FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Finding the courage to speak out

Blue_Dog
Community Member

My name is Kat and it is my first time to this forum.

I am not good at talking face to face about my disorder to anyone as it is too overwhelming to be summed up in a few words, not to mention impossible to explain to someone when you don't fully understand it yourself.

I have suffered depression/anxiety for many years, but have just lately started on a real downward spiral and feeling at a total loss, so while introducing myself to the members here,  I would also like to thank you all for being brave enough to speak out as you have so people like me can read here, feel a little less alone.

I will hopefully find the courage (and the words) to contribute to this forum soon, but until I do, just reading has been a big help, so thank you.

2 Replies 2

Grunt
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Kat,

welcome to the group! I remember not all that long ago being in the exact same position as you feel yourself in now and you're right, there is no easy way of putting it into just a few words so that you can try and seek the assistance you need. I believe you have made the most important step and that being the first one, you have recognised that something isn't right, you're not feeling yourself and you have started to seek assistance in a way that you feel comfortable with. If there's anything I've learnt in dealing with this over the past few years and reading other people's stories within this community is that there is no right or wrong way in dealing with this. There is no 'correct' first step.

If I could just briefly share some of my own experience of when I was in the situation you currently find yourself in. I remember feeling embarrassed because I didn't know what was happening to me. Eventually those close to me could start to see physical signs of distress and I eventually made the decision to go and see my GP. The reason I'm sharing this with you is because you stated that you are feeling overwhelmed by having to sum up what is happening to you in just a few words.  What I eventually found is that I initially had to do very little talking at all, my GP had all the questions, I simply had to supply the answers. I know you're not ready to take that step just yet but something to keep in mind 🙂

You stated that you hope to find the courage to be able to contribute to this forum soon, please take pride in the fact that you have already contributed to this forum. I hope you continue to post but obviously no rush, participate in whatever way makes you feel comfortable.

Grant.

White_Dog
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Kat,

Welcome to the community, honestly this is actually my first post as well.
I hope you are doing well, and I understand it being hard to talk about this stuff face to face, I struggled for about 2 years to accept my Depression and to become comfortable talking about it.
I sincerely hope you learn more about what is happening and that you start to feel happier with yourself and work through this, even though it may take time.

I look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future, however there is no rush until you feel comfortable, until then keep on moving forward, and I hope everything goes well for you! 🙂

Liam

P.S. I love your username