Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

gindernomad Newby trying to figure things out
  • replies: 1

Hi All, I'm very new to this have never even contemplated doing anything like this. But the birth of my daughter has made want to do something to improve my mental health. I have had anxiety for around 5 years it all started when I moved jobs there w... View more

Hi All, I'm very new to this have never even contemplated doing anything like this. But the birth of my daughter has made want to do something to improve my mental health. I have had anxiety for around 5 years it all started when I moved jobs there were 2 individuals who made it their goal in life to makes others feel like they are useless and incompetent. to start with i was having severe panic attacks and my wife had to come and collect me from work on a couple of occassions. i honestly thought i was having a heart attack. i went to the doctor after about 12 months and was put on medication this took a while but eventually the panic attacks stopped being so severe and i learnt to talk myself out of them. however over the last year i have found myself having new anxieties. these are weird i cant put my finger on what causes them, one day i can doing something like go to the shops and i am totally fine, and the next i cant focus on anything and feel super dizzy like i am going to pass out. I can run a meeting with important government officials and have no problem at all, but sitting in an interviewing 1 person will cause this same dizziness. i guess my question is has anyone else experienced dizziness like this and do you have any tips of how to deal with it. Thanks in advance

tee_tee relationship and anxiety
  • replies: 1

i tend to worry about things that are out of my control and I'm going through a rough patch at the moment with family. i feel like my thoughts have control over me and that they are affecting the way I fell towards my boyfriend. we have been together... View more

i tend to worry about things that are out of my control and I'm going through a rough patch at the moment with family. i feel like my thoughts have control over me and that they are affecting the way I fell towards my boyfriend. we have been together for over a year and I m having constant feelings of doubt and not loving him because I sometimes feel like I put more effort. i just want to feel like. i have control over my mind and feelings and I feel emotionally blocked and I just want thatbrain fog to clear and im unsure how to. i speak to my counsellor and parents and my boyfriend but still don't feel any better. if anyone has any tips of advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Looney Tunes53x Thinking irrationally
  • replies: 16

Hi all. Have been here before but not for a long time. Have been on medication for many years, I go downhill very quickly usually to not being able to put coping strategies in place in time. There’s always a trigger but it’s not always the same thing... View more

Hi all. Have been here before but not for a long time. Have been on medication for many years, I go downhill very quickly usually to not being able to put coping strategies in place in time. There’s always a trigger but it’s not always the same thing. Usually though it’s due to family issues etc which I cant help but dwell on. I’d love to learn how to stop dwelling on things that don’t exist but drive me (and my family) loopy at times. Tips please. 🙆‍

earlgreytea Hi there, I'm Tea, and I need help with my recent depressive episode
  • replies: 6

Hi everyone! I don't want to share my real name, but you guys can call me Tea I'm currently in my final year of high school and nearly 18. I'm aiming to be a language teacher. I enjoy music, food, anime and all things cozy. I have lots of hobbies and... View more

Hi everyone! I don't want to share my real name, but you guys can call me Tea I'm currently in my final year of high school and nearly 18. I'm aiming to be a language teacher. I enjoy music, food, anime and all things cozy. I have lots of hobbies and interests, but I lost my passion and motivation for a lot of them years ago. I've come to this community in hopes of finding and offering support and advice. I look forward to interacting with everyone! For this post, I'll highlight the key points as a kind of TLDR. A bit of background... I hit rock bottom in 2017, and although I've grown so much since, I still experience a few mental health issues. I went to a few counselling sessions during this time (about four 30-min sessions?), but my father suddenly decided to stop taking me; he didn't give me notice or tell me why, I simply stopped attending, but I believe my father saw improvement and assumed that I didn't need it anymore. Now, I generally struggle to be content for more than a week or verbally communicate my emotions. I also experience sudden (and perhaps seasonal?) depressive episodes, during which I'm very emotionally unavailable and low functional. I manage to hide these episodes from everyone except my s.o as it really strains my romantic relationship. I'd love to go back to counselling, but I've never had the courage to reveal to my parents that my depression was never really 'cured'. Anyway, my first depressive episode of this year started recently, but I can't afford to go through this, as I'm in the midst of my HSC and really want to do well. Even counselling feels like a waste of time, even if I were to work up the courage to ask my parents. Does anyone have any advice to offer me to get through this school year, study hard and manage my mental health? Thank you all in advance, for even just skimming through this introduction/first post. Sending you all buckets of hope, positivity and strength

Tdog 1:00am thoughts.
  • replies: 4

New here so I’m not really sure if I’m doing this right aha. it seems that most nights when I’m up late I get kinda sad for no reason. I just kinda feel numb and I start to question everything in my life. I’ve even seen memes about this feeling peopl... View more

New here so I’m not really sure if I’m doing this right aha. it seems that most nights when I’m up late I get kinda sad for no reason. I just kinda feel numb and I start to question everything in my life. I’ve even seen memes about this feeling people experience at night. I’m definitely not the only one who goes through this. I’m usually fine during the day also. Anyone else get this or know why it happens?

