Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Justwanttobehappy30 Hi
  • replies: 4

Hey, So im new to this kind of stuff. I am feeling alone and feel like i have no one to talk to or to even just say what's on my mind. Im newly married and it feels like since we have been married its been a downward spiral and not happy and loving l... View more

Hey, So im new to this kind of stuff. I am feeling alone and feel like i have no one to talk to or to even just say what's on my mind. Im newly married and it feels like since we have been married its been a downward spiral and not happy and loving life, could be something to do with his constant headaches however i feel so disconnected from him. He talks to anyone and everyone else but me. I guess i thought id try this out first and hopefully find some comfort and ideas on how to work through my own head. Cheers

pancakes7 Lockdown / isolation / university assessments
  • replies: 1

I'm studying at the moment but I'm stuck in Melbourne lockdown. I failed a double credit point unit last year in stage for lockdown and repeating it now. Before this fourth lockdown, I was going into the university library and local libraries because... View more

I'm studying at the moment but I'm stuck in Melbourne lockdown. I failed a double credit point unit last year in stage for lockdown and repeating it now. Before this fourth lockdown, I was going into the university library and local libraries because I hate being stuck at home thanks to last year's covid restrictions. It's traumatic being confined to a room for so long, I feel sorry for people in prisons or animals limited to small areas. I leave the house to grab a coffee daily just to interact and be surrounded by people. I'm scared of failing the unit again. My university mental health consultations are all booked out until late June. I feel so helpless in these circumstances.

Df58pink Loss of Son
  • replies: 3

My son was diagnosed with leukaemia and passed away 2 weeks later the pain is unbearable and not sure how to continue without him he was a wonderful son worked hard his whole life he was 41 my heart is so heavy with grief and pain I’m not sure how it... View more

My son was diagnosed with leukaemia and passed away 2 weeks later the pain is unbearable and not sure how to continue without him he was a wonderful son worked hard his whole life he was 41 my heart is so heavy with grief and pain I’m not sure how it hasn’t stopped. He didn’t even have a chance to fight this disease it’s so unfair he deserved a full life his children and wife are so devastated and lonely without this beautiful father and husband and his only brother is broken hearted how do I help everyone including my grieving husband who is so depressed when I can’t cope with this terrible loss I miss him so much it’s unbearable.

OSAMay Depression and the link with Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)
  • replies: 4

Hello everyone, I have had depression and anxiety for over 30 years since my 20s and I have always been a bit tired. However for the past at least four years I have been absolutely exhausted, anger turning to rage, irritable, forgetful etc, so bad I ... View more

Hello everyone, I have had depression and anxiety for over 30 years since my 20s and I have always been a bit tired. However for the past at least four years I have been absolutely exhausted, anger turning to rage, irritable, forgetful etc, so bad I couldn't keep a job anymore. My doctor and other doctors (as I have tried to get second opinions) said it was all part of depression, and menopause and some stressful situations in my life. My circadian rhythm has been out of whack for years and I often can't sleep and night and sleep all day. I put on 25 kgs and hardly left the house and was beginning to think I had early on-set Dementia because I was forgetting things, I was scared, felt lazy, and a waste of space. I thought this is no life, I'm going mad! What I realise is that I was depressed ALL THE TIME, I was depressed because I wasn't getting a proper night's sleep because when I did get a good few hours sleep I felt great the next day, which would happen maybe once a fortnight if I was lucky. So I started to do a bit of research, thought of my family medical history, and talked to my family and what we realised is that my snoring had become much worse in the last 2 years (my daughters had not seen me for 2 years because of co-vid). So I decided I might have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I went to my doctor who referred me to a Sleep Clinic, I did an overnight test and VOILA!! I have Severe OSA which means my airway gets blocked and my heart and brain have to get me breathing again. To cut a long story short, it means I haven't been getting a proper sleep for years, and I could have had a stroke or heart attack anytime. My research tells me that people who are diagnosed with Depression may also have OSA especially if you snore, and if treated may improve the depression. I don't deny that I have depression, and all that comes with it, however the OSA was not diagnosed because my doctor kept saying it my tiredness was because of depression. So please, please, please if you snore especially get checked for OSA, it may help.

anthony55 the ocean

If you can get into the surf and swim or any activity in the ocean, I find really lifts my mood. thanks

If you can get into the surf and swim or any activity in the ocean, I find really lifts my mood. thanks

RonnieM New Member - DV worker
  • replies: 5

Hi all, Member of Qld Police 1983-2017. Now a Support Worker for people affected by Domestic and Family Violence in the North Burnett Region of Qld (Since March 2017). Had a brief encounter with PTSD and still have some effect from it. Retired early ... View more

Hi all, Member of Qld Police 1983-2017. Now a Support Worker for people affected by Domestic and Family Violence in the North Burnett Region of Qld (Since March 2017). Had a brief encounter with PTSD and still have some effect from it. Retired early due to the pressures of Solo Policing in a regional town. Back on track and happy to chat to anybody in the same boat (Even if we do have separate oars). Ron

AG194 Alone and unsure
  • replies: 2

I’ve moved to a new town, back in with the parents after finish uni Looking for work using my degree for 6 months now and nothing but knock backs tried Getting into sports clubs but don’t have any friends yet spending days alone, feeling lonely in cr... View more

I’ve moved to a new town, back in with the parents after finish uni Looking for work using my degree for 6 months now and nothing but knock backs tried Getting into sports clubs but don’t have any friends yet spending days alone, feeling lonely in crowded rooms my Only friend here is my dad, which makes me feel pathetic I don’t know what to do

Racheey Family violence & Covid lockdown with 3 high needs/disabled kids at home

I’m feeling very sad. I made Hubby leave and called the police the other day as he was violent for like the millionth time. I promised my son no more & have been coping ok. Tonight though I can’t sleep & I was overwhelmed with sudden extreme sadness ... View more

I’m feeling very sad. I made Hubby leave and called the police the other day as he was violent for like the millionth time. I promised my son no more & have been coping ok. Tonight though I can’t sleep & I was overwhelmed with sudden extreme sadness & I miss my husband

butterface hey i guess

im new.. uh. yeah im not sure why im here but anxiety woo

im new.. uh. yeah im not sure why im here but anxiety woo

Hope91 Hi

I'm new to this, I think I might need help I'm pretty sure I have depression , I sleep a lot,blame myself for things that are not my fault I've lost a lot of weight also can't find myself hungry

I'm new to this, I think I might need help I'm pretty sure I have depression , I sleep a lot,blame myself for things that are not my fault I've lost a lot of weight also can't find myself hungry