FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety

Joanne1
Community Member

Good morning,

i suffer from general anxiety. At times it has been so debilitating we have had to change family plans and cancel. Have you ever felt your anxiety has let others down & does it get you down?

i felt a tad down today because my anxiety is affecting my family.

5 Replies 5

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Joanne

Absolutely! I have a lot of guilt over this, which I have had to learn to come to terms with. My ex used to say "would you feel bad if you couldn't throw a ball because your arm was broken?". The answer of course is no. So if you think of it like that, we shouldn't feel guilty because our illness stops us from being able to do some things.

Are you getting some help for your mental health? I regularly see a gp and a psychologist to help me deal with my anxiety.

Kind thoughts, Katy

Lets_try
Community Member
I cancel plans all the time and feel guilty but I am not sure if it is actually anxiety I just do not want to see anyone for unknown reasons. Is it like that for you or you actually fear being around people?

Guest_2287
Community Member

Hi

I have booked holidays then had to cancel because my anxiety got the better of me. I feel in hindsight that this is avoidance of a difficult situation and I may have been better forcing myself to go instead and work through the obstacles but it is debilitating as you said. I have tried to limit plans to situations that I know I could handle without too much distress but still challenge me a bit otherwise I will just retreat back into doing nothing and always "playing it safe". It is a disease and yes it does affect other family members but so would any illness.

Good Luck

calmseeker
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

I experience this guilt also. One example is that for years I would have panic whilst eating, I would feel weird and sweaty and my heart would race and I would just have to leave a meal and lie down or go out into the fresh air. I could never get to the bottom of it, professionals mention growth hormone secretion while eating , digestive issues amongst other things. Point is eating out became nearly impossible, and it was something my partner and I liked to do. The poor guy would either have to eat alone while I went outside or leave the café/restaurant completely. I would feel intense guilt on the trip home for wrecking the experience and wasting money. Happy to say that particular stage of my anxiety has passed now, not sure why but I am thankful. I too avoid some social plans and avoid certain situations, its on ongoing thing I am working on with psychologist. Wishing you the best outcome with these issues Joanne 🙂

Happy_Daz
Community Member

Good Afternoon

I hope your feeling better today.

i also suffer from Anxiety & Panic Attacks on most days.

My Doctor has put me on medication which takes the edge off but I feel I need to see a Psychiatrist.

I have suffered from Anxiety for over 10 years.