Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Nonny Hello, sad and new to the site.
  • replies: 14

A bad day and just want to feel connected to someone. I know in so many ways that I am lucky I hate feeling sorry for myself. A life time (30 plus years) of depression and medications have kept me here ... I have severe chronic health issues (though ... View more

A bad day and just want to feel connected to someone. I know in so many ways that I am lucky I hate feeling sorry for myself. A life time (30 plus years) of depression and medications have kept me here ... I have severe chronic health issues (though a new medication may help). My children are adults and have their own lives, I had to resign my job because my illness makes it difficult to work. My partner of 7 years, is lovely but very anxious and doesn't understand. His children don't see me as part of the family. I'm lost and struggle to keep my perspective.

shellseeker cant stop crying
  • replies: 7

Hi, I am new here. I have spent all weekend crying...cant seem to stop,,,,not unusual for me as I have done this in the past and I know it will eventually pass and I will come out the other end and get on with it....just wish stuff would stop hijacki... View more

Hi, I am new here. I have spent all weekend crying...cant seem to stop,,,,not unusual for me as I have done this in the past and I know it will eventually pass and I will come out the other end and get on with it....just wish stuff would stop hijacking me and holding me prisoner for days on end...sorry sounds overly dramatic but honestly I get so tired of this stuff and then pulling myself together and being the person everyone expects me to be. I am sure that people here will understand what I am saying (after reading some of the posts I feel safe expressing myself and I thank you all for the support that you give to others) it has encouraged me to speak. I have experienced anxiety and depression since my childhood and I am now 62. I remember as a child withdrawing and waiting, watching and trying to understand why I felt so upset and so alone and trying so hard to "fit". My story is sometimes hard for me to comprehend and understand and I was there, I feel others would probably see it as some sort of "soap opera" type thing...it has been one event after another...I really can not go there right now...I just have to rise above this overwhelming sadness. I have had counselling since my mid twenties, been on and off medication, read everything I could, done courses, asked questions, have a diploma in counselling and I consider myself intelligent and logical but that doesnt stop the dark times from creeping up on me and consuming me. I do understand I will always have this and I will always have to cope .....It isnt logical it just is. My family label me as over emotional and I withdraw and hide until I am in control again and can deal with "stuff". As I get older I have found it harder to cope as my life is not as busy and I am not needed....I had to give up work about 3 years ago due to an injury and that took structure away from me...working made me "pull myself together"....I volunteer now but have not been able to do anything for that last two months as I had a fall...but I am due to go back soon....not sure what triggered me this weekend, probably lots of things and once I started the familiar cycle had a life of its own. Well thanks for listening....deep breath...have a warm shower and put on my happy face and try to climb out of this pit...I can do it...been doing it all my life. Thanks again for this safe place.

Crosstowndonkey New to the forums
  • replies: 2

Hello my name is vince. I'm new to this forum. I am a 21 y/o in western Australia and i'm here hoping to find help in order to stabilize my mental health as its been going downhill destructively fast recently. I hope to get to know some nice people a... View more

Hello my name is vince. I'm new to this forum. I am a 21 y/o in western Australia and i'm here hoping to find help in order to stabilize my mental health as its been going downhill destructively fast recently. I hope to get to know some nice people and hope to make some forum friends.

Bored_and_lonely New to all of this- what am i doing?

Hey guys, Not sure what to say here... in a bit of distress at the moment but im sure it'll pass. My diagnosis is... a cocktail, along with my medication. But overall right now i have no reason to get up in the morning (so I don't), I'm super lonely.... View more

Hey guys, Not sure what to say here... in a bit of distress at the moment but im sure it'll pass. My diagnosis is... a cocktail, along with my medication. But overall right now i have no reason to get up in the morning (so I don't), I'm super lonely. .. yeah i guess that's it. Some people would say to me "find a reason to get up. Find a hobby blah blah" but i know, a lot of you would know, it's just not that easy. I hope to connect with someone soon. In good health x

DanThaman I feel happy! Like a weight has been lifted!
  • replies: 8

Hey everyone! I've been lurking the forums for quite some time now, seeking help, comfort or guidance in that maybe some other people may have experienced or been in familiar situations such as myself and how they've dealt with it or recovered. I fel... View more

Hey everyone! I've been lurking the forums for quite some time now, seeking help, comfort or guidance in that maybe some other people may have experienced or been in familiar situations such as myself and how they've dealt with it or recovered. I felt as though i wanted to get my experience out there in the hopes that it can be beneficial to other people who may be experiencing a similar struggle. I'll try and keep this fairly short and direct without going into detail as the character limit is quite small. Im currently 22 years old and have just finished my first year at university as a mature age student (being slightly older than the average student). I was bullied a lot through highschool, it hit me pretty hard and i had developed social anxiety and a mild form of depression. I didnt realize it at the time but i found it difficult to fit in, to go out and socialize in any forms and meet other people. I became very timid, not making eye contact and kept to myself. Although, if somebody talked to me you probably wouldn't realize it, i still spoke quite well - Introverted, but not shy. I met a girl in one of my study groups at the start of the semester and we bonded a little outside of classes. Going for coffee after class, having small talk, discussing classes, work, details about ourselves etc. It felt really nice, it had been a long time since i had genuinely had a conversation with somebody and feeling accepted. I felt as though id regret it otherwise, so i wrote her a note discussing my situation and that i had appreciated her company this semester and thanked her for helping me through a tough time. I didn't hear back from her straight away, and i didnt expect to. I know giving a note may not have been the optimal thing to do but i felt as though i couldn't do it any justice speaking to her myself so i felt as though writing would be best. Anyway, after the class exam she approached me and handed me a letter that she had written herself. Because of her, i was able to come to a realization in letting go of whatever resentment or baggage that once held me down and i felt unburdened and currently still do feel like my life has just started and i have the opportunity to start to regain control. To stop looking in the past and to get a sense of who i am and to finally start living! People like i once was, who run, will never have a real life until they change whatever it is about themselves that they're runnning from. Be happy with yourself!

