Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Catiebrie Hello 👋
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone! First time posting. Just found this existed today so signed up. My name is Katie, 32 and I am a sahm to 2 boys, my youngest starting school next week. I have suffered anxiety since I was a teenager. It comes and goes. I suffer from it wo... View more

Hi everyone! First time posting. Just found this existed today so signed up. My name is Katie, 32 and I am a sahm to 2 boys, my youngest starting school next week. I have suffered anxiety since I was a teenager. It comes and goes. I suffer from it worst of all at home. Like today, I don't even want to think about venturing home after school pick up. As soon as I get home I'm straight inside and only go out if I need to. My husband works so it's me by myself at home. I do try to stay busy. Today having a massive anxiety attack, even as I write this and not knowing if I'm insane or over thinking. I know I'm safe and having nothing to fear, I can't change what I can't control, still freaking out. I take medication and have for three years. I see my doctor every six months. And I speak to my friends and family during the day who know me and still love my craziness. It's just all becoming a little too much. I own my house so I can't up and move though I'd love to. That's my life in a nut shell. Massive introvert too. Thank you for letting me vent. Hope I haven't scared anyone away!

FredPerkins Intro - black holes
  • replies: 4

Hi, Just a quick intro. It has been an awful weekend. I was feeling down Saturday morning. My partner wanted to delve into the issues, and the discussion ended up sending me into a black hole, running away for the weekend, lost and alone planning for... View more

Hi, Just a quick intro. It has been an awful weekend. I was feeling down Saturday morning. My partner wanted to delve into the issues, and the discussion ended up sending me into a black hole, running away for the weekend, lost and alone planning for a black, black future. I'm hoping to find better ways to: know when I'm heading in this direction let others (especially my partner) know find ways to discuss the issues with my partner, even if it means deferring the discussion until I am ready getting out of such holes before I am in too deep I think it has been a pattern for far too long. I've had a crazy few years, my wife died, redundancy and several new jobs, sold the family home and settled my 3 kids elsewhere, found a new partner. I've spent a lot of time on trying to get to a happier life and believe I have achieved a lot, but clearly some issues still require work.

Bexneedshelp In need of support & positivity
  • replies: 1

Hey there. I'm new to this so bear with me.. These past 3 months.. have been a real struggle.. My dad, has always been the strongest man who I've always turned to for guidance. He had an accident at home and he's been in hospital since recovery from ... View more

Hey there. I'm new to this so bear with me.. These past 3 months.. have been a real struggle.. My dad, has always been the strongest man who I've always turned to for guidance. He had an accident at home and he's been in hospital since recovery from his injuries. Every time we visit him he has a smile on his face but I can't help but think that he's just doing that because he wants us to continue to be strong so we can all overcome this. I'm his first born so it's really hit me hard. I have a full time job in the health fund industry and often struggle most days to separate my personal life from my work life. I cannot help but feel helpless and alone even though my partner supports me but I need someone else to talk to.

dcoy lost
  • replies: 8

hi im new here,i've been living in australia for the past 6 years.most of those years im busy working 6-7 days a week..and then all of a sudden i felt my life is going nowhere..i start feeling i dont like the job that im doing,i hate the people im wo... View more

hi im new here,i've been living in australia for the past 6 years.most of those years im busy working 6-7 days a week..and then all of a sudden i felt my life is going nowhere..i start feeling i dont like the job that im doing,i hate the people im working with.

sadnesspart2 self introduction

Hi people's, I thought i would introduce my self,I'm a 47 year old father of 2 who has been living on and off with depression and anxiety for 20 years. A death in my family started my depression all those years ago, i was medicated for 2 years then i... View more

Hi people's, I thought i would introduce my self,I'm a 47 year old father of 2 who has been living on and off with depression and anxiety for 20 years. A death in my family started my depression all those years ago, i was medicated for 2 years then i stopped, I was ok for about 5 years then the dark creature retured and leave several times and i managed to fight him off . Around the middle of last year My father was taken to hospital and later moved into a nursing home and my old dark creature returned but this time i couldn't fight him off. My doctor put me back on the medication but the side effects were twice as bad as the last time i took it (10 years ago) so i stopped taking it thinking i could fight off the monster but now i don't have the strength. I have made another doctor's appointment but i think i need to try a different medication, the side effects were headaches and no motivation and energy and brain zaps. I'm sorry this is a long post. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Rorsta79 Looking to find people to talk to

Hi I am a 40 year old male that has had depression and anxiety since my teens. I have for a long time tried to hide my mental illness from employers and others fearing they will not understand, at a point now I need to accept it and just need to find... View more

