Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Alekso Feeling Disconnected 🙃
  • replies: 1

Hi all, Only new here. But I’ve recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Since then my sugars have been between 4.5-7.5 so are very good. But can’t seem to get back to my normal self. I’m constantly worried about eating, my blood, having a heart... View more

Hi all, Only new here. But I’ve recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Since then my sugars have been between 4.5-7.5 so are very good. But can’t seem to get back to my normal self. I’m constantly worried about eating, my blood, having a heart attack and generally living longer now that I have Type 2. I know it’s silly and so many people live with it! Hence this post! iv even feeling disconnected from myself, caught in a day dream, can’t laugh, hard to smile, just bit myself! Sometimes I feel as if I’m spinning around and even going shopping makes it all worse! Or being in a small area with loads of people. I need help! I’ve had full blood tests done! They checked everting and it was perfect except slight blood sugar height. But I keep thinking I’m dying and I’ve got serious health issues. I’m a father of 3 and need to back to normal again! I’ve lost a job paying 140k a year over this! I’m almost at wits end!

Charlie2006 New and confused :)

I've just recently started looking into getting help and am excited to see other people and their opinions

I've just recently started looking into getting help and am excited to see other people and their opinions

sport123 Hi I'm new here!

Hi everyone, As you have seen I am new to this and have never been involved in anything like this before. I enjoy playing sport and going outside to enjoy the sunshine. At times I can feel quite alone and sad as I feel I am loosing a lot of friends. ... View more

Hi everyone, As you have seen I am new to this and have never been involved in anything like this before. I enjoy playing sport and going outside to enjoy the sunshine. At times I can feel quite alone and sad as I feel I am loosing a lot of friends. Although, I do have a great support network at home. Some mornings I feel down and struggle to complete certain activities and don't know why. I also have a lot of regrets (even though I have not done anything that I should regret) which makes it hard for me to find the motivation to go out and catch up with people. I am a kind person and wouldn't hurt a fly so hence why I am confused as to why I regret going out seeing as I have nothing to regret. I am not sure if it is just me overthinking everything or if I am doing something wrong. Does anyone else feel this way or even feel something similar? Thank you, Sport123

Homedics Me

Hi It's new year, I'm in bed , no celebrating for me. I'm not well. I've not been well for a few weeks now. My Christmas was spoiled once again by my father's selfish actions. Thank goodness I had my daughter and her partner , plus my partner here. I... View more

Hi It's new year, I'm in bed , no celebrating for me. I'm not well. I've not been well for a few weeks now. My Christmas was spoiled once again by my father's selfish actions. Thank goodness I had my daughter and her partner , plus my partner here. I m not feeling down that I'm not celebrating. It's I feel so bad I'm not well and my partner is in bed by midnight instead of enjoying himself . I scared this is going to be the start of what my year will be.

CRW1985 Newbie Single Dad feeling quite low
  • replies: 14

Hey all, So I have been at a fair low point for the last few weeks and I feel so alone and everything has just caught up to me emotionally. Taking on a new role at work has added extra pressure to me, I am struggling to find a house to move into so I... View more

Hey all, So I have been at a fair low point for the last few weeks and I feel so alone and everything has just caught up to me emotionally. Taking on a new role at work has added extra pressure to me, I am struggling to find a house to move into so I can truly separate from my ex, mediation for my daughter comes up soon and will probably lead to family court, and I have minimal, if any friends for support. Plus I do find it hard being single and feel like no one wants me as I do suffer a lot of rejection. I felt here would be the best place to find that I'm not alone, as a lot of people here are definitely experiencing the same things I am. I hope to not only find good support here but also be support for others. Thank you all for listening. -Chris

Sleeve Hello I’m new here
  • replies: 5

Hi I have never posted in a forum before let alone one like this . i have no one else to talk to about the things I’m going through I don’t really know what’s wrong to be honest I feel lonely and sad and like no one likes me in general I would love i... View more

Hi I have never posted in a forum before let alone one like this . i have no one else to talk to about the things I’m going through I don’t really know what’s wrong to be honest I feel lonely and sad and like no one likes me in general I would love it if I had a best friend who wanted to chat or see me instead of people who just want to see me when the want or need something I am married but my husband really pays me no attention my two daughters have left home youngest recently I don’t know if what I’m feeling is empty nest syndrome or if it’s something else has anyone else felt like this ?

