Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

TheOrigin98 New to this.
  • replies: 2

Hey everyone, I'm a 19 year old male and I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for a couple years now but I think has gotten worse over the past say 9-10 months and I haven't spoken to anyone on the phone or even left my front yard and it h... View more

Hey everyone, I'm a 19 year old male and I have been dealing with anxiety and depression for a couple years now but I think has gotten worse over the past say 9-10 months and I haven't spoken to anyone on the phone or even left my front yard and it has been becoming debilitating to the point I can't visit my doctors very often, and was wondering if any of you out there's could help me with a few coping strategies. Thanks, TP.

alphines Just my introduction

Hi. As I'm writing this it is 10:53 pm. I'm feeling down, and I'm not sure if I've truly felt happy in quite some time now. I guess that in the time being, this will be my way to relieve some of that, a sort of reprieve. I don't know how long it will... View more

Hi. As I'm writing this it is 10:53 pm. I'm feeling down, and I'm not sure if I've truly felt happy in quite some time now. I guess that in the time being, this will be my way to relieve some of that, a sort of reprieve. I don't know how long it will take until I start to feel better about myself and feel happy again. This feeling comes and goes, but I feel like some day it's not ever going to leave me. I want to be happy, and I'm really trying hard. I want this world to be a better place, for everyone. No matter who they are, no matter their colour, their religion, their sexual orientation or age. I want everyone to be happy, because everyone deserves it. I may not deserve it, but I'm working towards changing that mindset. This is my first thing, I hope you all are having or will have a good day.

Lou72 Newbie
  • replies: 4

I’m not sure what to say! I just need someone to talk to who has been where I am and can relate to these overwhelming feeling of despair

I’m not sure what to say! I just need someone to talk to who has been where I am and can relate to these overwhelming feeling of despair

Ajane HELP! I don't know what to do

I find myself crying almost everyday. My partner is sick of it and I can't explain why I am crying everyday. Some days I have very low self esteem and other days I feel fine. I want him to understand and support me but I fear that he is tired of my c... View more

I find myself crying almost everyday. My partner is sick of it and I can't explain why I am crying everyday. Some days I have very low self esteem and other days I feel fine. I want him to understand and support me but I fear that he is tired of my crying and thinks I'm doing it for attention. He is very loving and kind and I don't want to lose him because I can't control my emotions. I want to be happy but I just can't seem to be.

UsedToBeAnOptimist Depressed, grieving and never used a forum! Eek
  • replies: 4

Hey people, I am super nervous about posting here but have been feeling very isolated. I have family and friends around me who are very supportive but I feel like nobody understand what I'm going through. Hoping to find some like minded people to cha... View more

Hey people, I am super nervous about posting here but have been feeling very isolated. I have family and friends around me who are very supportive but I feel like nobody understand what I'm going through. Hoping to find some like minded people to chat to a I don't feel so alone. So, if you are suffering from depression and/or grieving the sudden loss of a partner, I'd love to hear from you. Cheers.

SabbySal Just looking to someone to support and talk
  • replies: 3

After a devastating last 10 years, coming from a horrible psychological abusive relationship, raising 2 kids on my own to starting a new relationship, then my hero and father became extremely ill and passed away, I've been through 3 different jobs af... View more

After a devastating last 10 years, coming from a horrible psychological abusive relationship, raising 2 kids on my own to starting a new relationship, then my hero and father became extremely ill and passed away, I've been through 3 different jobs after being workplace bullied, now dealing with my beautiful younger brother struggle with ice addiction and i am in a ridiculously amount of debt. I consistently feel I am trying to crawl out of a never ending black hole of life and its shit. I now refuse to get close to anyone and be social because I am ashamed of my constant sadness and anxiety, I work 5 days a week and still cant pay the bills and feel that mothers guilt by not being able to provide what all their friends have. How do I get out of this consuming feeling, how can I better deal with life and all it constantly throws at me.

Mm8kids New and hoping to find support

Hi im a mum to 8 young kids..ive had anxiety and depression for a while but 10 weeks i had a very traumatic cesarean birth which has made my depression so much worse..i havent left the house..my husband is no support and tells me to get over it.

Hi im a mum to 8 young kids..ive had anxiety and depression for a while but 10 weeks i had a very traumatic cesarean birth which has made my depression so much worse..i havent left the house..my husband is no support and tells me to get over it.

Gibbo13 Anxiety & Panic disorder seeking some advice or experiences

Newbie here, long story cut short this may seem cliche and/or unbelievable to some but hear me out. in 2004 I was in year 8, in class a mate told me to listen to this song which apparently gave you the urge of commiting suicide, being young and dumb ... View more

Newbie here, long story cut short this may seem cliche and/or unbelievable to some but hear me out. in 2004 I was in year 8, in class a mate told me to listen to this song which apparently gave you the urge of commiting suicide, being young and dumb I thought “hey why not must be fake”. listened to the first 10 seconds and ripped the earphones out like no tomorrow, ever since then my mental health went down hill for 4 years then it was neutral. It’s extremely hard to explain what I felt however after that ordeal I felt something in my head pushing me to do something, I felt extreme panic and everything that goes with it. The thing is I had no thought of wanting to kill myself. 2010 is when it all started to come back again, I didn’t want to be in tall buildings, shopping centre top levels, aircrafts or anything relating to heights. Another thing popped out of nowhere and that was the feeling of escape when I was front passenger of a car on a motorway/highway. my worst scenarios were aeroplanes, which was a requirement of my job and still is. i have no fear of crashing or turbulence but the fact that I’m enclosed in a cabin, 30,000ft in the sky and have absolutely no chance of just getting out for fresh air is what freaks me out and sends the anxiety to an extreme level mentally. Now I haven’t gone nuts in the plane but I’ve been extremely uncomfortable with the thought of “I can’t do anything I need to get out” running through my head and what kills more is that everyone else is okay and what not and I’m the only one there struggling to keep sane. I’ve been with my fiancé for 11 years and she’s gone overseas 5 times with out me because of this and that kills me because it’s the one thing I can’t do with her and we do everything together. ive tried anti depressants prescribed, therapy and breathing techniques but they only work 5% of the time. I’m thinking of hypnosis but I’m happy to listen to what people have done if you’ve gone though it. Thanks

RememberAlice Finding a safe place
  • replies: 6

Hey, I've never done anything like this before, but in a rare moment of clarity during a depressive episode, I decided to look for an outlet that might actually help me improve. I have depression and anxiety, and despite visiting many counsellors ove... View more

Hey, I've never done anything like this before, but in a rare moment of clarity during a depressive episode, I decided to look for an outlet that might actually help me improve. I have depression and anxiety, and despite visiting many counsellors over the years, I continue to struggle every day. I'm sabotaging many of my relationships, and afraid that if I don't get on top of it I will end up alone, like my biggest fear. Anyway, I'm hoping that by putting myself out there, even anonymously, I can get the courage to try and try again to beat this... thank you A