Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Goingmad Depression and anxiety
  • replies: 2

Hi guy's first post on here and i suffer from depression and anxiety i might add mostly health anxiety. I amm 66 and it started 20 odd years ago after having 2 very rare tumors removed and my half brother was dying. I have tried everything for 10 yea... View more

Hi guy's first post on here and i suffer from depression and anxiety i might add mostly health anxiety. I amm 66 and it started 20 odd years ago after having 2 very rare tumors removed and my half brother was dying. I have tried everything for 10 years but they have seemed to plateaued out. I do have good times but as soon as i get a little bit of pain i jump to thought it must be some sort of cancer. I do get blood test every year which are ok but when I'm having a bad time my bowels seem to play up ad then i think i must have bowel cancer but cannot bring myself to have any test for it as i always think the worse

Helen72 Hi :-)
  • replies: 3

Hi People, I've just joined so a bit overwhelmed with all the posts but I'll find my way around. A bit about me - I'm disabled single parent so you can guess at some of the things I've had to deal with! Anyway with the help of. others, I've persevere... View more

Hi People, I've just joined so a bit overwhelmed with all the posts but I'll find my way around. A bit about me - I'm disabled single parent so you can guess at some of the things I've had to deal with! Anyway with the help of. others, I've persevered and now life is mostly ok (except for the effects of this virus). Anyway I'll be around and chatting Helen

The_Black_Meeple Just joined

Hi Folks, I’ve just signed up to this forum and have been reading some of your stories. I am amazed with how supportive and wonderful everybody is here. I’m a 41 year old guy who suffers with depression. It’s particularly bad at the moment due to the... View more

Hi Folks, I’ve just signed up to this forum and have been reading some of your stories. I am amazed with how supportive and wonderful everybody is here. I’m a 41 year old guy who suffers with depression. It’s particularly bad at the moment due to the very recent break up of my marriage and the fact that I am now stuck at home with my ex and we are in each others faces 24/7. I have no income due to the covid-19 situation and nowhere else to go. I mean I have extended family but I I don’t want to be far away from my children. Admittedly, I initiated the break-up but that doesn’t make it any easier. My marriage was making me incredibly unhappy for a very long time and it was an incredibly difficult decision to make. I am so sad all of the time now and am struggling to see what the point is with any of it. I am not a suicide risk but I can honestly say that’s only because I have children; I could never do that to them. Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you and getting/giving advise and support. Peace, Meeps

BlueSmoke Thanks for the Help Beyond Blue!!
  • replies: 12

I’m just putting this out there - admittedly to help myself release in the aftermath of my experience and for those who may be hesitant about seeking some assistance or talking to someone about coping with high anxiety at the moment. Especially other... View more

I’m just putting this out there - admittedly to help myself release in the aftermath of my experience and for those who may be hesitant about seeking some assistance or talking to someone about coping with high anxiety at the moment. Especially other men out there. To put things into perspective - Over the past 40 odd years I’ve always secretly thought I was invincible and strong minded, always able to talk myself through any situation or deal with life’s struggles without needing to burden others with my problems, I’m pretty active, my work is steady and seemingly I am one that shouldn’t really have too many concerns in life... blah, blah etc..etc). Well it turns out I wasn’t as invincible as I thought. Two weeks ago amidst the noise of everything going on with Covid Virus I thought It might be a good idea and went cold turkey off drinking coffee. Over the course of the last week I’d convinced myself I had the virus, my breathing was so tight, my body was so locked up I felt like every breathe I took would be my last - panic attacks all day & waking up in the middle of the night choking on fear and doubt for myself and humanity... coupled with a physical manifestation of a pinched nerve in my upper right back that was clearly the epicentre of where I was holding in all my tension and anxiety. Admittedly there had been some personal incidents over the past few months that clearly were playing on my mind I hadn’t dealt with (a loss of a close friend, a break up and the news of my 8 month old niece diagnosed with cancerous tumours in both eyes playing heavy on our entire family. Along with the noise of the media, the hype of US & global politics was filling my head with so much crap that last week I hit the wall mentally. Not wanting to burden my family with more grief and not sure where to turn I ended up calling BB 3 times over a couple of days just to talk to someone... it really helped calm me down on the tail end of my attacks in those moments. I’d been attempting some deep breathing techniques but the pain in my back was so excruciating and limiting the expansion of my breathe. The outcome being that I started using the color visualisation for pain technique as referred to me by a BB councillor and that really helped me focus and flush the pain. I am only after a couple of days now almost back to full force again! In summary... Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask for help you are not alone! Thank you BB and remember to be kind to yourself people

