Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Equalitysmiles Now I am ok and a new memory
  • replies: 4

Hello Forum, At the beginning of the week I was not ok. But by the end of the week I am now Ok. I have been on my journey for decades. It use to take me years to come out from a very horrible place, then it was months, weeks and now it is days and ho... View more

Hello Forum, At the beginning of the week I was not ok. But by the end of the week I am now Ok. I have been on my journey for decades. It use to take me years to come out from a very horrible place, then it was months, weeks and now it is days and hours. I will be glad when it becomes like nothing like seconds. Now I have to go on a new journey cause the old one is ending. I have been on the worst of this experience, including the worst given to me by professionals, and now today I was given the best treatment.Sometimes before you get to the best, you have to go through the worst. The medical test is the first step on my journey. And when the virus is over for our nation and city, my son can finish his medical surgery journey. Its hard when abled body people go through what he is going to go through, but when you are internally disabled and have mulitple disabilities, that can be outrageous. Be he is also ok. When u have no team with or for you, no support, no help and you on your own, it can be really hard, but now because of the fires and what people are living as well, I now have my team of people that can help me and want to help and want to help us get well. When people want the worst for you its dreadful. When people want the best for you its amazing. I now have a new memory given to me because of it. What was the best about today, I walked along the side of the road, and the little finch came near. Love the finches. And just heard that lone little finches chirp, and singing and flying alongside of me as we walked together along the road and it gave me such joy appreciation for our nation and area we are in. I am so glad for the little finches, so glad for that one. I really know now I am not alone and neither are they. I was concerned about the test I had to do, because I have the test before it can be horrible.It can be simple for other people to do, and no one really likes it but sometimes its necessary. But today it wasn't too bad, and my doctor and the medical surgery staff, they were really great today. They were everything they needed to be for me and the situation.I really appreciate them. And now I had a physical test, we are going to get some facts to find out for sure, what my situation is. And then once we have that test result, we can all go ok and accept the result together. Then we can take the next step knowing for sure and certain. What I learnt from all this was how to stand on my own two feet. Es

Guest_24 Returning home after fire fighting.
  • replies: 4

Hi Recently I returned from a number of deployments with the RFS in various parts of NSW. I valued the time spent doing my service in the communities that I was assigned too. However returning home I have started to struggle in a number of ways, for ... View more

Hi Recently I returned from a number of deployments with the RFS in various parts of NSW. I valued the time spent doing my service in the communities that I was assigned too. However returning home I have started to struggle in a number of ways, for instance lacking concerntration at work, being forever mindful of trees, tired all the time, jumpy etc. Im just looking for some coping strategies and or organisations or resources to get myself back to normal.

MelindaB Psychological Injury Workers Comp.
  • replies: 2

Hello Everyone, I have a friend who needs some advice about workers comp. While at work few weeks ago she was feeling unwell. She asked the manager to go home as she was feeling quite unwell.The manager refused to let her go home and told her she can... View more

Hello Everyone, I have a friend who needs some advice about workers comp. While at work few weeks ago she was feeling unwell. She asked the manager to go home as she was feeling quite unwell.The manager refused to let her go home and told her she can't let her leave because she cannot cover her. My friend went back to work minutes later she had collapsed. No ambulance was called or any support offered. Shaken and upset my friend drove herself to the doctors. She went back to work after having 6 days off as she had no sick leave. Since being back at work she is now being treated differently by the managers they aretrying to sweep it under the carpet and she was ignored for weeks after the incident. She has seen a doctor and the doctor diagnosed her with Psychological Workplace Injury from failure to provide a safe work environment and has advised her to put a claim through work cover. My friend is now scared what to do, she can't afford time off but her mental health is suffering greatly. She is scared if her claim is rejected she will be out of a job with no financial stability. She's at the point where the thought of going back to that workplace there cases a panic attack and she's having to take depression medication to get her through the day Can someone please give me some advice I can pass to her. Thank you.

Not Asking For A Friend Intro - I've hit my lowest low, I've admitted I need help but don't know what my problem is.

