk, it is reasonably warm at 10 degrees and it is raining. 

The question about having children can be awkward. I just say no and then talk about my nieces and nephews some times. 

Yesterday was actually the anniversary of our son's stillbirth. I had no one at work I felt I could share that with. My co-worker was in bully mode again, so she certainly wasn't the one to share with.

Hope the hair appointment went well.

If you could go anywhere in the world for a holiday where would that be?

Hope you have a good day.

Hi EM,

Lovely to see you here. Maybe instead of thinking of it as a holiday you may never be able to achieve, think of it as a way to calm your mind, a bit of mindful meditation to add a sense of relaxation and pleasure.

For me, just looking in travel brochures, at interesting places on the internet, or watching documentaries on T.V. can give me a sense of getting away. It can bring me a sense of pleasure and yes also annoyance at times that it is not possible to go where I'd like. Guess I choose my moments to indulge in such things.

It is complicated when we feel like we are doing so much and so little at the same time. Do lists help you? Tick off what you have achieved and be grateful for how much you have achieved. Even getting out of bed can be a huge achievement for some people!

Regarding your books, can you set aside 15 minutes a day or even once a week just to start one and see how you manage that. I sometimes tell myself I will read so many pages or a chapter.

I used to enjoy the Queer Eye series from years ago, they had excellent ideas. Might have to look for it.

Hope you find a sense of balance in your week. Wishing you all the best.

Hi Mark Z,

Thanks for joining in. Regarding my job I sometimes find it very stressful working as a receptionist. My co-worker can be a horrible bully, my team leader is her best friend and can just as rude, lots of people are abusive to receptionists and think it is acceptable behaviour. Yes I could change jobs only my sense of self is so depleted I have very little confidence I could gain other employment right now.

It is hard to plan for a holiday when funds don't currently cover medical necessities. Dreaming about them is free so I will keep doing that for a while. I try to make the most of my time off work, I enjoy going for a walk, taking a picnic meal and relaxing in nature.

I do have a 5 day break planned later in the year so I am looking forward to that.

Hope your weekend works well for you. 

Hi FiatLux,

Thanks for your chirpy comments. I really like the sound of Daydream Island. Maybe I will put that on my bucket list! In the mean time I will make a day to visit one of our local beaches, it will be a few months before they are warm enough to swim at here in the South of Australia.

Must be wonderful to have the ducks with all those ducklings, how exciting to see how many hatch. We have a lot of different birds visit our garden, especially in the summer, I put out numerous bird baths and some water in shallow trays for the ground critters.

We have a few varieties of lizards and I see some snakes. I don't mind the adult snakes, the baby ones creep me out a little when I find them while weeding. At least I can see the adult snakes easily!

I'm off for a walk and have to work later. It is very grey outside and drizzling. I can hear the birds chirping. Hope you have a good weekend.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Oh, here you are, Dools.😺I've been looking in all the wrong places, until now!

I’m so sorry your son was stillborn. I can’t imagine that’s a loss you ever get over. Do you set aside some time for him?

I like the sound of Fiatlux's Daydream Island holiday, with everything you could possibly want, just for the asking. Once I pay for something, it's easier to allow people to do for me than if I have to ask someone for a favour or help.

I was, however, thinking of the kitchen staff, who would have to get up before I do, in order to prepare whatever breakfasts all the paying guests might order. That's a lot of work, & I'm not even dressed yet!

I'd like to go on one of those luxury (0 risk) world-wide cruises. I would have a luxury suite, of-course. Personally, I would like one that has no alcohol or gambling, but, really, kids could be okay, even a lot of fun.

I like to hear when kids are happy, singing, laughing, playing together ... 😸. Ever watch kids when they are involved & entertained by people who know how to engage with them? There are colourful groups who we all can name, which do this very well.

One year, the local council organised a street parties, had a person telling stories, & the kids were so into it, in rapt attention, or yelling out answers to questions, or jumping with excitement. I sat a little off to the side, watching them, all my enjoyment coming from how they so spontaneously enjoyed the story out on the lawn.

I get uncomfortable with some of those casual questions, asked as if the answer is going to be a happy answer. It's the assumptions made I find irritating. Like, because I look female & have some grey hair means I must have kids, & now, adding the grey to the equation means I automatically have grandkids.

My disability usually means I live with someone, like family, who look after me, as if I’m incapable of independence. But, also, no one seems to imagine I could have a partner.

Weather is fine, bit cool for my liking, but really? It’s over 10° so what am I complaining about?!

Oh, space tourist! I'd like to do that. 😹

mmMekitty