Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

StinaStaffyMum Day One - Newbie Here
  • replies: 1

Hi every one, Yep I'm new here. Sitting here in my psychologist's room after a session and free to just sit back and chill out while some group therapy goes on next door. I have battled depression and insomnia for over 20 years and every day is a cha... View more

Hi every one, Yep I'm new here. Sitting here in my psychologist's room after a session and free to just sit back and chill out while some group therapy goes on next door. I have battled depression and insomnia for over 20 years and every day is a challenge. Then three years ago I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder, anxiety and social phobia. I live online rather than outside. Here I can be anonymous and not be judged. Most of the time. About the only time I go out to anything is when it is something to do with my dogs; somewhere I can take my dogs. They are my life. My reason for existing. I want to share some words I wrote last night in an attempt to mind dump to help me to sleep. It's a stream of consciousness poem. White Noise Words words words It's all just while noise That fills the emptiness when I go to bed Shouting, screaming at me to listen to the anger to the hurt. the injustice - No, it's not fair! It's not my fault! What did I do to deserve this? Why should I have to suffer? And why Should it be left up to me? Why? why? WHY?? These words scream at me Plead with me to listen But my calm resistance of my outer self Just lies there Eyes closed And pretends to hear nothing while inside the blood boils The stomach churns The anger seethes And the heart cries - All the words that fill my head Whispering, nagging, taunting, Till the screams are all I hear And all I want to do ... is sleep. Cheers Stina

KathrynJaneway Introductions

Hi there, I'm KathrynJaneway, a name borrowed from one of my favourite shows: Star Trek Voyager. I'm studying science at university, love to walk in gardens and outside in general, love to pat and adore on any cute and fluffy animal, and like to read... View more

Hi there, I'm KathrynJaneway, a name borrowed from one of my favourite shows: Star Trek Voyager. I'm studying science at university, love to walk in gardens and outside in general, love to pat and adore on any cute and fluffy animal, and like to read/watch a lot of things sci-fi. I also suffer from OCD and mild depression. I find the intrusive thoughts and anxiety mainly revolve around health, germs/infection and security/house-hold safety. I feel very anxious about these issues. As such, I find myself doing behaviours such as washing the dishes 3 times each, pushing the door 3 times to check it is closed properly, you get the idea. I am also constantly visiting my local doctor's practice, because I am so anxious about my health and any little symptom, even though nothing bad has shown up in any tests at all (thus far). I've only just started seeing a psychologist and thus have only just started to consider my plan-of-action/treatment to help my mental health (OCD in particular). So I am very keen to discuss with others on what sorts of things they have found help OCD/anxiety, intrusive thoughts, to calm down after having a panic attack, staying healthy, finding motivation, staying concentrated on the moment/task instead of anxiety/thoughts etc. Will enjoy getting to know some of you and having some constructive discussions and idea sharing. Have a good day!

Peter03 Hello there
  • replies: 2

I am Peter and I am living with a family member with mental disability

I am Peter and I am living with a family member with mental disability

Lonely51 First time on these forums today
  • replies: 5

Hi Have just joined the BB forums and I am glad I did but I am not ready to display my photo up yet but I will eventually. About myself.I am a 51 year old male and I am single,live alone and as my username suggests,I am lonely.I know I am not the onl... View more

Hi Have just joined the BB forums and I am glad I did but I am not ready to display my photo up yet but I will eventually. About myself.I am a 51 year old male and I am single,live alone and as my username suggests,I am lonely.I know I am not the only one in the world who feels lonely.I think that is why I decided to join this forum to see if it helps me even just a little bit.I do have family members I can talk to but sometimes I am unable to that,I have a wonderful and very supportive GP.I am also seeing a psychologist but I am having trouble making a "connection" with her and I don't always find the right things to say at the time.Nothing seems in my mind anyway to be accomplished at the end of the 50 minute sessions. I could find another one I guess who is more on my level which is what I will most likely be doing. Anyway,I have probably gone on too long in my introduction but I look forward to hearing back with your thoughts and I certainly hope I can be of some help as well.

blondguy Writing In Paragraphs When Responding to Someone With Depression
  • replies: 14

Hello Everyone Thankyou for taking the time to read my new thread. I am still new on the forums and would like to ask any new or existing members for their thoughts. After having and recovering from depression for many years and recently having a set... View more

Hello Everyone Thankyou for taking the time to read my new thread. I am still new on the forums and would like to ask any new or existing members for their thoughts. After having and recovering from depression for many years and recently having a setback I do find it difficult to read lengthy paragraphs as my concentration is somewhat reduced since I signed up in January. I am very proud to be a member of the forums and have done my best to provide my time and help where I am able. I am currently caring for some people on a face to face basis that have acute anxiety and recently diagnosed depression that aren't on the forums. I have also taken a break as per the advice I have received from some very kind people on the forums. I have nothing but respect and admiration for my peers who provide their heartfelt advice and wisdom to new and existing members. Some of the people I am caring for have difficulty reading lengthy posts/paragraphs and absorbing the valuable advice that is being offered. There are several health professionals/authors that limit their paragraphs/publications to just a few lines so the readers have a better sense of clarity without expending the mental energy they don't possess whilst healing. Your thoughts/views are most welcome and appreciated. Thank you so much My Kind Thoughts Paul

tommy86 hi - first post. this is hell
  • replies: 2

Hi, its even hard to type as my mind wants to drag my attention back to my it's crap.I'm 29 years old and I have been suffering from panic attacks and anxiety for about 11 years now since I first went to University after high school.My first panic at... View more

