Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

blondguy Dairy Industry Crisis...How You Can Help
  • replies: 7

Hello everyone! I have just heard some farmers on Fairfax 3AW. They are very emotional and sound it. They have asked the public for their support. They only ask that we buy 'Branded Milk' NOT the Supermarket generic brands. The farmers have said this... View more

Hello everyone! I have just heard some farmers on Fairfax 3AW. They are very emotional and sound it. They have asked the public for their support. They only ask that we buy 'Branded Milk' NOT the Supermarket generic brands. The farmers have said this will help them a great deal. I understand its dearer and some people cant afford to and thats fine. I have already bought some branded milk at full price to start helping What are you thoughts on this? Please let me know if you can make a difference and help the farmers by returning to full price milk. This is a crisis that effects many people in our community Kind Thoughts Paul

Greyhound123 Hi guys

Hi guys, I am new here, (obviously). I have had OCD and seen a psychiatrist for as long as i can remember. I do not really do the rituals any more, however i really obsess over things sometimes. About 9 months ago my wife convinced me to stop taking ... View more

Hi guys, I am new here, (obviously). I have had OCD and seen a psychiatrist for as long as i can remember. I do not really do the rituals any more, however i really obsess over things sometimes. About 9 months ago my wife convinced me to stop taking my SSRI's so after discussion with my psychiatrist i stopped. However the pressure of university, my wedding and work built up and i decided to start taking them again after a few months. Fast forward to 3 months ago and I decided to stop again, because i really want to know what life is like not on medication. Everything was not too bad but i do tend to obsess, first it was over moving house and changing careers, which i got over, then it was uni results. But worst is over the last few days it has been over weather i am a good person and a good husband and good enough for my wife. I obsess over mistakes i have made in the past, like being rude etc. Over weather i am to grumpy with her. Over many things, i will dissect things over and over and over again in my head, all day and all night, the same thing, until i can't think of anything else, and want to cry. Over the last few days i felt suicidal. I will never do it, but i just felt like i have no worth, that if i died the repetition would stop and that i would be better off dead.I have thought about the same mistakes in the past and when in a sound frame of mind laughed to myself that why i would get upset over such trivial things. But at times like this it feels like the end of the world. I could talk to my wife but she doesn't understand. I have an appointment for my doctor in two weeks so hopefully I will calm down before then. Many years ago i was active on an online anxiety support forum and found it a rewarding experience, hopefully i can get that from here too. I am also keen to hear from people who have stopped their medication for an extended period to see if it does make a difference in their lives.

blondguy How and Where do you Communicate to the Forums?
  • replies: 27

Hello Everyone.....New posters too! Its more of a lighter topic for a change from me. I am currently using a 2006 Hewlett Packard Micro tower using the obsolete Windows XP Professional platform.I use my study looking out to my gorgeous garden whilst ... View more

Hello Everyone.....New posters too! Its more of a lighter topic for a change from me. I am currently using a 2006 Hewlett Packard Micro tower using the obsolete Windows XP Professional platform.I use my study looking out to my gorgeous garden whilst I am 'on the air'. I am curious what other people use ..whether a cell phone....laptop....PC....Apple...a tablet....an ipad maybe? And where in your home you are comfortable doing so I am just trying to 'paint a mental picture' of what tool people use and where they post from in their home. The lounge room...in front of their television.....in the garden..home theater...in the car on a mobile phone? Help me paint a picture of where you are coming from so I can 'see' you Just curious and thankyou for reading my thread too Kind Thoughts Paul

teook New here just a short introduction
  • replies: 9

Hi just dropping in to introduce myself I have been struggling with depression on and off for most of my life, I am not really sure if it has ever gone away or whether I have just been in control for periods of time. This run would have to have be th... View more

Hi just dropping in to introduce myself I have been struggling with depression on and off for most of my life, I am not really sure if it has ever gone away or whether I have just been in control for periods of time. This run would have to have be the hardest time I have had in a long time trying to get the dog behind me, and move forward. A bit about me I'm racing close to fifty and doctors have suggested that my depression may have started as young as 16 I have worked in various jobs and my last psychiatrist even went as far as to say that nearly all my employment history has had me putting myself in high risk positions. I will keep this short for now but will be looking around the boards and will post some questions when I work out how to phrase them in away that's not to confusing for me and readers thanks in advance and keep up the good work

Tickles Hi I'm new and need help while I'm waiting to be assessed for bipolar
  • replies: 1

I'm new, a mum, struggled with depression since a teen... Always thought my highs n lows were normal... A little bigger then others but normal. It's been getting worse... N my colleagues asked me to seek further help ... And to mention my highs. Drs ... View more

I'm new, a mum, struggled with depression since a teen... Always thought my highs n lows were normal... A little bigger then others but normal. It's been getting worse... N my colleagues asked me to seek further help ... And to mention my highs. Drs have never asked me about highs before. So I've been treated for depression n anxiety for years with antidepressants n psychology. Hmmmm I came here tonight because I'm T really not coping right now and my lows are getting worse each time.

