Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Goanna hi im new to this site, my feelings have brought me here.
  • replies: 1

hi there. i am currently going through some depression. i decided to go on this site to speak to people with similar experiences. i am hoping to learn how to deal with things better. i have been dealing with depression on and off for 26 years, and st... View more

hi there. i am currently going through some depression. i decided to go on this site to speak to people with similar experiences. i am hoping to learn how to deal with things better. i have been dealing with depression on and off for 26 years, and still have no magical cure lol would love to hear from anyone who has some good advice on how to deal with getting upset with family, friends, and work-mates when they let you down. also interested to hear from anyone who has kicked a poker machine habit and how you did it. look forward to hearing from you

Kelly_bee Hi
  • replies: 3

Hi, my name is Kelly and I have been suffering from depression for nearly 20 years of my life. The older I'm getting and the experiences in life I am facing I'm finding that my depression is getting worse. Today I found this site and thought I'd turn... View more

Hi, my name is Kelly and I have been suffering from depression for nearly 20 years of my life. The older I'm getting and the experiences in life I am facing I'm finding that my depression is getting worse. Today I found this site and thought I'd turn to here to see if this will help me. I feel like no matter what I do to help myself that I'm still struggling and drowning in how I feel. I'm not sure what it is that can really help.

Sweetpea3 New to Beyond Blue
  • replies: 4

Hi, I just moved to the Newcastle area of NSW after living in Coffs Harbour for 3 years (originally from Syd). Don't know anybody here, living in Dept Housing unit (stuck inside these 4 walls) and family are in Sydney. Strained relationships in our f... View more

Hi, I just moved to the Newcastle area of NSW after living in Coffs Harbour for 3 years (originally from Syd). Don't know anybody here, living in Dept Housing unit (stuck inside these 4 walls) and family are in Sydney. Strained relationships in our family, particularly with my one and only adult daughter who lives in Sydney. I feel socially isolated, very lonely and miserable, forgotten and lack self esteem. I've been going to bed at 2 am and sleeping till 10 am as I have nothing to do nor look forward to every day except try to think up things to do ... alone. I need to reach out to others, but feel like I'm different, not upbeat or the life of the party .. even my family don't have any time for me. Been here 3 months and only one visit. They know I have major depression but I am an afterthought to them. Its very painful. I've been out of the workforce since my Mum died in 2007 - I was her Carer. I'm fed up with applying for jobs and getting no response. Feeling really crappy today and in need of someone to care and really need a hug!!!

Viper Hello peeps
  • replies: 4

Hey new to this forum hoping I can find some people I can relate to with anxiety so on .... Been getting anxiety attacks off and on for a year now or so didn't ever think would happen to me I live a pretty great life with things most people could wan... View more

Hey new to this forum hoping I can find some people I can relate to with anxiety so on .... Been getting anxiety attacks off and on for a year now or so didn't ever think would happen to me I live a pretty great life with things most people could want or dream of I am aprechtive of life and my spoils... Only to find myself not being able to breath shaking scared of traffic and even really exciting holidays and other things.. I was a guy with no limits no cares in the world sometimes I wanna punch on with the anxiety someone who was so strong to even say to his own friends nah anxiety is just in your head its all going to be ok to now no how it is... Really stuck in life at the best parts I should be enjoying not scared to get into a car and drive and hour or convince myself I am sick to make myself nearly sick arghhhh positive note I have learned to manage things better breathing especially sleeping and being out doors but for some reason just creeps up on me at times or my mind is always making the story before it happens filling it with the worse case to happen that never does anyway hope I can share my tricks i learned here to others to help if I can that's my story so far viper

Sujema New here and weary of the struggle.

