FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Confused, worn down, rock bottom

Split_peas
Community Member
Hi all, I’m 44 and have been having some strange mental health symptoms start up about 5 years ago. I also had undiagnosed issues as a child. I have been trying to get a diagnosis but can’t get help. I’ve been to so many dr, psychologist, psychiatrist etc. no one is diagnosing me with anything but they keep telling me I have a bunch of things and offering me anti depressants. This won’t help me. I’ve now given up and am too scared to go to a dr because any more rejections or shoulder shrugging will tip me over. I lost my job last year after telling them about these problems. I was forced to resign. Worked there for 18 years. I am lost and don’t think I will be able to cope alone soon
12 Replies 12

Thankyou, I’m glad you have found those moments of peace. I like knitting, reading, my animals, but I can’t sit still for too long. I don’t make it through a tv show anymore. Hahaha drives my kids crazy.

I’ve tried the breathing etc but it works very minimally if at all. I’m now finding if anything ‘negative ‘ happens around me I start shaking almost uncontrollably and I feel almost faint, but then it comes out as anger, or sadness. It’s like a release valve. I will try that book though, it sounds like it might be helpful:)

Hi Split peas

I have experience with anxiety - mine is in the form of generalised anxiety, general as in brought on by thinking about anything.

I’m with you regarding breathing. For people who have no problems (relatively speaking) but have anxiety, breathing might be good, but I find it absolutely terrible. There is one caveat though. I find it terrible when I’m really stressed by something I can’t avoid (eg work, a deadline), but for things that aren’t about avoiding but tolerating, I find breathing can help.

I think breathing and mindfulness and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (as I understand that’s what The happiness trap is based one, can be good for anxiety, but I wonder if it’s also because of your situation as well.

so you’re unemployed now, that sucks, I feel for you. Is your family managing to pay the bills or is that a problem too?

You said your kids have their own problems and you and your partner are struggling. Would you like to talk about those relationships?