Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Ashiraz Need help understanding how to support my partner whom may be going through depression
  • replies: 2

Hi, I am a newbie here. I joined today cz I really need some help understanding whether my partner has depression and get to know how to help him. Since of late he has been skipping work a lot and says that he feels down. He thinks going to work is j... View more

Hi, I am a newbie here. I joined today cz I really need some help understanding whether my partner has depression and get to know how to help him. Since of late he has been skipping work a lot and says that he feels down. He thinks going to work is just a distraction to get by..He often questions "the point" of it all and I am not sure I know how to help him. We both grew up in cultures where we never discussed mental health, so I am not even sure whether it is the case. I am worried leaving him home for work cz I fear that he might harm himself. He sometimes asks me to stay home with him cz he feels "down" but is the only way he expresses it. He generally is an over-thinker and keeps himself busy. I am starting to believe that he tries to keep himself occupied all the time, (be it household improvement or working out a loan, buying a car etc)cz when he is not he feels "down". Any feedback on how I need to approach? Please help me...

anonymous1000x Do I belong here? Do I have a drug problem?

I'm not sure where else to look for answers. I take prescription opioids for severe pain. I mean *severe*. I have, at times, thought about taking my own life just so the pain would stop. I've been taking opioids for about 3 years. I never felt high, ... View more

I'm not sure where else to look for answers. I take prescription opioids for severe pain. I mean *severe*. I have, at times, thought about taking my own life just so the pain would stop. I've been taking opioids for about 3 years. I never felt high, never had any "good" feelings from it, simply had pain relief. Now would be a good time to mention that addiction is strong in my family. My grandmother drunk herself to death. An aunt and an uncle both have been homeless at times because of their drug addictions and untreated mental illness.When I was first offered pain pills by my doctor, I had to fill out this survey, looking at risk factors. I'm still sort of surprised I was given opioids based on my answers to that survey. History of addiction in family: check. Childhood sexual abuse: check. Mental illness: check. On paper, I look like the last person you'd want to give these drugs to. But it's been years now and I've been fine. But just the last few months I've noticed behaviors in myself that are risky. I don't know what changed. I still don't get a high feeling from them, probably because I almost always take them exactly as prescribed. But I started to shift doses based on my mood. It's like one day I suddenly thought, I just took my morning dose a couple hours ago but if I take my afternoon dose now, I will probably feel a tiny bit less depressed. Not high, just baseline or normal. That means I'd sacrifice an afternoon dose, but oh well. I was taking the right number, just shifting times, but I guess the mildly concerning behavior is/was that I was doing it based on my emotions, not my pain levels. Last time I saw my pain doctor, I told him I get breakthrough pain and have the shift around doses - a half-truth.he gave me 10 extra pills a month. That means that a couple days each week, I can have extra. I can have that extra pill for pain. Or I could have it for a day, a moment, that I feel overwhelmed or anxious or depressed. Am I abusing my drugs? Can I stop this? What will happen if I go down this road? Sometimes I'll feel very...normal, and I'll think, "How silly that you were afraid you were going down some 'dark path', it was just a momentary thing." Even writing this now, I feel kind of dumb, like you're all going to tell me I have no problem and that I'm in the wrong place or I'm being dramatic. Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't know where else to go.

Leesh8 Struggling with insomnia and low esteem

Hi people call me Leesh, I have decided to join this space as I need another space to share my thoughts without including my sleeping boyfriend. Nothing seems to be going right, except for my amazing partner that I fear I'm going to push away. I have... View more

Hi people call me Leesh, I have decided to join this space as I need another space to share my thoughts without including my sleeping boyfriend. Nothing seems to be going right, except for my amazing partner that I fear I'm going to push away. I have always struggled with anxiety and currently trying to work out how to let things go from the past. My last relationship split because I hit an all time low, crying most nights after losing my best friend, my dog. After a year had gone by, he couldn't put up with my sadness any lingee, which is understandable. I fell out with my best friend if 5 years. And about 6 months ago I lost my baby with my current partner. I haven't been able to sleep probably and I'm trying to stay away from the sleeping tablets since they are addicting. I have just finished uni and struggling to find motivation to start my own business as I'm currently in a toxic work environment. Life doesn't want to give me a break and I'm not sure how to fix myself. Does anyone have any tips on how to let things from the past go and finding self worth. Thankyou for taking your time to read this and letting me into this space.

