FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

zzz Better question for my doctor

noonetoldmecatswerethisdi
Community Member
Hi so this isn't a question that I should ask here but it'll be a month or so before I'm back at my doctor. So basically I was prescribed meds and they were working really well. I basically didn't have an issue with anxiety for the period I was on them and as a result my depression got a lot better. About 2 weeks a go I stopped taking them but the past couple of days when I've been alone I've just been having increasingly negatives thoughts basically just painfully lonely. I don't know if its something the meds will help with but if I go back on them I basically have to stay on them full time until my doctor says to stop. I stopped because I forgot for a few days and felt alright and wanted to see how I'd go without them.
5 Replies 5

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello, people who take AD's and begin to feel better always think that they can stop taking them because they feel so much better, that's always good because they have been working, but as soon as you stop, then you fall back to where you once were.
It's not a good idea to even consider stopping them unless you speak with your doctor, but there could be a chance that you will need to be on them for a few years, even though you're feeling great.
I will be taking my AD for the rest of my life, because I know that if I miss a day because I need a new script then back I fall as quickly as the depression appeared, then I will ask my pharmacist if he could give me a few just to cover myself until I see my doctor.
I feel that is much better rather than being back with the black dog and falling into depression once again.
There should never be any guilt by taking AD's so please could I advise you to see your doctor again. Geoff.

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi cats

Yeah I'm thinking pretty much same as Geoff, if they worked and you were feeling better then you're in a good place while on them.

Good you know what's making you so low, that alone can be difficult to pinpoint.

Depression is a master at pulling us down,

Loneliness is an under rated wicked place to be. I can empathise, atm this will sound whacked but I"m alone not lonely though cause I have a lot of love with friends, family & inlaw family and people contact but have had times of loneliness.
Don't know if you like excercise but walking is amongst people & most places I've lived when people are walking for health they tend to smile and say hi, as opposed to if yous passed eachother in the street in usual daily routine.

How do you feel about yourself, as in do you like yourself?

I'm not sure how it works in different states but there are some places that have volunteers who are police checked and assessed pretty throughly (the one I did some for while back) for safety of clients. It was a free service if I remember right and the volunteers men or ladies come once a week or maybe more and can take the clients shopping, for a drive, or just visit and talk for an hour or so probs depending on demand. They also can do regular phone calls too.
This was through a community centre locally and assume they have similar in other places.

Also through mental health there's organisations that have similar with mental health training which I've recently got onto as their are times I REALLY need to talk to someone that knows what the go is with me, I have Bipolar (BP) they also can do pretty much same & more. They also have regular BBQ's with clients that wanna go & staff so good social outings too.

Would you be interested in joining a club or sports venue where you're interacting or just around people with same likes. Wouldn't have to be sport could be cards, knitting gathering, art, remote control planes cars, woodwork etc
I organise table tennis at a club, there's a lot going on.
There's social clubs around too.

If you check out the classifieds in papers too as well as online.

There's a lot of people out there that are lonely and it's cruel. I hope you can get something happening 🙂

Tc

yeah sadly I think it was a mistake going off them, I even said to myself if I stopped and went back to feeling down I'd have to stay on them till I spoke to a doctor about it. It's all still pretty new to me and I hate taking them because of the few negative side effects but I feel like I don't have much of a choice.

hello, one thing you should never be guilty of, and that's when something is wrong with you or any of us then we need to take medication to help us start to repair what we are suffering from.
It's an illness no different than any other, the only difference it affects our mental ability. Geoff.

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Very well said Geoff and bang on.

Many people unless they've gone through stuff which actually probs everyone does at some time in their lives or have compassion and empathy if they don't see it they can't understand it.

I think one of the reasons a lot of people tend to shy away and not allow empathy is for good people mostly if someone falls it's natural to wanna lift help them up.
With this sort of pain they're not able to help and many fear making it worse but often it's an ear and support is enough

Cats how are you doing