Smiles4eva4 Needing someone to talk to
  • replies: 3

Hi, I’m a single mum to 4 kids and also work life is hectic, just recently have been getting anxiety/panic attacks making it hard to do daily tasks and sleep. I will be booking in to see my gp Monday but in the mean time would love someone to talk to... View more

Hi, I’m a single mum to 4 kids and also work life is hectic, just recently have been getting anxiety/panic attacks making it hard to do daily tasks and sleep. I will be booking in to see my gp Monday but in the mean time would love someone to talk to. thank you x

Leads Lonely ,depressed

Hi, I live in Queensland, in one of the most boring of cities, but beautiful at the same time. I am a 42 year old female living on their own. I have many issues as to why Im not moving forward properly in life and have many regrets that have lead me ... View more

Hi, I live in Queensland, in one of the most boring of cities, but beautiful at the same time. I am a 42 year old female living on their own. I have many issues as to why Im not moving forward properly in life and have many regrets that have lead me to be more depressed today. I am tired of trying and hate the hot weather here. I am over it. Sick of being lonely and on my own.

NadiaZ New member, Hi there! Feeling overwhelmed.

First time here and glad I found a platform to talk things out so thanks to all in advance. the last year has been pretty hectic as for so many, Last year I was Managing a large group of staff 70+ generally in a fast paced and demanding environment b... View more

First time here and glad I found a platform to talk things out so thanks to all in advance. the last year has been pretty hectic as for so many, Last year I was Managing a large group of staff 70+ generally in a fast paced and demanding environment but through COVID in Vic was something else it really took its toll it was emotionally and mentally exhausting the level of emotional support the team required and company expectation not to mention the unreasonable and horrible customers was nothing I ever experienced and it was relentless. In October I was fortunate enough to get a new job in the same company but in a position I was always interested in but wasn’t a possibility but luck would have it a position became available and comes with less stress, slower paced and all the perks. This new role has ALOT of autonomy and my manager and co workers are in Different states and I have been working from home it has honestly been horrible I can’t seem to adjust to having so much autonomy and not having the strict structure and crazy pace that drives your day that I’m used to. The biggest struggle being at home all the time this will change in April, I have no motivation to leave the house going to the supermarket will guarantee a panic attack and I find myself sadly finding excuses to cancel plans to stay home. I have become worryingly self conscious and feel generally down, tired all the time and everything feels like a mountainous an effort. Leaving the house to just visit a friend or see family will have me in a state that results me being in a frustrated annoyed manner, not so fun. My Husband is extremely supportive but struggles with how to help me as it’s not something he can fix for me and tends to get down as he can’t understand why I feel the way I do. we have so much positive going on but I struggle to be my usual upbeat and generally positive self and I’m just so sensitive and overly emotional majority of the time. I feel truely depleted and every day is fight to get out of bed and not to mention the internal fight that I feel I’m being ridiculous and I need to get together already!

Rin_Nai Hi there!

Hi everyone my screen name is Nai (or RinNai) and I thought I might join this and talk to people with lived experience with being on the Autism spectrum, having depression and anxiety and some others that I have not yet been diagnosed for. I am also ... View more

Hi everyone my screen name is Nai (or RinNai) and I thought I might join this and talk to people with lived experience with being on the Autism spectrum, having depression and anxiety and some others that I have not yet been diagnosed for. I am also passionate about helping others with their mental health as well.

Arabesque Hello
  • replies: 6

Hello everyone. I have just joined the forum. I have been living with PTSD, anxiety disorders, and depression for a while. I have had mixed success with counsellors, and a recent disappointing experience with my current one has probably been the impe... View more

Hello everyone. I have just joined the forum. I have been living with PTSD, anxiety disorders, and depression for a while. I have had mixed success with counsellors, and a recent disappointing experience with my current one has probably been the impetus to come here. I feel the need to connect with a forum where I can feel safe and supported, with understanding and without platitudes!