Hi everyone, I am living with PTSD and Resistant Major Depression linked to My Autoimmune disease (Thyroid) Hashimotos. Inflammatory thing that affects neurotransmitter function. Profound fatigue, lacking impetuous to do ANYthing and the constant str... View more

Hi everyone, I am living with PTSD and Resistant Major Depression linked to My Autoimmune disease (Thyroid) Hashimotos. Inflammatory thing that affects neurotransmitter function. Profound fatigue, lacking impetuous to do ANYthing and the constant struggle, with the 'WHATS THE POINT of existing!.........with constant waves of anxiety and sadness??' type of thoughts. I welcome communication with you all here, because I'm finding it too hard trying to convey to my family the darkness I often feel, when seemingly," you have so much to be grateful for, beautiful environment, wonderful family, etc, etc !!" Thanks for pointing that out to me, like I'm not already acutely aware of that!! Medication was ineffective and actually made me more unwell. Trying (more like forcing myself) to bring things to my life, like mindfulness meditation, music and being in nature as much as possible does bring some relief at times. Intermittent thoughts of self medicating, I don't know, with alcohol or something frequently crosses my mind, just to shut the brain up for a bit. Self defeating really, I know! Hope it doesn't gain traction! Thankyou for reading, Sujema

RickAstley Hi! I'm new here!
  • replies: 5

Hi there! I'm not really too sure where to start, but I guess myself is the best place. I am 15, and go to school in WA. I myself am not suffering from any form of mental illness, however one of my closest friends was recently diagnosed with depressi... View more

Hi there! I'm not really too sure where to start, but I guess myself is the best place. I am 15, and go to school in WA. I myself am not suffering from any form of mental illness, however one of my closest friends was recently diagnosed with depression and I am not really sure what to do to help him. What is the best way in which to support him through this tough stage in his life? I am also am doing a project on mental health, and a major part of this is my central question of 'What is the importance of relationships, whether friends, family or SO, in a young adults' life?' Any help on either of those two questions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

anxiousprue New to this
  • replies: 2

Just struggling with anxiety and depressive moods together sucks

Just struggling with anxiety and depressive moods together sucks

BrewRick Dipping my toe in the water.

Hi all. This is my first attempt to reach out to the Beyond Blue community. I don't know where to start, but lately I've been conscious that my anxiety and depression is starting to take a hold. There have been many times that I've visited this websi... View more

Hi all. This is my first attempt to reach out to the Beyond Blue community. I don't know where to start, but lately I've been conscious that my anxiety and depression is starting to take a hold. There have been many times that I've visited this website and always backed off, afraid to go any further. I've almost logged in to a live chat, but that familiar beast in anxiety won't even let me do that. I've even spent hours tonight contemplating whether or not I should post in a forum. So this is me, tentatively reaching out in the hope that I can start to interact with others that may be feeling the same way, and slowly get myself the help that I know I need, but am to afraid to do so. This is my first step, which I'm hoping will lead to getting the help I need to live the life I know I can live. It's already somewhat helpful to read a few of the forum posts, which have given me the courage to start looking for help. At the same time, I read other posts and think that I have it easy compared to them, so should get over myself and think myself lucky. Although I've been vague in this post, I hope it is enough to start me on my first steps to becoming the person I know I can be, and not the hopeless one I feel now. Anyway, if you've read this far, thanks for taking the time.

newhaven Hello there I am Ann.
  • replies: 2

I am nearly 61 and thought that as I got older my depression would get better but the opposite seems to have happened. My last child is about to leave home and that will leave me alone for the first time in a very very long time. I feel like I have e... View more

I am nearly 61 and thought that as I got older my depression would get better but the opposite seems to have happened. My last child is about to leave home and that will leave me alone for the first time in a very very long time. I feel like I have endured way to many losses in a lifetime and I do not want to have anymore. My health is not great I have a few problems that all cause me pain and that so gets me down but I have to soldier on and go to work 3 days a week. I am not sure what else to say at this time so will leave it here for now.

Cerise78 Hello
  • replies: 1

Hi, New to this forum and hoping i can get the help i need. I do suffer from depression myself and have been on meds for 2 years. My happy bubbly strong partner is struggling though so i'm here for advice on how to be there for him. Looking forward t... View more

Hi, New to this forum and hoping i can get the help i need. I do suffer from depression myself and have been on meds for 2 years. My happy bubbly strong partner is struggling though so i'm here for advice on how to be there for him. Looking forward to chatting with you all Cerise