Hi, its even hard to type as my mind wants to drag my attention back to my it's crap.I'm 29 years old and I have been suffering from panic attacks and anxiety for about 11 years now since I first went to University after high school.My first panic attacks were so bad I thought I was a having a nervous breakdown and going nuts. I started to panic about having panic attacks which alot of you will know is a deep dark road to head down. I started to feel disconnected from myself, numb legs and ruminating about existential things. I was seeing a uni psychologist and I remember the day she said I was suffering from depression. It was like I was hit by bus and i went into a even deeper darker place. I would think constantly about hurting myself and others. 10 years on and neither has happened and never will. I know it's just an obbsessive thought that makes me anxious. I recovered as we will all do but it felt as if I changed. My perspective on life was never to be same the again. Little things didn't matter anymore. An awakening so to speak. Over the next ten years up to now I have been fine with 2 or 3 episodes(i call them) where I get hooked by my thoughts and go down an existential thinking path. I am currently a uni student doing 3rd year electrical engineering and i have been hit by this again. I was on medication for years and was feeling normal and well so I was weening off them over about 6 months.I was having a stressful time with summer work(actually the boredom was killing me) and was stressing about family things. I had a argument with my fiancee about house work I didn't do over the summer, then I ended up doing it all in one day feeling angry and stressed, it felt good after to have it done but the next day i didn't feel right.The feeling out being "out of it" and existential thoughts started to come back. I then woke up in the night and had a panic attack and thought I was going to hurt my fiancee.This thought became an obsession. As usual it's just fear and anxiety. Over the next couple of weeks I experienced very low moments and wishing I wasn't born and angry for being alive. I upped medication and seeing psycologist.I am a very loving, caring and intellegent person who just feels lost at the moment. I have hope that I will recover althought.Thanks for listening

TRACE72 Introduction

Hi everyone, My name is Trace and I have suffered from depression since an early age of at least 14. I was a big one to self medicate with addictive substances and am now over 8 & a half months into recovery since admitting & accepting drug & alcohol... View more

Hi everyone, My name is Trace and I have suffered from depression since an early age of at least 14. I was a big one to self medicate with addictive substances and am now over 8 & a half months into recovery since admitting & accepting drug & alcohol addiction. The most powerful lesson learnt to date is that I am not alone and there are so many people & organisations out there to help & genuinly want & do help without judgement. Drugs & alcohol are no longer a solution for me. The solution for me although at times very difficult is to ask for help when I need it. I'm a work in progress & I need help almost on a daily basis. Talking about my "stuff" rather than sitting with it alone is so freeing! Once out of this busy mind I get onto to the things I enjoy in life! Take care & never stop trying! Trace

Antigone I'm new here.
  • replies: 7

My chosen name, Antigone, means 'strength' in Greek. I'm new to the forum, but not new to the 'feelings' you all project. I couldn't find a support group in Australia until I stumbled on this today. I joined an American forum once but was overwhelmed... View more

My chosen name, Antigone, means 'strength' in Greek. I'm new to the forum, but not new to the 'feelings' you all project. I couldn't find a support group in Australia until I stumbled on this today. I joined an American forum once but was overwhelmed and my computer could not take the amount of responses! There are too many of us! Sad but comforting. I am estranged from the family I grew up in. I was the scapegoat for all of my mother's problems. I was a child. I didn't understand and suffered OCD from the stress. Later that manifested in Anxiety disorder and compounded in depression. An internal optimism and the support of my own family (husband and children) who know I'm not the person my mother 'created' to serve her needs, has saved me. But my lack of confidence, although 'repairing', sometimes needs validation. When you lose a whole family and extended relatives due to the tentacles of a clever narcissist, it is not easy to cope. It's good to have a forum to turn to despite the fact that the answer will never come.

Druidess New here. Hi
  • replies: 9

Hi there. Basically I'm here because around seven months ago my life as i knew it fell apart and i haven't actually stopped to process any of it and I'm now finding that it is all catching up with me. I can't get in to see a psychologist face to face... View more

Hi there. Basically I'm here because around seven months ago my life as i knew it fell apart and i haven't actually stopped to process any of it and I'm now finding that it is all catching up with me. I can't get in to see a psychologist face to face for around 2 months, bit of a waiting list, so I'm hoping i can find someone to talk to. Just someone maybe to listen and help me understand and come to terms with some of the things going on. Cheers. ​