FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Voluntary admission - Private or Public

TeaRose
Community Member

Hi,

I have recently reached out about the extent of my mental illness to love ones and seeing a psychologist/ psychiatrist regularly and have been told voluntary admission is a path I can go down (if I feel unsafe or at risk). I am new to this so just want to try get an understanding of what other people have experienced with either a public or private voluntary admission. From my understanding, public hospitals are often under resourced and can have people both in psychosis and not on the same ward and potentially escalate the symptoms one might have. Although, I do have private insurance, I will need to discuss with my provider about what cover I have - so cost may play a big role in this. Also the experience itself, did anyone find it helped and in what way?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello TeaRose, a good comment and one which many people maybe trying to decide on.
Public hospital I disliked as I was put into a ward where some guy kept coming to me saying very unfavourable comments, this happened a few times, but all I wanted to do was get out.
Whereas private is different where I was put into one in suburbs of Melbourne for two weeks, the bottom floor held people struggling with addictions, while the top floor ws for people with any type of depression.
The meals were excellent and routine, group therapy happened everyday just as one on one counseling, but I met a couple of people I connected with, plus I was allowed to go out only if I signed a form and had to be back within a certain time.
One day the group therapy was good as all of us (6 or 7 )were in laughters, you know crying in joy, but when we overcame that it was a downer,so we formed our little group to recover.
If you have private insurance then that's the way I would suggest, but you must check how much they will pay and for how long, plus if you need it again will they still cover you.
I was also assigned a different psychiatrist and to check that your health fund covers their costs, with me it did, actually Workcover were paying for my two weeks, so everything was included, so if they allow you then that's certainly what I would aim for. Geoff.

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Tearose,

The answer to your question depends on a lot of factors. Someone on this forum recently mentioned a centre they attended that was public and fantastic.

It will be beneficial for you to ask your Dr what they suggest and do some research, ask questions and see what is available near you. Each city/state will have something different to offer you.

As I live in a small community, my Dr. had me admitted to a local hospital where I was in a room of my own suffering with my depression. The hospital did not have staff able to help me. I was there for a rest and to be looked after health wise.

Consider what it is that you are after, how much private will cost and what you require to assist you. It may also be the case you may not be able to get straight into a public place if there is a high demand for beds.

Hope this helps! Also remember that 10 people could all go to the same centre and give you a different opinion of the place!

Cheers from Mrs. D

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear TeaRose~

Deciding what to do in this situation is not easy. One of the main reasons is the great degree of difference between hospitals, not just the difference between public and private.

Like Goff, I've had a most positive experience with voluntary admission, with a regime very like Geoff; being allowed out, reasonable - in some cases very caring - staff, and good amenities. It was the turning point in my illness (PTSD, depression,anxiety).

Other people here i n this Forum have told of horror stories - as recently as last week.

So I guess you really need to find out detail on the institution you would go to and the frequency of attendance of your own doctor or psychiatrist.

You have my best wishes

Croix