EN76 New here - Introduction / a bit about myself

Hi all,Firstly, I have come here as it seems like a great community of people who actually understand what mental illness is and how it can affect ones life.My story starts a few years ago when I nearly lost everything from a bad business decision. O... View more

Hi all,Firstly, I have come here as it seems like a great community of people who actually understand what mental illness is and how it can affect ones life.My story starts a few years ago when I nearly lost everything from a bad business decision. Our family home was almost repossessed as I ignored calls and shut off the outside world. I regularly contemplated suicide - but couldnt do it to my wife and children.Every day consisted of me putting on a brave face and telling everyone I was OK, whilst I was being eaten from the inside by depression, guilt , helplessness and loneliness. I turned to drinking quite frequently, and would often come home late just so I didnt have to face reality.I eventually took a few months out to clear my head and took back control once again - we kept the house and I felt great.A couple of years past, and life was not perfect - but a lot better.Earlier this year, we started experiencing some financial difficulty again - but nothing that we couldnt get through, however all the prior feelings I had experienced a few years ago came back a lot stronger than before. I choose to ignore them, but each day I started becoming more and more anxious - almost avoiding talking to anyone.My anxiety levels are at such a point where I have taken this week off of work, and I sit here typing this to share my experience and learn from others that have been or are going through similar situations.Thank you for reading!

Moonstruck What if I say the wrong thing to someone who needs support on the forums?

I sometimes see new threads from regulars.....or first-time newbies with a problem I'd like to give support about....or I feel I can identify with..... but not being trained, or a professional, or expert in any way - just struggling myself....I am a ... View more

I sometimes see new threads from regulars.....or first-time newbies with a problem I'd like to give support about....or I feel I can identify with..... but not being trained, or a professional, or expert in any way - just struggling myself....I am a bit hesitant in case I say the wrong thing, make the person feel worse, or totally going down the wrong track to help or support them. Any tips?......thanks...Moon S

Pink_elephant New to the forum

Hi, I have finally tapped into this forum - been pretty scared about it. However, I am sure I will meet other like minded beings here. My story briefly is: 2 years ago I was terminated from my Management job at an op shop. I had death threats and con... View more

Hi, I have finally tapped into this forum - been pretty scared about it. However, I am sure I will meet other like minded beings here. My story briefly is: 2 years ago I was terminated from my Management job at an op shop. I had death threats and consequently was terminated on ' stress' leave. I recently relocated back to Melbourne from Brisbane, so, at times feel quite alone and that i am going Nuts. I have 2 sons who are both married and have there own lives, and live interstate. I am a widow and live alone. I want to work through this anxiety and connect with others for both support and understanding.

B1982 2nd and real intro
  • replies: 3

Hi,this is my first day on here as - I feel like a failure - a mother, wife, teachers assistant, can't keep friends cause I always put my foot in it - I gossip and I can't help myself I feel as though it will make me more friends, and I know it doesn... View more

Hi,this is my first day on here as - I feel like a failure - a mother, wife, teachers assistant, can't keep friends cause I always put my foot in it - I gossip and I can't help myself I feel as though it will make me more friends, and I know it doesn't I hate it but can't help myself. I drink too much when I go out and say things to people that mean the most to me that make me want to run away and never face them again, but I have to. I smoke cigarettes and I don't want to, but I like doing it!! My parents have lost everything and are living with friends and the stress they have been through is like they are not here anymore, my kids don't really even care if they don't see them, don't miss them or care that when they do come around my parents are very vacant and don't listen.... im very all over the place emotionally don't really know who to talk to or where to go... Thank you

Bikedave Why me?

Having lived with depression, ptsd and anxiety for the last 5 years just when I thought I had a handle on it life is turned upside down again. I have just come home after 3 months in hospital due to a bike accident. Nearly losing everything that matt... View more

Having lived with depression, ptsd and anxiety for the last 5 years just when I thought I had a handle on it life is turned upside down again. I have just come home after 3 months in hospital due to a bike accident. Nearly losing everything that matters to you in one early morning ride can destroy you. For 3 months in hospital I lay on my back watching as my muscle mass diminished, finally with a loss of 13 kg. The question I woke to every day was why me. Well I died on the operating table but came back for a reason and the 58000 followers of my story on Facebook enhanced my belief that there was a reason. I believe that reason is to help others with there demons by sharing my story.