Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Dr_OBS Help me please
  • replies: 8

Hi everyone. I hope you guys are doing well and are safe and healthy. I recently finished uni and came back to Australia and I have to leave the country again for work purposes. I have always been close to my parents, especially my dad. This year I l... View more

Hi everyone. I hope you guys are doing well and are safe and healthy. I recently finished uni and came back to Australia and I have to leave the country again for work purposes. I have always been close to my parents, especially my dad. This year I lost my best friend and it made things really difficult emotionally. I now have this sort of death fear. Not for myself, but that it’ll strike someone in my family. Please don’t tell me that it takes everyone, I now that. I just want to stop being convinced that it’s coming for my loved ones soon. It gives me so much anxiety and I don’t know why it keeps happening. It gets triggered whenever someone passes away in an untimely manner. I want to die sometimes just to shut the voices up. I don’t know what to do and I haven’t got the resources to see a counsellor at present. Do you guys have any coping mechanisms that might help?

Trence999 Where to start
  • replies: 2

Hi all. I am a newbie, recently diagnosed with depression. It was a bit of a shock as I felt I was doing ok. It was the advice of workmates and family that convinvced me to see someone. Working through things now I realise some things I could not see... View more

Hi all. I am a newbie, recently diagnosed with depression. It was a bit of a shock as I felt I was doing ok. It was the advice of workmates and family that convinvced me to see someone. Working through things now I realise some things I could not see. Hopefully good things to come.

Zovy Are you in poverty?
  • replies: 3

My mental illness left me in poverty. Has anyone else experienced this?

My mental illness left me in poverty. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sophie_M Monthly Forums Update: Reflecting back on April
  • replies: 0

Hi All, We appreciate everyone who has made their way to the forums over the last month. We’d like to acknowledge members of the forums community who may be experiencing challenges with supporting family overseas who may still be greatly impacted by ... View more

Hi All, We appreciate everyone who has made their way to the forums over the last month. We’d like to acknowledge members of the forums community who may be experiencing challenges with supporting family overseas who may still be greatly impacted by the coronavirus pandemic. For resources and support during this time, please remember the Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service is available. You may also find articles such as How to support overseas friends and family dealing with COVID to be helpful. Community Voices: What are people talking about? Managing Anxiety/ Panic Attacks Recently, my body has felt so out of tune... I've been getting heart palpitations, shortness of breath and every physical symptom you can think of...They happen pretty much everyday even when I'm not having a panic attack. Every morning I wake up I am anxious and hopeless. - bitter_biscuit (Read more here) i started a new job 2 months ago working in clinical trials. I thought I would feel less burnt out and anxious in this area but it’s worse. I wasn’t given much training or support when I first started in this role, have spoken to my boss about my concerns and not much has changed. My anxiety is awful and I am experiencing panic attacks on a regular basis. I dread work every day and I feel stressed about work on the weekends. - Sunshine188 (Read more here) Those close to me don't see what a painful place I am in or tell me to get over it. Not helpful, only makes me feel worse, because I think I should be able to cope and feel more isolated. I've had some major panic attacks and sleep anxiety which I have never had before. I just want to know that eventually it will be better, but can't see how. I have awful thoughts. - GoannaLost (Read more here) How to help someone who doesn’t acknowledge that they are struggling It's obvious to me and people around us that my husband is struggling emotionally. He seems to have checked out from our family (with me and two young children) and is critical all the time. He doesn't have any friends and doesn't even try. When we go out as a family to events, it's always just our children and I and I have to make excuses for him constantly. He is critical at home and most days even the slightest thing sets him off. - Unsure123 (Read more here) We don't know what to do. We've said he can come back home on the condition he gets help because we can't keep living like this. He doesn't seem to see he has any problems. He's driven away a lot of his friends which to us is a red flag on his behaviour and attitude and it not just being us that sees there's a problem. - LilyChicken (Read more here) The stress of this investigation is pushing him to the limit. It has been ongoing for some months, and has been hugely stressful for both of us. ... I think it possible that he has BPD, but at the very least severe depression. He resists any treatment, and resents me suggesting it, says I gaslight him. I persuaded him to get a psychology referral, but he has to wait months for an appointment. - Qwerty14 (Read more here) Managing parent expectations I am about to finish high school, 6 months left and my parents want me to become an accountant and continue their accounting business. They say I am very gifted for math, good with computers and that I should apply those skills to help take the family business to the next level, what they do not understand that is I dread every moment when I do the things I am good at. - EntangledWithU (Read more here) ....guess i also feel pressured in this way to do well because of my family history of such good professions, and if i were to do terrible and get a bad atar, i would be a misfit which would cause a lot of gossip between my family friends... i dont feel ANY happiness or hope about the future when i study. i feel nothing. sometimes i would just freeze up, stare at my work and cry because i didnt want to do this. im doing this to make my parents happy. - kiwi5678 (Read more here) I hate the feeling of failing and I think I have such high expectations of myself and I feel like my dad (who I live with) only cares about my marks and not about if im my actually enjoying uni - whenever family asks how uni is going and I say yeah it’s alright my dad is quick to jump in and tell them my marks (because I did good last year). I would love any tips on how to deal with this overwhelming sensation of feeling sad when I get a bad mark of feel discouraged. - Lalatheloopyone (Read more here) Life Member Award We’d like to congratulate smallwolf who was presented with the Life Membership badge in April for serving as a Community Champion peer support volunteer on the forums for over three years. Thank you for continuing to share your own lived experience to empower and support other community members! Valued Contributor Award Our Valued Contributor for the month of April is S D! S D has been nominated for approaching conversations with a great deal of empathy while reflecting on their own lived experience to support others while often sharing helpful coping strategies/ways to stay well. Thank you for being a friendly member within the community S D! To read more about what a Valued Contributor is and how you can nominate a fellow community member, please refer to our thread Nominate a Valued Contributor here: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support BB News/Resources Coach Craig, our resident Mental Health Clinician is now available on the forums to support members with questions around treatments, health professionals and therapies. If you haven’t already feel free to check out Coach’s thread here! If you’re currently experiencing suicidal thoughts, feelings, distress or crisis another resource to turn to is the Beyond now suicide safety planning app. To read more about this resource check out our webpage here. For more immediate support, please feel free to connect with a professional mental health counsellor at our Support Service on 1300 22 4636 or at https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/get-immediate-support for online chat (1pm-12am AEST) & email (responses within 24 hours).