Mana89 Introducing myself, New member, First post, Looking for guidance and support with my relationship
  • replies: 3

Hi guys, Mana89 here, Iv officially become a registered beyondblue member as of today and this is my first post! Im very grateful to have a caring close friend who has referred me to this group as i am looking for some guidance and support regarding ... View more

Hi guys, Mana89 here, Iv officially become a registered beyondblue member as of today and this is my first post! Im very grateful to have a caring close friend who has referred me to this group as i am looking for some guidance and support regarding the nature of anxiety & depression to help steer me in the right direction to help save my relationship. Iv been reading through some posts and im loving the safe welcoming community environment that this place has to offer. Im extremely sensitive about posting my story as im nervous about being judged but i need help and i thought this would be the best place to start. xx

Brooklyn99er Im a newbie at this

Hi Everyone, I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for almost 2 years now, and I'm at my lowest, i have a wonderful partner who is very supportive but sometimes she doesn't seem to know how to help, so she gets frustrated and i feel guilty... View more

Hi Everyone, I've been struggling with depression and anxiety for almost 2 years now, and I'm at my lowest, i have a wonderful partner who is very supportive but sometimes she doesn't seem to know how to help, so she gets frustrated and i feel guilty for feeling sad and low and that seems to make it worse, she also has been going through some tough times, so when we are both low nothing seems to help. I am very nervous about opening up with people face to face about my problems so finally took steps to start trying to get better, by joining this wonderful supportive community. I have been scrolling through some of the other posts and already i feel more comfortable about sharing my story. I look forward to chatting with you all and getting not only myself out of this rut but helping others (hopefully)

Kotori Hi all! Wanting to feel more like myself again
  • replies: 1

Hi all, I apologise in advance for the long post! I am 24, and I have suspected since I was 15 that I may be experiencing symptoms of depression and/or anxiety. Though I have a family history of anxiety, I am currently un-diagnosed as I have never be... View more

Hi all, I apologise in advance for the long post! I am 24, and I have suspected since I was 15 that I may be experiencing symptoms of depression and/or anxiety. Though I have a family history of anxiety, I am currently un-diagnosed as I have never been able to justify discussing my symptoms with a healthcare professional (others are experiencing life situations far worse than mine). I have also always been unsure of how to begin discussing what I am feeling (silly, I know), so I felt this forum might be a good place to start getting an idea of whether others might be experiencing similar things, and hopefully figure out a way to work through things together. I don’t remember a time in the past year that I haven’t felt both physically and mentally exhausted. I’ve found myself crying sometimes 3+ times per day, and experiencing these all-engulfing ‘episodes’ almost weekly where I will feel so worthless and upset that I will shake, feel nauseous/get headaches, uncontrollably sob, and feel hopelessly ‘trapped’ in my life and myself. Often, I won’t even know what made me feel this way. I regularly end up feeling physically unwell with guilt or worry over scenarios that haven’t even occurred. I have always had difficulties getting to sleep, but now I wake often, regularly have stressful dreams, and want to nap during the day. I have also lost my motivation for many activities I used to enjoy. I’m a highly extroverted social butterfly, but over the past year I have begun dreading (and trying to avoid) social outings, and I almost always have trouble finding the energy to reply to messages, even from some of my closest friends. I have always been able to pride myself on my social skills, but lately it feels like every conversation has this bizarre ‘slow motion’ feel, and I feel a ‘distance’ from those I’m chatting with that I’ve never felt before. I often feel worthless, useless, and a burden to those around me. My family often make these feelings worse. Supporting them financially and physically has been extremely thankless and tiring, and I’m regularly berated for trivial things that I have no control over. These kinds of comments grate over time, and I begin to wonder if I’m actually just a terrible person after all. I feel so far away from who I know I am that I am desperate for any assistance that might help me begin to feel more like myself again. Thank-you so much for reading, and I look forward to getting to know you all better! Best Wishes, K

Pabs I am new and blue

Good evening all,Its very unlike me to post in forums or blogs but I came across this while searching for 'mental health Doctor' in Google and suddenly felt a sense of warmth that there are others in a similar situation.I love to talk about my feelin... View more

Good evening all,Its very unlike me to post in forums or blogs but I came across this while searching for 'mental health Doctor' in Google and suddenly felt a sense of warmth that there are others in a similar situation.I love to talk about my feelings but at times it feels as though I am burdening my friends with the cycle of low thoughts I am constantly in. Perhaps there are people here who I can talk to more freely.So why am I here? Good question! I honestly think I've had some kind of depression for most of my life from been very young. I am pretty good at trying to mask it where people think I am the life and soul of the party but inside I am deeply unhappy and can't wait to break away and be alone where I can take off my mask.That is however until the last few weeks as I seem to have misplaced the mask and people now come and tell me I look miserable. Especially at work which is great for my career.I m back at that point where you have no idea why you are unhappy. Thinking about it is like looking at a big bowl of spaghetti with a few bits and bobs thrown in for good measure. It's like an impossible puzzle where there seems to be no beginning and no end. So the only way to deal with it is to cover it up, perhaps with a little parmesan to hide the mess underneath. This works for the short term but soon the Parmesan melts and there's that puzzle again! Pass me the Parmesan quick!So here's the ingredients to my sphagetti:1 great big helping of severe bulling at school - kids are so kindAn alcoholic father which I never saw in my childhoodDiscovering I am Gay which didn't go down too well with the familyA string of failed relationships - one of which just ended last weekDeath of my father last year - which I never got to say goodbye as I couldn't make it back to the UK in time so I was somewhere over Dubai when he left us.Some issues with Alcohol. Not daily but tends to seem like a good idea when feeling low (this I found out this morning is not a good idea while vomitting up everything in my tummy and having to take a day off work)So there's a taste of my story. There's lots of other lovely ingredients to add but I'll save those for another time.It feels strange writing them down. Perhaps that will help.I am in Melbourne. If anyone knows of any groups I would be up for that.hello again, and I am looking forward to sharing and trying to help myself and others.

trapped_in_a_void hi all new to this forum
  • replies: 4

Im at my lowest atm and have been reading some of your members post and found the community here is non judge mental... i hope to tell my story soon even behind a keyboard things are not that easy to convey..... hoping to type soon

Im at my lowest atm and have been reading some of your members post and found the community here is non judge mental... i hope to tell my story soon even behind a keyboard things are not that easy to convey..... hoping to type soon