Hello all. As introduction I will explain what has bought me here. I have just spent the day confessing to my partner of 12+yrs that I have cheated more than once. We think I have some underlying mental issues which has contributed towards destructiv... View more

Hello all. As introduction I will explain what has bought me here. I have just spent the day confessing to my partner of 12+yrs that I have cheated more than once. We think I have some underlying mental issues which has contributed towards destructive behaviours (binge drinking, cheating). Whilst I believe I have had episodes of depression in the past, for the most part I can't say for certain that I am depressed. But I am also unable to explain my behaviours, feelings, or difficulties. I am still not sure if I have legitimate issues or if I am just a horrible person. Doctors appointment tomorrow to get the ball rolling towards help.

Mackey Help with my Partner
  • replies: 1

Hi I have been in a relationship with a guy for 15 years and I am positive he is Bi Polar but will not do anything about it. He loses it over the smallest things and its like walking on egg shells.Some times hes OK but the older he gets the worse he ... View more

Hi I have been in a relationship with a guy for 15 years and I am positive he is Bi Polar but will not do anything about it. He loses it over the smallest things and its like walking on egg shells.Some times hes OK but the older he gets the worse he is I've tried to talk to friends of his but no one listens.He breaks up with me over any ridiculous thing and then he'll go and do something absolutely stupid.He has no money and has just given notice at the unit he rents and has gone and bought a caravan and has decided to travel around Australia and tells everyone its what he has always wanted to do.Last year he was going to china he just listens to what his friends are doing and then decides he'll do the same.We don't live together and I own my own home and have no finances involving him I need to understand how to cope with him as I love him.i don't know are there any support groups.

mocha delight I think I might have depression
  • replies: 14

I’m new and think I may have depression as my gp thought I might have a touch of it but I think it’s more then that as I’ve got most of the signs/symptoms which I new I did have a slight case of it. But ever since I was diagnosed with sleep apnea & c... View more

I’m new and think I may have depression as my gp thought I might have a touch of it but I think it’s more then that as I’ve got most of the signs/symptoms which I new I did have a slight case of it. But ever since I was diagnosed with sleep apnea & coeliac disease (gp thought it was just the stress of diagnosis) but yet things still have not changed and In fact has developed more so since the gastroenterologist I had been going to completely mishandled my case. I’ve tried talking to one family member but they kind of ignored it and another one I tried to talk to but it did not go as planned. So I’ve come here as there seems to be really great support here. Mocha delight

Equalitysmiles I am not Ok
  • replies: 7

I am not ok about a whole bunch of stuff happening at present. So I am resting . And I am not writing at this time, because it would distress people out beyond measure including myself and yet I would come back into a quiet rest and come into the qui... View more

I am not ok about a whole bunch of stuff happening at present. So I am resting . And I am not writing at this time, because it would distress people out beyond measure including myself and yet I would come back into a quiet rest and come into the quietness that I know because I am not spending any time with people and u r alone and yet ur also with ur family who are also alone. And a lot of the time, I simply can't be with other people because I am disabled and in a health crisis but I am also gifted with contemplation was born that way. Or u can't spend time with the family u live with because they are disabled and in a health crisis and they are also contemplators and meditators. And no one talks to each other. And when the health crisis then transforms into Serenity Grace there are no words quiet like it. When our silence goes from an oppressive abuse to a freeing grace and we can live our life in the way we can simply because we come into a beautiful quiet awareness. And we go from crisis mode into an inner quiet confidence we are than able to deal with our lives and take the necessary action and the problems get solved. The bush fires are a lot easier to deal with and accept than our disablement and health crisis situation.

