FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and Heartburn/reflux

Kylie20
Community Member

Hi guys, I am a first time poster.

I have suffered anxiety and certain times in my life usually around outside events eg: job changes, relationships etc but have always managed to control it and bring myself back to the ‘now’

The last two months it has been quite extreme anxiety everyday regarding my health. As a lot of the other threads it taking something small and usually a sensation that goes unnoticed and turning it into something massive. Being that it’s something within my body I am finding it hard to bring myself back to the ‘now’

I have noticed that the last few days I have had bad reflux/heartburn to the point of my throat being irritated and burning chest. Last night I woke up in a panic. My mind tells me that the anxiety came first and that it can wreak havoc on your body and it wasn’t the other way around. Just wondering if it is a symptom that anyone else has experienced?

I will try a good anti acid today and am thinking it’s time to find another GP (they tend to brush off anything when you mention anxiety) and express how I am feeling, my symptoms and a referral to a psychologist. Also off to see a spiritual healer for some reiki/reading to see if she can shed some light on what is going on.

Just looking for some reassurance that everything I am experiencing is normal.

Thank you to all of you.

4 Replies 4

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Kylie, can I welcome you to the forums, and I'm firstly sorry for how you are feeling and my doctor asked me about what was happening and whether I was anxious so I said.

I know what this acid/reflux feels like, it's awful, so my doctor prescribed some medication which certainly stopped this, especially at night time, plus you can buy a liquid from your pharmacy which I also use, so yes it does happen, unfortunately.

Anxiety can have a variety of different causes when a person becomes anxious, stressed, frightened, that cause you to worry, become nervous, and anxious for what seems like no reason.

If your doctor doesn't appreciate your condition then it maybe a good reason to change doctors who can then refer you onto a psychologist, and please ask them about the mental health plan, which entitles you to 10 Medicare paid sessions per year.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

_Captain_
Community Member

Hi Kylie

How did you end up going with this? My anxiety peaked about 3 months ago, and I ended up with Acid reflux symptoms about a month ago, which I believe are linked. Ive been to the docs when it started and have the antacids, not sure it’s working though. So hard to know if it’s gerd or anxiety or a mixture! Just curious how your experience ended up.

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Kylie20

With you mentioning Reiki and the reading, I'm assuming you're perhaps an interested devotee of things mind/body/spirit. We're definitely packed with a lot of physical and mental energy in motion (emotion), which connects us to the energy of life around us.

There is so much research being done these days into diet and mental health. High vibrational foods, such as natural or earthy foods are being proven to have a positive impact on our gut microbiome which can go on to impact the chemistry needed for mental well-being. This is a truly revolutionary and exciting approach to mental health, definitely worth looking into. The Mediterranean Diet is producing some amazing results. Also, whether we're spiritualists or quantum physicists, there is recognition that everything in us and outside of us works or vibrates at a particular frequency, therefor how often we eat, why we eat and especially what we eat impacts that energy inside of us. Low vibrational/frequency foods are typically processed foods. Low frequency foods can produce dis-ease in a variety of ways, mentally and physically.

It would be interesting to get the Reiki healer's take on the diet and energy relationship in anxiety. Of course, they're all about 'energy'. Perhaps they could recommend someone who works in the field of diet and energy.

With you covering all angles of self and that important triad of mind/body/spirit, I cannot recommend highly enough a book I love called 'Becoming Supernatural' by Joe Dispenza. He explains the energetic connection of all 3 aspects in such an incredibly enlightening way. He takes the MBS connection and approaches it from a neuroscience/epigenetics/quantum physics angle. it is a basic and easily relatable translation. The guy is a master in the way of simplification, education and empowerment.

Anyhow, I hope things go well with your visit and you receive the enlightenment and healing you're seeking. I actually visited a spiritual life coach a few months back and he made a massive difference. Incorporating all aspects of self into our healing is a deeply empowering approach.

Take care

Kylie20
Community Member

OMG I stumbled across my own post on a google search. I am still suffering from reflux. I have basically had my life crumble around me and moved home closer to the family. Doctors have no idea. My anxiety has subsided which makes me think that it is as a cause of my anxiety rather then then an effect.

the spiritual work I did has all come back with relationship fears and a psychic I see has told me she sees it slowly improving overtime. I am lucky that I have come to know her over the years and she has offered me lots of support.

I may suffer but I am positive that things will get better and there is a higher reason for all of this. I have researched different diets to try. Mentally I am fine except for the random moments of feeling out of control and sad for myself. I have to look after and provide for myself and reflux is an invisible disease. Everything thinks if I look fine I am fine. Yes I am 80% better but I still suffer. I have always had a positive mindset and I believe the body can heal. I have amazing family and friends, I am ready to go back to work and I know that I have spiritual guidance around me. Life is too short regardless of how I feel, some days I don’t want to feel like shit and would be ok for it to end, sometimes I am not frightened of the end and sometimes it makes me live because nothing can stop me from soaking up all the beauty of it all. Acceptance is key and I don’t want to but I want to enjoy life as best I can. Sometimes I wish it was cancer, at least there is treatment or death, this is suffering when trying to do the basic human survival task of eating.

There is a solution and a reason for everything, you just need to listen to your body and something greater than you. Xoxox