FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anyone else hate this country due to authoritarianism and anti-intellectual culture?

Isaac98
Community Member
I know this is a weird question on a mental health organisation, but I have nowhere to turn since I'm pretty lonely due to my cultural differences. I can't even trust almost any Australian person, I only have American friends aside from one neighbour in real life and I always feel so bitter without much of an outlet.
20 Replies 20

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi, welcome

It is a weird question and imo not really appropriate. Having said that it could also be seen as provocative.

See, I love this country, every little bit. In terms of authoritarian, well we can only compare it to other countries and we are more free than most if not all.

As for politics my solution is to let them do their thing and get on with life.

Anti intellect?, a leading statement perhaps because for a nation of only 25 million our inventions are extraordinary- aircraft black boxes, medical remedies that leave other countries in its wake and many more.

If you feel ostracized due to cultural differences then I'd say you've met the wrong people. I'm 5th generation, maybe 6th and our diversity is embraced by me and my friends. I suggest you try multiple clubs, sports, hobbies because most Aussies, (of which you are one) don't care what country of origin you are.

Having a positive attitude is the key
TonyWK

How it is it provocative? I'm looking for any Australians who understand my problem, not trying to raise conflict. We have a lot of tall-poppy syndrome in conjunction with hatred of all American people in a simplistic manner when they have many complex cultures, and that our economy sucks for business so a lot of Australian inventors and such move to America since it has a much better economy for it. I can list those things on and on but I don't need to. With being ostracised, I am ostracised because I cannot get into my guns passion due to the law along with the Coronavirus measures destroying people's mental health including mine when the lockdown was in place!

Actually.. I forgot to mention that why should I let our society do our own thing when they don't do the same for me? Seriously? I'm not being bossed around at all.

Not_Batman
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Isaac98

coronavirus is a particularly challenging thing, and we are all being affected by it. Not only in this country, but globally. It is unfortunate that it has led to what we ate all currently feeling. There are a lot of resources for coping with corona virus.

as for strict gun laws, there is a very good (well very bad in fact) reason that we observe that. Im a farmer so might need a firearm, but also have a mental illness which thankfully prohibits me from getting a license. Im ok with that. Like it or not, it is what it is. In my opinion people and guns dont mix.

The politics in this country is a bit silly at times, has been since 1901, but having compulsory voting allows everyone a say. Like TonyWK said, let them do their thing and get on with living. TonyWK also offers a good insight, perhaps you are meeting to wrong people who make you feel ostracised.

I value your opinion on the subjects though.

Not_Batman

Although our gun control hasn't done anything to violent crime rates and that we can be safe from the virus without oppressing people, its okay you think different. You seem to at least somewhat care which I can appreciate. With resources for mental health and Coronavirus, all that would help for me is getting away from this country whenever I can since it'd only help if I was conformist which I'm not.

So let's tackle your mental illness issues and/or social issues which is relevant to this site.

You said you're lonely, what organisations have you tried to integrate into? Do you have hobbies, sports etc. Are you inner city regional or rural? What country has your family originate? We do have a multicultural representative here also that can help.

I ask that we all steer clear if the subject of firearms on this site for obvious reasons.

Hope to hear from you.

TonyWK

Sorry, but I'll talk about this tomorrow or something since I'm rather tired and not feeling too well. I guess you may be actually trying to help me White Knight, although I feel quite skeptical of you still due to being positively biased for this country but I realise you're not much of a threat likely but goodnight.

eight
Community Member
isn't the government pretty bent rn on their uni cuts and price hikes. all i see now is a new wave of faculty at these universities getting laid off in anticipation of the policies. no tertiary education anymore its just job factories if you're not rich enough to do humanities. its very convincing to me this is good when i watch cops slam uni students who aren't happy about the bills half those pigs' weights to the concrete theres a big anti-intellectualism issue but when our government seems fixated on keeping True Aussie Blue, wonder whats left over lol

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Isaac

I am glad you are free to write your opinions and I respect your right to them.

I like hearing different views.
I hope you are feeling a bit better today.
I have friends who I am culturally different from but we respect each other’s differences.

I am sorry you feel lonely and ostracised.