Fija New here and at a total loss
  • replies: 6

Hi there I’m new here and I joined to get help I’ve been dating a wonderful man for over 5 years now he has 2 kids I have 4 we have had our ups and downs over the years with he’s bipolar he doesn’t get to see he’s kids much one of them doesn’t want t... View more

Hi there I’m new here and I joined to get help I’ve been dating a wonderful man for over 5 years now he has 2 kids I have 4 we have had our ups and downs over the years with he’s bipolar he doesn’t get to see he’s kids much one of them doesn’t want to see him at all the other hasn’t spent any time with him for quite a while now my kids are in my life only 2 live with me but are old enough to look after one another one being 20 and the other 17 my man doesn’t live with me due to the kids he can not cope being a full time dad I’m a FIFO worker so I’m not always home he understands the fifo life as that’s how we meet we were planning on marrying last Saturday and due to the coronavirus rules it made it difficult we wanted everyone there so decided to postpone I flew home a week before the wedding to be and things were starting to get stressful with the outbreak of the virus my kids aren’t alway looking after my house as best as they should I ask for simple things to be done especially to keep the kitchen clean and feed my fur baby but it’s not always up to scratch they don’t always respect me or my man My man decided to stay so we could isolate together instead of being in 2 houses so with the virus my kids and calling off the wedding being copped up in one house has made things difficult my man expects respect from my kids they love him but They can be very lazy my older boy loves woodwork and we bought him a few tools and have wood for him to make stuff but hasn’t been touched for over 3 months since we got it anyway the shit hit the fan and my man had enough long story short he thinks I don’t make him priority one which I do I do understand he’s values but that wasn’t enough he packed all of he’s stuff said that I had waisted the last 5 years of he’s life and wanted nothing to do with me he won’t even let me have anything to do with one of our fur babies he said I didn’t love him as much as he loved me he has had bipolar for over 20 years and does take he’s medication regularly he has pushed me away before but this seems more harder than before I have been nothing but supportive and loving to him from the first day he’s family love me and my kids I’m trying so hard not to contact him he did say he would email me to let me know of final assets it has only been a couple of days but I’m totally gutted as this is the man I was going to spend the rest of my life with and I can’t even face my kids atm he has been my support and I have been he’s now I’m lost

NikNaki Inertia and demotivated - can't seem to focus on anything

Hi, I'm new here and I need some help to deal with how I am feeling. I have depression and anxiety and it is usually well managed through medication and sessions with my psychologist. I have been struggling with a feeling of inertia - I can't seem to... View more

Hi, I'm new here and I need some help to deal with how I am feeling. I have depression and anxiety and it is usually well managed through medication and sessions with my psychologist. I have been struggling with a feeling of inertia - I can't seem to focus on anything or do anything. I am supposed to be studying, but I am not able to focus on the readings and I am stressing about falling behind. I loved going to the campus, and now that I am at home with my kids and husband I feel that I have no time to myself - and that makes me withdraw. I am struggling with selfcare most days and my mood is very low. I know that I need to have a routine, but I am feeling completely demotivated. How can I get myself back on track?

