Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Trixi3 Newbie - I surrender...
  • replies: 5

So here I am, another newbie, somewhat relieved by seeing so many others here. I've recently turned 50 and my biggest achievement has been to make it through a decade without being hit by people i (once) cared for. It was such a normal part of my lif... View more

So here I am, another newbie, somewhat relieved by seeing so many others here. I've recently turned 50 and my biggest achievement has been to make it through a decade without being hit by people i (once) cared for. It was such a normal part of my life that I was well into adulthood before I realised it wasn't okay, but the dye had been cast and I attracted and accepted more of that. Yet that's not what really brings me here or pains me still - it's the gaslighting, the lies and blame, watching those who could have helped stand by, blame me, make excuses or deny it even happened. That's what still has tears free falling too often and out of my control. If I couldn't get over it I was 'weak', even my own mother defended people who hit me. To this day, no one will discuss it with me. All I asked for was for it to be acknowledged, for an apology, for a guarantee it would never happen again - it seems a simple enough request, but has never happened. And I am left to deal with it. I want to call family members and say what I've said here - but at best I would be silenced, ignored. It has had a profound impact on my life - it has driven me to seek answers, become stronger, learn to meditate, alternative therapies, pray myself to sleep - but that, sleep, doesn't come easy. Something happens in that twilight between awake and asleep, and the tear just fall again. So now I need to do what I haven't before - surrender to the knowledge that only I am willing to heal this. Today I begin that journey.

_T_ Hello I'm new and I would like to really use this platform to recover
  • replies: 24

Hello, im .T. I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for a few years now and things that have happened this year has made it worse I cant cope very well .T.

Hello, im .T. I have been suffering from depression and anxiety for a few years now and things that have happened this year has made it worse I cant cope very well .T.

SauerKraut Who would have thought I'd post here?
  • replies: 1

Hi all, So life is a fanstastic journey. Amazing where we find ourslves. Reading through some of the posts makes me feel almost ashamed to air my issues. I'm 40 - Useless PhD in biological sciences (no jobs/few opportunities that actually pay). Mortg... View more

Hi all, So life is a fanstastic journey. Amazing where we find ourslves. Reading through some of the posts makes me feel almost ashamed to air my issues. I'm 40 - Useless PhD in biological sciences (no jobs/few opportunities that actually pay). Mortgage. 2 kids (4 & 7) - I have been stay at home dad for 3 years. Previous two workplaces very toxic environments - I have some anxiety regarding returning to work, and honestly wanted to look after the kids in their early years (this is coming to an end as they reach school age). Its hard work (kids) between fun times is a lot of repetition, negotiation and cleaning... Wife - stressed at work - feels pressure as income provider, guilty mother for working (had 12 months maternity leave with both). Says that she's had enough of my unhappiness. Any discussions seem to end up in an argument. Sex is an issue - me more adventurous than her, but not in a crazy way. I do feel that my climax is an anti-climax which she doesn't understand as she is often quickly and relatively easily satisfied. I'm looking at going back to work - not sure what though. Job market is tough - considering doing teaching diploma but feel that its a last resort and pay is terrible considering ~15 year career + qualifications. Me - introvert. Find solace alone or with my partner, without the need for many friends. Often exhausted at the end of the day which is mistaken for unhappiness/depression. Have done the calculators and seen GP - all come in as a bit blue, but nothing serious. But I do feel completely and utterly stuck in this. So I'll probably answer my own question - counselling for work anxiety and career aspirations/expectations and couple counselling for us to work on our issues.

Branwen Hello.
  • replies: 3

Hi, my name's Branwen. I guess I'm posting here because I feel like I'm in a hole so deep it's impossible to climb out of but I'm looking for some sort of lifeline. I've felt sad and tired for as long as I can remember for many different reasons. All... View more

Hi, my name's Branwen. I guess I'm posting here because I feel like I'm in a hole so deep it's impossible to climb out of but I'm looking for some sort of lifeline. I've felt sad and tired for as long as I can remember for many different reasons. All my life I've been thinking about gender transition and only recently I've been taking steps on that road. Back in school it was my seeming inability to perform or lose weight and near constant fear of bullying. As an adult, it's been inability to find work in my chosen field, inability to keep a job and inability to move out of my parent's house. I got a job recently and realised, thanks to daily assessment of my performance, that I had serious issues just concentrating and I might have ADD. It was bad enough that I quit the job and honestly, I'm shattered. I'm trying to get an actual assessment but I'm struggling and don't know what to do. I'm a nervous wreck, I don't have much money to get help and I'm panicky and anxious most of the time. I'm lucky that my parents support me, particularly my mother, but they're retiring to the country soon and none of my options are good. My girlfriend also has depression, so we're a bit of a pair but we're there for each other so I've got that going for me but it's a long distance relationship and I often worry about her. We've been trying to find a house to rent but between unemployment, having a cat and social anxiety, just that much is crushing us. I'm trying to compartmentalise and take on one problem at a time but every problem underpins another problem and I'm just lost. Thanks for reading my rambles.

