FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

TMS Inpatient in Hospital

josh88
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I hope this story helps someone else who has also had some difficulty deciding on the right treatment for depression.

I'm Day 5 as an inpatient in a mental health hospital for TMS therapy to treat my depression. Something I never thought I would need to do, as I tend to manage things ok and am high functioning most of the time. My problem has been my consistent low mood and irritability, which has had an impact on my relationship and my family.

But I'm so glad that I've taken a leap of faith and given this a go. I was really uneasy about being an inpatient, but it really has been the shake up I've needed to break my depressive habits and thoughts. For example, I'm currently writing this while I'm on the exercise bike in the hospital gym! What the!

I'm already seeing improvements from the TMS. The cloudy negative thoughts are lifting and I feel motivated and lighter. I'm hoping this gives the ability to stay more positive and better at handling stressful situations.

Anyway, just wanted to share this experience to help anyone who may be considering some less regular treatment options.

4 Replies 4

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Josh88~

I'm so glad you are one of the people that TMS is helping, can you say how many days you have to go?

It is a big step to go to a psych ward for such a treatment, and I can imagine your doubts before you started. I have not had TMS but have been lucky and found just being on a ward with medication away from the normal stressed of life is a big benefit.

If you would like to say how you feel at the end of your course of treatment and are back home  I'd be most interested in your experience and am hoping it makes a real difference for you

Croix

josh88
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Croix,

Thanks for your message. I'm currently halfway through my treatment. I'm going to be doing 20 treatments in total, rather than 30 which is more common. I'm already seeing benefits which is promising.

Will keep you updated on how these last few days of treatment go. Apparently treatment 14 is the magic number where most people start to notice the improvements more clearly.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Josh88~

Just checking in to see how you are going, hope all is good

Croix

DebbieMelissa
Community Member

Dear Josh88,

Your story has definitely helped me. I am starting TMS as an Outpatient today. I wanted an admission but I simply couldn't find a hospital. I think I got overwhelmed. Do you mind me asking where you went and how your admission panned out. I really hope it helped you a lot and I would love to know how you finished up with the TMS. 

I hope things are going really well for you now. I hope it helped.