Loligiggles Introduction

Hey, I'm just introducing myself. I'm here to hopefully get myself back on track, as there's been a lot of stuff going on and it's kinda complicated (I'm planning on making a seperate thread for it where it's appropriate)

Hey, I'm just introducing myself. I'm here to hopefully get myself back on track, as there's been a lot of stuff going on and it's kinda complicated (I'm planning on making a seperate thread for it where it's appropriate)

Nicebuthated The curse i carry

Gday all This is a first for me to reach out but not expecting a reply to be honest. A quick intro i am a kind soul person who try's to help when i can and doing so i have lived a life of getting put down, hated, bulling and on a lot of occasions dea... View more

Gday all This is a first for me to reach out but not expecting a reply to be honest. A quick intro i am a kind soul person who try's to help when i can and doing so i have lived a life of getting put down, hated, bulling and on a lot of occasions death threats against me. I had what i thought where mates but learnt after they got everything they needed and wanted out of me i was tossed aside, I have endured this for over 30 years just taking it and smiling it off while burning on the inside. I have asked 100's of women out just to be shot down instantly cause I'm not 6ft and built like a body builder, so i just gave up asking. Even with my work being a meter reader i put up daily with people in my face trying to push my buttons but i don't have a aggressive bone in my body so it just angers them more when i don't react or mouth back. When i was in a dark place years ago know one cared or would help tried to tell people and got ignored, family included it took all my strength to pull a knife away from my throat but i pulled through just to endure the cycle of the hate against me all over again. This is my curse and its starting to really put a lot of weight on me now all i want is someone to understand is all. If you got this far thanks for reading.

motivation Being tested weekly

Hi I've just joined the forum. Not sure how to begin this or if what I am doing is right or crazy. I'm looking for advice on where to go next, what to do next. I guess I don't want to go in to detail, because I feel uncomfortable revealing someone el... View more