Junah New and in isolation caring for elderly narcissist
  • replies: 2

Hi. New to this forum but not mental health issues. I've got anxiety and depression regularly but now am having even more trouble coping. I live with husband and son, relationships there pretty good. Also my mother who I am caring for as she's over 8... View more

Hi. New to this forum but not mental health issues. I've got anxiety and depression regularly but now am having even more trouble coping. I live with husband and son, relationships there pretty good. Also my mother who I am caring for as she's over 80s. She is basically a narcissist and also a hermit (I'm the only person she likes, she won't speak much to her grandson and she converses with my husband but everything she wants done has to come through me). She hardly ever leaves the house, and if she does it's always with me. We have always had a difficult relationship. She was an alcoholic when I was growing up and even when not, very neglectful. I'm an only child, she mostly a single mother. We're living in a very small place, taking self isolation very seriously as she has COPD. Only one person to a room, with shared kitchen meals area and 1 bathroom. She contributes financially but barely lifts a finger to help with housework / cooking, and she wants me to guess all her needs (I can but I can't handle the mental load). She has no $, no place else to go. With isolation, I'm really retreating into my shell. I can't talk with anyone on phone or in the house as she will overhear. She disapproves of just about anything I do. I know how to react to her, and I know she's not going to learn, I just can't stop my emotions, I feel awful pretty much all the time. People tell me what to do and what to say to her, but it doesn't stop me from feeling bad. No matter what, I feel bad. I know when my depression is getting worse and it's definitely on its way down right now. My saving grace has always been creating distance between us (we're from another country, she's only lived here 18 or so months). With self isolation I can't do this. My husband moved into the living room and to be honest I don't want him to move back into our room because this little space I have is the only space that's just mine in the world. He wants to but I feel like I can't have anyone penetrtate my shell.

Redcat96 First time in forum
  • replies: 1

Hi there, I haven’t ever written in a forum before but I’m feeling lost where else to turn to. I don’t even know where to begin. I’m just feeling so deflated and lost as I can imagine a lot of people are. I lost my job 2 weeks ago extremely unexpecte... View more

Hi there, I haven’t ever written in a forum before but I’m feeling lost where else to turn to. I don’t even know where to begin. I’m just feeling so deflated and lost as I can imagine a lot of people are. I lost my job 2 weeks ago extremely unexpectedly and it’s taken a massive toll on my mental health. Money has become a really big stress having not savings ect. I have resulted in drinking most nights because otherwise I’m up until 4am just thinking. Currently I am sitting in my bedroom drinking and the last two days have just got to me. I feel like I’m not getting better but getting sucked deeper into depression. I feel as though I can’t speak to my family or friends about this and I feel like I’m the only person not coping through lockdown. Everyone else seems to be doing well and I feel like I’m really struggling. No social interaction is really hard. Does anyone else feel this? Are people just not coping and just not talking about it? I feel lost kind regards, red cat

Decree99 Cabin fever
  • replies: 1

Hi all. New here and a bit lost at the moment. Been struggling with depression for about 15 years - partly on and off (or in denial). Been really bad for the last 3-4 years or so. I am seeing a GP and a shrink, and am on medication. All of which seem... View more

Hi all. New here and a bit lost at the moment. Been struggling with depression for about 15 years - partly on and off (or in denial). Been really bad for the last 3-4 years or so. I am seeing a GP and a shrink, and am on medication. All of which seem to be helping. My biggest problem with at the moment is coronavirus (CV). Over time I've found the following really help me: gym, snowboarding, mountain biking, and kitesurfing. Not sure if it's the adrenaline, or the intensity. But it's the only time I feel human. Clearly I like being outdoors. CV clearly hates me (us). Im going absolutely insane being trapped indoors. I guess I'm fortunate to still have work, and I know others have it far worse, so don't get me wrong. I just can't cope without being very active and outdoors and by the ocean. I don't know how to handle months of this in end. I feel like drowning my sorrows in a bottle of rum just to be numb and pass through time. Chips, chocolates and biscuits are keeping me going, but feeling so sick of eating all that rubbish now. Whats the point of one can't even do solo actiivities. I'm sure I'm being totally irrational at the moment.. Just can't snap out of it. Just to add to the above - im not worried about the virus itself, nor getting it. As strange / stupid as it sounds I think there is a lot of over reaction to it (don't shoot me for that comment), particularly in the younger folk who are less prone or have no underlying illnesses...