Natd Hi, reaching out for advice and people to talk to who understand
  • replies: 2

Hi, I have suffered with depression and anxiety for 12+ years from a number of life events. I go through good phases and bad phases, at one point I thought I had it under control but lately I am going through a really bad phase. I have tried many thi... View more

Hi, I have suffered with depression and anxiety for 12+ years from a number of life events. I go through good phases and bad phases, at one point I thought I had it under control but lately I am going through a really bad phase. I have tried many things in the past to try and get past feelings of loneliness, frustration, self-doubt, low self esteem, low motivation. Currently seeing a psychologist who I have only seen 3 times so far and now have to wait to the middle of March to see her. Also tried to talk to different friends about how I am feeling but a few of them don't seem to understand how bad I am feeling. I just wanted to know if anyone had any good self-help tips, good books that they have read that they have found helpful or anything that I could try. Thanks

Marnie76 Greetings
  • replies: 1

Hi Beyond Blue Community, My name is Marnie and I thought I would write a few lines to introduce myself as I have just registered with B.B, applied for my first volunteering role and filled in a form for Blue Voices. I was first diagnosed with PTSD i... View more

Hi Beyond Blue Community, My name is Marnie and I thought I would write a few lines to introduce myself as I have just registered with B.B, applied for my first volunteering role and filled in a form for Blue Voices. I was first diagnosed with PTSD in 1997, which came with psychosis, anxiety, agrophobia, OCD tendencies and was in and out of psych wards with several suicide attempts until 2011. I was diagnosed with Bi Polar 2 on top of the PTSD in 2011 and had a very long hospital stay and put on very heavy medication doses. I am pleased to say that over a 2 year period, I stepped down from my medication and have now been medication free since October 2018. My recovery process was long, I still worked and studied, often not telling employers about my diagnosis due to stigma and not wanting to be told I am incompetent, or being treated differently to the rest of the staff. I started meditation and sound healing therapy, which I still use today and recently have taken up Tai Chi, which even after only 2 weeks of practising, is making a huge improvement on memory and concentration. I practice gratitude affirmations and AM extremely grateful for my life and the people around me who I know love me, even when they have had to step away for their own sense of mental health when supporting me. It can be tough to see, hear and feel someone you love so distressed, and often others don't know how to deal with it. I find active meditation in growing my own veggies helpful for mind, body and spirit and sense of healing and independence from that. Nurturing plants and knowing you have grown your own food free of any chemicals and pesticides gives an immense sense of accomplishment and self soothing in knowing I can sustain myself and offer food to family or people in need. My pets are a constant source of joy and gratitude and entertainment. I have an 11 week old English Staffordshire Bull Terrier and 2 8 year old cats who are brothers from the same litter. I am really looking forward to becoming involved with BB, becoming a public speaker and getting involved with some activism stuff. Thanks for reading. Have a great day, Marnie

Bailevie Hidden behind a smile
  • replies: 3

Hi Everyone, My name is Dean I’m new here and just after some advice. I’m 28 and actually find myself quite lucky in some ways because I have a wonderful partner and an 18 month old who I adore but can’t shake the feelings I have of myself. For some ... View more

Hi Everyone, My name is Dean I’m new here and just after some advice. I’m 28 and actually find myself quite lucky in some ways because I have a wonderful partner and an 18 month old who I adore but can’t shake the feelings I have of myself. For some time now I’ve felt quite lonely outside of my relationship with my partner and our child mainly due to the fact that I’ve distanced myself from former people who I thought were my friends but ultimately it turns out they weren’t. This has of more recent times escalated to my immediate family who I do care for but their lack of seeming interest in my daughter, their granddaughter, is tearing me up a little bit and adding to that is my constant approach of maintaining my happy go lucky nature which I had for the most part of my life and mixing it with my social anxiety leaves me here today exhausted at the constant front I’m putting up. And the worst part about it is this is now effecting the people left in my life who I genuinely love and care for and that is my partner and daughter. My partner and daughter are so supportive of me and we have great times but I’m having sudden outbursts which are mostly over minuscule things due to this pressure I’m putting on myself and it’s starting to effect and wear out my partner who has already got her hands full raising our daughter and having to deal with my issues as well. She is pushing me towards speaking with someone which I know I should but I really struggle to open up to anyone. The fact I feel I’ve got no social network (friends/family) to openly speak to isn’t helping me either so I thought this might be a small step in the right direction. Sorry if I’ve rambled on a little bit but I really appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read this and if anyone feels in a similar situation I would love to hear from you!