Malificent76 Feeling lost and trying to find myself
  • replies: 3

I’ve felt so lost for the last 2 years and struggling to find myself. hating life At the moment. Love and adore being a mum and love my daughters as much as they can drive me batty, got to love nearly teenagers.. Lost the friendship of my best friend... View more

I’ve felt so lost for the last 2 years and struggling to find myself. hating life At the moment. Love and adore being a mum and love my daughters as much as they can drive me batty, got to love nearly teenagers.. Lost the friendship of my best friend of 10 years, who was like a sister to me... that’s added onto another significant friendship loss a few years earlier. the ex husband unexpectedly passed away so now I’m my daughters sole parent as much as I was even when he was alive. due to his death and lead up to it my partner and I had significant issues and still do, added to him now having BPD. felt so alone in that time as everyone shunned me, tried to talk to friends but that was useless.. now I just want to hide away, frig the world and people in it. Feeling like a fat hefer so that is doing great wonders to my head all on top of trying to figure out my life, the one I’m hating at the moment. sorry just needed to get that out.

Scorpio80 Introduction Newby here
  • replies: 7

Hi there, I have always been a happy person all my life but I have lost who I am thanks to allowing myself to be run by a controlling man for 10 years. We always did everything he wanted to do, go where ever he wanted to go. He drove me and picked me... View more

Hi there, I have always been a happy person all my life but I have lost who I am thanks to allowing myself to be run by a controlling man for 10 years. We always did everything he wanted to do, go where ever he wanted to go. He drove me and picked me up from work every day, if he saw me speak to another male i was accused of sleeping with him even if he was a 60 year male customer from the retail job i worked at (Service station). I was caught up in the love bubble and chose him over my friends because he didn't like them. I was always looking over my shoulder all day every day just watching out for him so i wasn't doing anything to anoy him. He had anger issues but always blamed me for him going off even when i knew I had nothing to do with it, and his parents told me its easier not to argue back to him to not make things worse. The emotional mind games telling me how fat and ugly I was, if we ever broke up that no one would want me drove my self esteem through the floor. When he got angry his eyes turned black and I feared for my life. It took me a long time to leave to which I did 2 1/2yrs ago. Fear from him and his family has caused me to live with the thoughts that they will come for me and harm me even though they haven't. I have moved 2 states and have times where I can be at work or anywhere and I feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest, hot flushes, tingly in my hands and feet and feel like I'm going to faint. I have never experienced this before. I was put on antidepressants from my doctor but i don't want to let this rule me. I know I'm not alone, so putting my story here I'm hoping will help me and others.

EmmaClare Introduction
  • replies: 3

Hi my name is Emma I have suffered from Anxiety, depression and anger since I was 17yrs old currently 29. i have had success with managing my illness over the years through recognition of my triggers and also coping skills I have put in place for mys... View more

Hi my name is Emma I have suffered from Anxiety, depression and anger since I was 17yrs old currently 29. i have had success with managing my illness over the years through recognition of my triggers and also coping skills I have put in place for myself. Unfortunately all this has changed over the last 3months. I have been diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which I have been told that due to the hormonal battle taking place in my body will have an effect on my mental illness. I was always the one helping others, people would come to me about their problems as I am very good at listening, understanding and offer good support. I have always gone the extra mile for other ppl because I truly care, but now the shoe is on the other foot. I find myself confused and unsure how to come. My depression is making me flat and deeply misunderstood by those around me. I am a stay at home mum so it isn’t easy for me to go out and meet new ppl. The support system I did have my friends are no longer around. One told me I was to smothering and the other I lost to drug abuse. if any of you have the time for a chat and understand what I’m going through I would greatly appreciate it. thank you love to you all x

