Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

FNizam Why would you have this forum, with amateurs trying to solve real problems?
  • replies: 14

I acknowledge the need for people to come and talk and find people they can share their troubles and problems with, but mental health is no small problem. It needs the real support of knowledgeable and expert people, who know what they are saying and... View more

I acknowledge the need for people to come and talk and find people they can share their troubles and problems with, but mental health is no small problem. It needs the real support of knowledgeable and expert people, who know what they are saying and to whom they are saying under what circumstances. I would appreciate if there were free expert support for individuals to seek around here and if it is already in place than I do not understand the desire for individuals to seek help from amateurs rather than professionals. I also strongly believe that individuals have a fear to get their condition be formally branded and named and thus they might fear seeking professional due to certain stereotypes around it. It will be awesome if we can somehow work on developing a society of professionals who are not only professionally sound but are also relatable and approachable to reduce some of the stereotypes that create barriers in seeking right help at the right time. Personally, not until I came across a therapist who I liked as a person, that I was able to see an end to my struggle with depression. Before that, even the most professional and learned people seemed to lose me and aggravated my case. I do believe truly that what doesn't feel right can never be right, so let your gut lead you to your own recovery. Thank you

breezasbrain Long Time Fan
  • replies: 7

Hello erryone! I am Bree, a newbie to foruming. I run a mental health website and also fundraised 2k for beyondblue last year - long time fan of this organisation! Am 27, have bipolar 2 and am a gay. I can't wait to learn from you all and share any i... View more

Hello erryone! I am Bree, a newbie to foruming. I run a mental health website and also fundraised 2k for beyondblue last year - long time fan of this organisation! Am 27, have bipolar 2 and am a gay. I can't wait to learn from you all and share any insight I have as well, Breeza

Klr Bipolar?
  • replies: 3

Hey, i have been suffering from post natel depression for 14.5 yrs. i thought i had been manging ok, but recently have had bit of a break down. Im seeing my doc tomorrow. I think i maybe bipolar! I certainly fit in most of the categorys. Has anyone e... View more

Hey, i have been suffering from post natel depression for 14.5 yrs. i thought i had been manging ok, but recently have had bit of a break down. Im seeing my doc tomorrow. I think i maybe bipolar! I certainly fit in most of the categorys. Has anyone eles had similar experiences?

LilBnMe Newbie and confused
  • replies: 6

I'm only new to this and don't even know where to start but I know that I need help in finding out why I get angry most of time and have such a short fuse. I'm also a stress head, feel like I have ocd at times and some form of depression but honestly... View more

I'm only new to this and don't even know where to start but I know that I need help in finding out why I get angry most of time and have such a short fuse. I'm also a stress head, feel like I have ocd at times and some form of depression but honestly I have no idea what's wrong with me. I know I need help but don't know where to start.

Rach05 New to this forum
  • replies: 1

Hi. I'm a mum of 4 children under 7 (a seven year old. Twin 5 year olds and a three year old that is going through the process of getting an Autism diagnosis. My husband and I have lived away from family for 7 years. During this time, my husband has ... View more

Hi. I'm a mum of 4 children under 7 (a seven year old. Twin 5 year olds and a three year old that is going through the process of getting an Autism diagnosis. My husband and I have lived away from family for 7 years. During this time, my husband has suffered from depression and been on medication for that on and off. I started taking in too in January as I have struggled since finding out about my sons Autism and wondering how I would cope on my own. But my husband has recently stopped taking his antidepressants again. And he has gone back to being incredible critical, putting me down and speaking negatively to me in front of the children, putting women down and myself. He is unhelpful and believes that women should do all the housework, cooking and child rearing on her own. While I am capable of doing all these things, I find it hard to get through the day when I am put down and don't have a good relationship with him anymore. It is our 10th wedding anniversary in a month...and it's at the point where I don't want to celebrate it with him. I know he works so hard at his job but I feel lonely. And having little children is a hard thing to cope with without it being a team effort. This has become 100% worse since him stopping his medication and at least he is enjoyable to be around normally. How do I encourage him to start taking it again? It's been around 3-4 weeks since he stopped taking it...which he didn't consult me with even though he has had to be on it for over the 7 years and has tried to come off it before. I want to have a good relationship with him but I am feeling like if he wants to choose to be without medication, I am not sure how our relationship will survive long term. Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Fattie New
  • replies: 3

Hi all I'm 37 I've been suffering depression for about 5ys now and it's a roller coaster some days are good then I can be down for a week or more and it's really starting to take its toll on me and my marriage.Im in a leading hand supervised role in ... View more

Hi all I'm 37 I've been suffering depression for about 5ys now and it's a roller coaster some days are good then I can be down for a week or more and it's really starting to take its toll on me and my marriage.Im in a leading hand supervised role in my job that I like,sometimes it really gets to me stressing over it tho.I've spoken with my GP who past this site on to me to check out so I'll see how it goes.

NoEyeDeer Hello World
  • replies: 9

I am new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I am not sure whether I will post soon, perhaps when I am more comfortable with sharing my feelings. I have been reading other peoples threads and posts and have been gaining the insight that... View more

I am new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I am not sure whether I will post soon, perhaps when I am more comfortable with sharing my feelings. I have been reading other peoples threads and posts and have been gaining the insight that I am not alone in having a heap of emotions and hurts that at times seem hard to live with. About the only thing that I do know and I have learnt this from my own experience of some 60 years is that no matter how hard it seems to be getting through the dark and desparate periods of my life, that I know things will eventually improve and I will come out into the sunlight again.

BPD_girl New to BB!
  • replies: 2

Hi, Just thought I would introduce myself. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and anxiety about 12 months ago, then with Borderline Personality Disorder in Nov 2015, and PTSD and Alcohol and other substance use disorder in March 2016. Fai... View more

Hi, Just thought I would introduce myself. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and anxiety about 12 months ago, then with Borderline Personality Disorder in Nov 2015, and PTSD and Alcohol and other substance use disorder in March 2016. Fair to say the past 12 months have been a bit of a roller coaster for me. Recently lost my job and struggling with everyday life at the moment. Hard to find the motivation to even get up of a morning. Hoping this forum can help! X

ToXii Another BB newbie climbs aboard
  • replies: 6

Greetings! I only recently became aware of these forums & decided to reach out & give it a chance cos right now I feel like I cant cope much longer. Im almost 47yrs old and have lived with darkness, pain & sorrow most of those years. Sometimes I look... View more

Greetings! I only recently became aware of these forums & decided to reach out & give it a chance cos right now I feel like I cant cope much longer. Im almost 47yrs old and have lived with darkness, pain & sorrow most of those years. Sometimes I look back and am shocked I am actually still here. I grew up in a family that believed "what happens in the home stays in the home" & that mental illness was just hypocondriasis and you needed to get "over yourself". My family never listened to me or cared enough to take me seriously. I was considered "the black sheep" & told on many occasions how disappointing I was. I have always found it hard to make, and keep, friends and find it especially hard to trust anyone. My Mum used to tell me not to talk to people about my "issues" as no-one actually cared & it would not reflect well on me, so over the years I suffered in silence, keeping everything to myself & getting worse as a result. So why am I kind of talking now? I'm tired - tired of hiding away, tired of what keeping all the darkness & pain shut away is doing to me physically, emotionally & mentally. I'm scared of where I could be headed so decided to take this first step, albeit a small one. I am hoping it will have a domino effect & let me find the strength to seek the help I know I so desperately need.