Hi I've just joined the forum. Not sure how to begin this or if what I am doing is right or crazy. I'm looking for advice on where to go next, what to do next. I guess I don't want to go in to detail, because I feel uncomfortable revealing someone else's personal story. However my wife is definitely dealing with issues which I feel fall under a category of not being able to handle rage. Rage is also sometimes very sudden and at a level which seems unbelievably out of control. Nothing I can say or do will help her to return to any state of calm. When she is in a state of calm she has suggested things that would "help next time" She has threatened me with a knife recently and I felt afraid for my life. She has at other times done things which I feel very uncomfortable about which involve waking up our sleeping daughter so that I would have to go and look after her while she cries. When she is in a rage she yells and swears vitriolically with my daughter in the room. I have learnt about myself that I am exceptionally good at handling angry people. Something I need to do for work quite often. If anything this has strengthened my ability to handle this part of my job. But because I am receiving this abuse consistently it is wearing me down in every other way. I only seek to make her life better and she is normally happy for a week. But once, almost without fail , per every weekend she explodes in a fit of rage. The source of the rage is always new, something else that can't be prepared for. I feel that this is a little unfair sometimes as I work very hard, keeping the house clean in an uphill battle against 3 super-mess-makers. My daughter, my wife and my small dog who all seem to keep me continuously working when I am at home. I do that all without thanks. When we first began our relationship my wife and I made a bargain that I would clean (as she is very messy) and she would cook (as I am 100% completely devoid of cooking ability). However the amount of cleaning has grown as we have grown. The places we have lived have gotten bigger and the size our family has grown with introduction of our daughter and dog. However my wife has reduced her cooking to maybe once or twice a week. Sometimes cooking for my daughter. But now mostly microwaving kids (they're healthy) frozen meals for daughter, sometimes resorting to takeaway. At which I don't judge but am constantly receiving judging and attacks. I need to know where to go next as talking is just not working.

Yeah_ Ready to give up

I’m ready to give up, but I’m holding on so tight for my kids. I’m a single mum with extremely horrible depression and anxiety, my anxiety stops me from seeing a doctor to help with my mental health. it’s getting harder every single day because I fee... View more

I’m ready to give up, but I’m holding on so tight for my kids. I’m a single mum with extremely horrible depression and anxiety, my anxiety stops me from seeing a doctor to help with my mental health. it’s getting harder every single day because I feel like if I tell someone about my mental health, then they will judge me. I know that they won’t but that is what I think! I feel like they will think I’m over exaggerating ,because I’ve had doctors look at me like I’m just being dramatic. sometimes I just wish that They could feel the pain that I’m feeling. every single day it gets harder but nobody knows how I feel inside because I know how to hide it really well But i’m afraid if I keep everything inside for much longer that I’m just going to explode I feel like I’m going crazy.

kiwi5678 parents expectations + school

hey guys just a brief description about me- im in year 12, 17 years old and a pakistani female. ive lived in australia for nearly my whole life. i just joined this in hopes that it would make me a tad bit better, especially since i get very nervous w... View more

hey guys just a brief description about me- im in year 12, 17 years old and a pakistani female. ive lived in australia for nearly my whole life. i just joined this in hopes that it would make me a tad bit better, especially since i get very nervous when i talk face to face about my problems. ive been having issues with prioritising myself over others and whenever i feel like i care too much about the other person, i end up getting too hurt way quickly. whenever i tell this to my mum she always tells me to keep my chin up high and focus on myself but no matter how much i try i cant. ive been too involved within meeting societies expectations, that i feel that i have caused my friends and family to further develop more expectations to do well in my relationship with them and in studies (when it comes to parents). i try to do well at school, but i end up disappointing myself and my family with scores averaging 50-60% considering the fact that they are doctors and engineers. i guess i also feel pressured in this way to do well because of my family history of such good professions, and if i were to do terrible and get a bad atar, i would be a misfit which would cause a lot of gossip between my family friends (eg "look at her, her parents kept telling us she was going to do engineering but look how she embarrased them, what a shame etc"). it just feels so wrong for me to do the subjects that im doing now because in the back of my head, all im thinking about is what people will think and that im only doing these vce subjects for the people around me, not myself. i dont feel ANY happiness or hope about the future when i study. i feel nothing. numb. sometimes i would just freeze up, stare at my work and cry because i didnt want to do this. im doing this to make my parents happy. dont get me wrong- i love them i really do. but it hurts knowing that its too late to tell them how i feel about this since im already in year 12. i guess in the end, whatever happens, happens. i just want them to understand that my wellbeing is more important than an atar which will only matter for 2 years. ok- this kind of helped me to articulate what im feeling right now and i hope you guys understand where im coming from, i hope it wasnt too confusing. if it was hard to understand, its totally fine, at least i found a way to share my problems. thanks. all love.