FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anyone else hate this country due to authoritarianism and anti-intellectual culture?

Isaac98
Community Member
I know this is a weird question on a mental health organisation, but I have nowhere to turn since I'm pretty lonely due to my cultural differences. I can't even trust almost any Australian person, I only have American friends aside from one neighbour in real life and I always feel so bitter without much of an outlet.
20 Replies 20

TheBigBlue
Community Member

The short answer to your question (thread title):

No.

I absolutely love this country. I was born here but have mixed Eastern European heritage. My dad & his family all came from Europe.
My aunt married an Italian, my sister a Greek, my other sister an Englishman & I’m dating a Sri Lankan.

I love when we all get together because it’s such an eclectic mix of people but we are ALL accepted as family. We eat each other’s dishes, our parents all had similar immigration stories & challenges growing up here.

But to me, having such a mixed background is what makes us all uniquely Australian.

Did you grow up in Australia or overseas? I’m just wondering if moving here & experiencing different laws (such as our gun laws) was a bit of a hard reality if you hadn’t grown up here? Side note, I think you can get a gun licence or join a club but I have no idea what the regulations are for that.

I hope things can improve & you can expand your circle of friends to include people who you can find trustful. From my experience Aussies love BBQ’s, sports, beer & beaches. Getting involved in any of the above in any form may help.