Disposadwarf Newbie - Need a hand while i wait for support.

Hello every one, first time being open bout my issues on the world wide web. After finishing 2 degrees i found myself without anyway to work and living at home. for about a year of trying to find work and being rejected, seeing my friends suceed, I i... View more

Hello every one, first time being open bout my issues on the world wide web. After finishing 2 degrees i found myself without anyway to work and living at home. for about a year of trying to find work and being rejected, seeing my friends suceed, I isolated myself and gave up stayed in my PJ's all day feeling numb. after while i felt "better" and applyed for nursing. when i got accepted it felt great. didnt quite last however and i am sliping back in to what i now know was depression. I have spoken to a doctor who refered me a phychologist, but i dont see them until the end of the month. I am feeling really overwhelmed at the moment, heck i had to leave a lecture to post this to get it out of my system. I Need something to help me coop until i get formal assitance and would love some guidance around the forum.

sleepqueen Intro I guess...

Hi guys.Been diagnosed by psychiatrists with a multitude of illnesses including: depression, anxiety, panic disorder, GAD, bipolar, BPD.Have been voluntarily scheduled once; despite seeing approx. 10 psychiatrists over the years (approx 5 years since... View more

Hi guys.Been diagnosed by psychiatrists with a multitude of illnesses including: depression, anxiety, panic disorder, GAD, bipolar, BPD.Have been voluntarily scheduled once; despite seeing approx. 10 psychiatrists over the years (approx 5 years since I started treatment with antidepressants), none can agree on my diagnosis.Just looking for support, currently back on 150mg of antidepressants (gradual build-up after a year off all meds). Will go up to 200mg in a month's time. Cannot go on antipsychotics because of extrapryramidal side effects (the "look-ups").ADs are gradually improving mood and motivation but can still sleep for up to 16 hours if uninterrupted. Not good for uni (postgrad student).Just baring all and saying hi. Any friendship or support would be great.Cheers.

Trent89 Hi guys.
  • replies: 2

My name is Trent, from WA, I struggle with severe anxiety and j am glad to now be a part of this community and to be able to get help and help others so we can all live without the horror of anxiety. Trent.

My name is Trent, from WA, I struggle with severe anxiety and j am glad to now be a part of this community and to be able to get help and help others so we can all live without the horror of anxiety. Trent.

Dizzy710 New to Forum
  • replies: 2

Hi I was diagnosed with Bipolar II at age 27 however my psychiatrist believes that I first showed symptoms at age 12.n For years I flew under the radar. By this I mean that I was hospitalized in a mental hospital twice for 3 months at a time and both... View more

Hi I was diagnosed with Bipolar II at age 27 however my psychiatrist believes that I first showed symptoms at age 12.n For years I flew under the radar. By this I mean that I was hospitalized in a mental hospital twice for 3 months at a time and both times I was diagnosed with Personality Disorder. However I had all of the symptoms of Bipolar II and due to the fact that I was not treated I had a very difficult and painful time between the ages of 12 and 27. When I was finally diagnosed properly it was such a relief because I was finally going to get the help I desperately needed and I finally had a name and reason for what I was suffering. Since starting on my medications I have been able to manage my symptoms very well and even managed to become a Registered Nurse. This is not to say that I did not have problems in the beginning. First of all I had to come to terms with the fact that I needed to stay on my medication which I did not do very well to begin with. But when I saw the effect that my condition was having on my family I made the choice to stay on my medication and I have been well and happy for the most part for the past12 years. I have never really spoken on a forum before but felt it was time to tell my story. I so not know anyone personally who suffers from Bipolar and I would really like to talk to people who understand what I have gone through and to be able to help others any way I can.

867 New here
  • replies: 15

Hi, I've never posted on a site like this before. Was going to call the hotline but my phone cant do outbound calls. Perhaps I'll wait for the online chat option.

Hi, I've never posted on a site like this before. Was going to call the hotline but my phone cant do outbound calls. Perhaps I'll wait for the online chat option.

Duskfall Greetings...
  • replies: 5

Greetings to whomever might be reading this... I'm Duskfall, I'm 24 years old and a very quiet person who is not very good at talking to others. I'm unemployed and have no friends or family to talk to about how I feel. I enjoy watching Anime, listeni... View more

Greetings to whomever might be reading this... I'm Duskfall, I'm 24 years old and a very quiet person who is not very good at talking to others. I'm unemployed and have no friends or family to talk to about how I feel. I enjoy watching Anime, listening to Music and playing Video Games, I also enjoy poetry/song lyrics (I consider them the same thing), Astrology and aspects of Japanese Culture. I'm not quite sure if I should write about how I feel here or if I should even be a part of these forums as I'm unsure if I suffer from depression or anxiety although I suspect that I do. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope you enjoy the rest of your morning/day/night - Duskfall