Equalitysmiles Now I am ok and a new memory
  • replies: 4

Hello Forum, At the beginning of the week I was not ok. But by the end of the week I am now Ok. I have been on my journey for decades. It use to take me years to come out from a very horrible place, then it was months, weeks and now it is days and ho... View more

Hello Forum, At the beginning of the week I was not ok. But by the end of the week I am now Ok. I have been on my journey for decades. It use to take me years to come out from a very horrible place, then it was months, weeks and now it is days and hours. I will be glad when it becomes like nothing like seconds. Now I have to go on a new journey cause the old one is ending. I have been on the worst of this experience, including the worst given to me by professionals, and now today I was given the best treatment.Sometimes before you get to the best, you have to go through the worst. The medical test is the first step on my journey. And when the virus is over for our nation and city, my son can finish his medical surgery journey. Its hard when abled body people go through what he is going to go through, but when you are internally disabled and have mulitple disabilities, that can be outrageous. Be he is also ok. When u have no team with or for you, no support, no help and you on your own, it can be really hard, but now because of the fires and what people are living as well, I now have my team of people that can help me and want to help and want to help us get well. When people want the worst for you its dreadful. When people want the best for you its amazing. I now have a new memory given to me because of it. What was the best about today, I walked along the side of the road, and the little finch came near. Love the finches. And just heard that lone little finches chirp, and singing and flying alongside of me as we walked together along the road and it gave me such joy appreciation for our nation and area we are in. I am so glad for the little finches, so glad for that one. I really know now I am not alone and neither are they. I was concerned about the test I had to do, because I have the test before it can be horrible.It can be simple for other people to do, and no one really likes it but sometimes its necessary. But today it wasn't too bad, and my doctor and the medical surgery staff, they were really great today. They were everything they needed to be for me and the situation.I really appreciate them. And now I had a physical test, we are going to get some facts to find out for sure, what my situation is. And then once we have that test result, we can all go ok and accept the result together. Then we can take the next step knowing for sure and certain. What I learnt from all this was how to stand on my own two feet. Es

Guest_24 Returning home after fire fighting.
  • replies: 4

Hi Recently I returned from a number of deployments with the RFS in various parts of NSW. I valued the time spent doing my service in the communities that I was assigned too. However returning home I have started to struggle in a number of ways, for ... View more

Hi Recently I returned from a number of deployments with the RFS in various parts of NSW. I valued the time spent doing my service in the communities that I was assigned too. However returning home I have started to struggle in a number of ways, for instance lacking concerntration at work, being forever mindful of trees, tired all the time, jumpy etc. Im just looking for some coping strategies and or organisations or resources to get myself back to normal.

MelindaB Psychological Injury Workers Comp.

Hello Everyone, I have a friend who needs some advice about workers comp. While at work few weeks ago she was feeling unwell. She asked the manager to go home as she was feeling quite unwell.The manager refused to let her go home and told her she can... View more

Hello Everyone, I have a friend who needs some advice about workers comp. While at work few weeks ago she was feeling unwell. She asked the manager to go home as she was feeling quite unwell.The manager refused to let her go home and told her she can't let her leave because she cannot cover her. My friend went back to work minutes later she had collapsed. No ambulance was called or any support offered. Shaken and upset my friend drove herself to the doctors. She went back to work after having 6 days off as she had no sick leave. Since being back at work she is now being treated differently by the managers they aretrying to sweep it under the carpet and she was ignored for weeks after the incident. She has seen a doctor and the doctor diagnosed her with Psychological Workplace Injury from failure to provide a safe work environment and has advised her to put a claim through work cover. My friend is now scared what to do, she can't afford time off but her mental health is suffering greatly. She is scared if her claim is rejected she will be out of a job with no financial stability. She's at the point where the thought of going back to that workplace there cases a panic attack and she's having to take depression medication to get her through the day Can someone please give me some advice I can pass to her. Thank you.