Hi I am a 40 year old male that has had depression and anxiety since my teens. I have for a long time tried to hide my mental illness from employers and others fearing they will not understand, at a point now I need to accept it and just need to find people with depression and anxiety to talk to and to try and get me through the bad times I go through. Thanks and talk soon

Howlite Saying Hello
  • replies: 3

Greetings everyone i have recently been diagnosed with major depression late in my life. It seems this happened to me after a traumatic event in my life. After much trial and error I am now on what appears to be the best medication for me. I see a gr... View more

Greetings everyone i have recently been diagnosed with major depression late in my life. It seems this happened to me after a traumatic event in my life. After much trial and error I am now on what appears to be the best medication for me. I see a great Phycologist regularly. I have my days when I can’t get out of bed. It’s hard work trying to put in place all the strategies that I get from my Phycologist! I hope I am able to contribute successfully to these forums

VTR Hello to all :)

Hello,New to this site and hoping to find guidance on how to handle some of the things I daily find challenging. Peace to everyone.

Hello,New to this site and hoping to find guidance on how to handle some of the things I daily find challenging. Peace to everyone.

Lady_Nova Hi there! - Nova
  • replies: 14

Hi, I'll try this again. My original post in intros was, appropriately, moved to PTSD and Trauma, rightly so ... I can be intense lol. I will try and be less drama & more "Hi There!" I am a long time mental health consumer in my 50's. I have lived th... View more

Hi, I'll try this again. My original post in intros was, appropriately, moved to PTSD and Trauma, rightly so ... I can be intense lol. I will try and be less drama & more "Hi There!" I am a long time mental health consumer in my 50's. I have lived through childhood trauma & an emotionally abusive marriage. I have three children. I left my marital home in 2009 & I moved to a coastal idyll in 2012 which was most recently devastated by bush fires. I care for my family of 3 full time. In my household there is autism, uncontrolled epilepsy, rapid cycling bi-polar, Major Depressive disorder, generalised anxiety disorder, anxiety, 2 forms of chronic insomnia, sleep apnoea, oppositional defiance disorder, diabetes, c-PTSD, chronic pain disorder, intellectual disability, expressive language disorder ... to name a few. The MDD, GAD and c-PTSD are mine ... lucky me? I have managed to get 2 of my family on to NDIS, which if any of you know, is a whole new set of horrors and abusive processes. I tried to get it for myself, but when I was rejected & told I would have to PROVE why I have PTSD, I walked away from it ... no thanks. My passions follow several routes: 1. Macro photography. I chase bees and other small creatures, I love close ups of flowers and I love playing with light. I find when I am focusing on tiny moments in the lens I have trouble focusing on my chaos. A therapeutic past time I highly recommend. 2. I am a bit of a foraging, growing, cooking from scratch, locavore hippy. I love to cook by the seat of my pants. One of my household is a qualified French Chef, retired, he never complains, so that's a win! It also keeps the budget manageable, another win. 3. Dungeons and Dragons! Yes that qualifies me as a Geek. As a family, with 2 friends equally geeky added in, we play DnD. My eldest is working on DnD therapy for youth with special social needs. We started playing to help my youngest with autism & expressive language disorder. Engaging in interactive story telling is helping all of us in so many ways. 4. I read a lot, mostly science fantasy these days, but I cut my teeth on pure Scifi. I will also indulge in classics, especially regency romance. 5. Gaming & social media are also up there, but not at all a priority, just something to do whilst in between my caring duties, cooking & bee worrying ... I also have a pet duck, Daisy, who is lame & geriatric, & two hens past their prime, but indulged,spoilt & fat. Well, that's me ... "hi there!"

Guest_9365 Anxiety and BDD

Hi, I was diagnosed many years ago with Depression, Anxiety, OCD and BDD. Have been on and off medication and in and out of therapy since 2010. Last year the Anxiety got so bad my GP medicated me again and has suggested I stay on it for life. I have ... View more

Hi, I was diagnosed many years ago with Depression, Anxiety, OCD and BDD. Have been on and off medication and in and out of therapy since 2010. Last year the Anxiety got so bad my GP medicated me again and has suggested I stay on it for life. I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder. The last two weeks have been hard, I think I need to up my meds but don't know if I want to. Funny thing is out of all my disorders the one that annoys me the most is the BDD. I am sick and tired of waking up everyday hating myself. Looking in the mirror and seeing an ugly, fat person. Worrying about what other people are thinking about Me. Worrying about what the scale tells me. I just want to spend one day not hating what I see in the mirror. How can I fix this. As silly as it is, I can live with the Anxiety and OCD (even though I drive everyone around me crazy) but I am sick and tired of worrying about the way I look.