Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

BOUNCINGBACKCHIP New to beyondblue
  • replies: 18

Hi all i am new to beyond blue and yes i suffer depression i am slowly finding my space at home getting smaller, would love to connect with people before i wind up in the wardrobe hiding from the world . I am a social person by nature and would hate ... View more

Hi all i am new to beyond blue and yes i suffer depression i am slowly finding my space at home getting smaller, would love to connect with people before i wind up in the wardrobe hiding from the world . I am a social person by nature and would hate to lose myself any further can anyone suggest a good way to connect with others here. Cheers Chip

Mares73 Ideas for connecting further-??BB next stage
  • replies: 5

Hi Christopher I appreciate the great work BB do and the limited resources you have. Taking that into consideration I'd still like to ask whether there is any remote possibility that BB could arrange some form of informal one day event in each state ... View more

Hi Christopher I appreciate the great work BB do and the limited resources you have. Taking that into consideration I'd still like to ask whether there is any remote possibility that BB could arrange some form of informal one day event in each state this year. I am asking for you to consider this because I have been quite amazed at the amount of members who experience social isolation generally & don't have ongoing support-yet these same people have commented that they would "love" to or would "definitely attend" such an event. Members are indicating that they have strong connections with other members & would really like the opportunity to meet each other in person. They would feel safe & comfortable doing so as they feel they know the members pretty well & also because it would be a safe environment given Beyond Blues high public profile. It depends on resources-there could be statewide education & information session days with open sessions for members that wanted to meet to do so. There could be information for carers & hopefully improve the understanding of depression & anxiety in the community. Potentially there could also be speakers. I just feel its such a lost opportunity if people who are isolated & stigmatised don't get this opportunity to meet & feel comfortable with others who they may relate to. And I think for the broader community in general this could be a great opportunity. What do you think? Mary

Chris_B Mental health apps - support on your smartphone
  • replies: 2

Hey everyone,beyondblue is looking into developing some smartphone/tablet apps this year that can provide support, resources etc. Very keen to hear your feedback on whether you currently use any apps that you find helpful, and/or what features you wo... View more

Hey everyone,beyondblue is looking into developing some smartphone/tablet apps this year that can provide support, resources etc. Very keen to hear your feedback on whether you currently use any apps that you find helpful, and/or what features you would find really helpful in an app.To give you an idea of the kind of thing that's out there already, here is a list from the US website PsychCentral to check out: http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2013/01/16/top-10-mental-health-apps/

joey mobile site or app

A BB mobile site or App would be great (for the forums especially). I am not on my computer that much and wouldn't go on BB website at work so often check from my phone but it's hard to navigate. Thanks Joey

A BB mobile site or App would be great (for the forums especially). I am not on my computer that much and wouldn't go on BB website at work so often check from my phone but it's hard to navigate. Thanks Joey

joey how far back do the archives go?
  • replies: 1

I was just wondering how far back the archives from the old BB site go? The earliest I found was dec 2011. I was trying to find some of my old posts from that site but they would of mostly been before mid 2011. When did the forum start - I feel like ... View more

I was just wondering how far back the archives from the old BB site go? The earliest I found was dec 2011. I was trying to find some of my old posts from that site but they would of mostly been before mid 2011. When did the forum start - I feel like I have been around on and off for nearly 10 years but is it that old? I remember I was also on another forum in the early 2000's. Joey

Suzbj Thank you for your Hope
  • replies: 6

I find that I am doing much better since being directed to this form by Christopher Banks. Thank you Christopher! I feel this forum helps me to stay more centred and less liable to be caught up in withdrawal, my thoughts... that then become potential... View more

I find that I am doing much better since being directed to this form by Christopher Banks. Thank you Christopher! I feel this forum helps me to stay more centred and less liable to be caught up in withdrawal, my thoughts... that then become potentially dark and even delusional thoughts. You, BB and staff, and all the people that post on this forum, give me hope! Thank you

Jo3 Merry Christmas to BB, and all forum members

Hi everyone, I actually wrote this post under Community ???? (the first heading) but am worried that it will get missed by a lot of people. I am writing to wish all staff at BB and online forum members a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!! I... View more

Hi everyone, I actually wrote this post under Community ???? (the first heading) but am worried that it will get missed by a lot of people. I am writing to wish all staff at BB and online forum members a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!! I joined BB about 6 months ago seeking to speak to others in similar situation as myself. I have been amazed at how much support, love and advice has been given to me over the 6 months. This is such a hard post to write, but I wanted to write something special from the bottom of my heart to each and everyone of you on BB. I suffer from depression, anxiety, borderline personality disorder, childhood sexual abuse and parents abandoning me 3 yrs ago when I told them of my abuse as a child. From my very first post to now I have always received beautiful, truly inspiring messages. Although some of my messages haven't been too great when I've hit rock bottom and thought I had no one to turn to - I would always get a reply back. Even those dark times when I've thought of suicide (2 days ago) I have received messages from you guys picking me up again and making me feel that I am worthy. Everyone has given me so much strength that I thought I never ever had. The encouragement and support is greatly appreciated. I know that my Christmas will be a bit overwhelming with no parents but I do have my hubby and 3 adult children that will be with me. I know I will probably have a cry (just like right now!!!) but I am sure I will be okay on the day. I have made so many "online forum friends" and I hope to continue sharing our stories and encouraging each other with love and support next year. I am so glad that BB exists, because if it wasn't for BB I know I wouldn't have met so many friends on here. So, everyone please take care over Christmas. I know it's a very difficult time for a lot of us, but try to share some joy and love with someone (even if it's your pet!!). Hope that everyone has a nice Christmas with their loved ones and hope that 2014 is a bigger and better year for everyone. Love Jo xx

beyond Wow awesome site, really helpful!
  • replies: 3

I just read about this site on the news and was pleasantly surprised to find the list of DIY help. I opened a word document and started making a list of goals and things that I enjoy. Recently I was actually struggling to think of goals and things I ... View more

I just read about this site on the news and was pleasantly surprised to find the list of DIY help. I opened a word document and started making a list of goals and things that I enjoy. Recently I was actually struggling to think of goals and things I like/would like to do. I cant wait to explore and see what else is offered on this site but even if nothing else appeals to me I'm in better spirits now than before I arrived and I'm heading in a new direction. Thank you

Pixie15 Size of pages on my screen
  • replies: 6

Hi, I am having trouble with the scale of Beyond Blue's pages on my computer screen. I do have a new computer but I am not having the same difficulty with any other sites. The posts are too wide for my screen for me to read them without scrolling bac... View more

Hi, I am having trouble with the scale of Beyond Blue's pages on my computer screen. I do have a new computer but I am not having the same difficulty with any other sites. The posts are too wide for my screen for me to read them without scrolling back and forth. Am I the only one having this difficulty. Obviously if I am it would be something to do with my computer. With thanks, Mulberry.

The_Real_David_Charles Man Therapy = Social Sterotype Therapy ?
  • replies: 14

Dear BB, There are so many types of man I guess this ad is geared at poking fun and creating awareness. It's soooo much better than MY NAME IS ANXIETY. Although I do have one question - it kind of implies that men need therapy and yet some men, say N... View more

Dear BB, There are so many types of man I guess this ad is geared at poking fun and creating awareness. It's soooo much better than MY NAME IS ANXIETY. Although I do have one question - it kind of implies that men need therapy and yet some men, say Nelson Mandela or Johnny Rotten, might not need or be beyond therapy. Assumptions, assumptions. Lol. Adios, David.