Rachy351 My sister
  • replies: 3

Hey everyone, I'm new to this so please be patient... My sister is an alcoholic, and suffers depression really bad. It's the day after Xmas and yesterday (Xmas Day) she told me and my other sister that she wanted to kill herself. She told me this a c... View more

Hey everyone, I'm new to this so please be patient... My sister is an alcoholic, and suffers depression really bad. It's the day after Xmas and yesterday (Xmas Day) she told me and my other sister that she wanted to kill herself. She told me this a couple of days ago as well. This has come about because of a recent break up. The thing is she has only been seeing this guy for a few months. She has suffered from depression for many years now, and has been to various doctors and been on various meds. Nothing seems to work for her. But we thought she was getting better...she stopped drinking, she did an online beauty course, which she passed, and she lost weight... but now she seems to have gone back to square one. I have also been a drug addict for half my life, but have been clean now for over 2 years so I sort of know where she is coming from, and have been trying to give her some advice without sounding like a hypocrite. The thing is me and my sister are a bit stuck, so if anyone out there has any advice or direction...please lay it on me. Thanx for reading xx

Cranberry_Juice HI
  • replies: 4

Gday everybody My name is Joe I have BPD, Bipolar, Depression and anxiety. Im 51, I am a Aged Care nursing assistant. I have a good kind heart, maybe too kind sometimes. I have come to these forums hoping that if i talk about my inner feelings and tr... View more

Gday everybody My name is Joe I have BPD, Bipolar, Depression and anxiety. Im 51, I am a Aged Care nursing assistant. I have a good kind heart, maybe too kind sometimes. I have come to these forums hoping that if i talk about my inner feelings and traumatic events that I have kept bottled up most of life, it might help me discover who I am as a person, because I don't know who I am and maybe I can stop feeling so worthless and love myself again.

mva2017 Hi All

Hi Folks, I have been diagnosed with PTSD, Anxiety and Depression, I have been living with this since March 2017 after a MVA. I am seeing doctors and the like but of recent I have began to struggle with everything in my life. I feel like my life has ... View more

Hi Folks, I have been diagnosed with PTSD, Anxiety and Depression, I have been living with this since March 2017 after a MVA. I am seeing doctors and the like but of recent I have began to struggle with everything in my life. I feel like my life has been turned upside down and whatever I do doesn't seem to make it right. I struggle to talk to my family and friends as I don't want to be a burden on them. So I thought I would give this ago. Cheers

ConnieB Guidance Please
  • replies: 8

Hello everybody, I'm new here and taking time to find my way around the site, so I thought I'd write a post to hopefully get pointed in the right direction. I'm feeling rather overwhelmed, a couple years ago my father was diagnosed with advanced pros... View more

Hello everybody, I'm new here and taking time to find my way around the site, so I thought I'd write a post to hopefully get pointed in the right direction. I'm feeling rather overwhelmed, a couple years ago my father was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer, it has been a rollercoaster of emotions but recently, it seems as he is getting worse, feeling unwell constantly and he has been depressed since the diagnosis. He is stubborn and old fashioned and will not ask for help or talk to somebody, he even refuses to try support groups. My mother... Is no help, she has her own set of issues, but aside from that, and I quote, 'i just don't have the patience' to deal with him. This broke my heart. Over the past few months, I have increased how often I see my parents. I used to live two hours away from them, but moved slightly closer, we are now only an hour's drive from them, we still have responsibilities in the last place we lived, and the kids have their senior years at the current school they're attending so we didn't want to disrupt our life too much. But it seems it's not enough. They are lonely. But won't do anything to help themselves. They complain that there's no one to help them, and every week I see them, my mother always throws in a quick 'i don't care if I die'. She talks about dying Everytime I see them and it's not helping anyone emotionally. My 17 year old son was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, manageable yes, piled onto everything else going on in the past few weeks, overwhelming. I was working out the other day, and I just burst into tears. I have no problem reaching out for help. But how do I help my parents when it seems they don't want help even though they clearly need some?