FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Tips needed for seeking psychological treatment after inappropriate treatment From previous psychologist needed.

Sparkles183
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all 

My Doctor has recommended to start seeing a psychologist again  as she thinks it may of affected me how I was treated by the psychologist I was seeing last year. All though I did end up seeing another psych after that I only went to her for one session as I ended up moving to a different state. Now here I am a year after what happened with that,Psyhcoligest   trying to seek help but in away I am to scared to as I disclosed to my doctor I am fearful it may happen again. Although I did report the psychologist the long process of the investigation has affected me more and has raised my anxiety and depression   Levels   a little bit more. ESP that I found out recently that the investigation has gone to the next step...

so what I am asking has anyone got any tips on what I should expect from my next psych. Esp that my first psych ended up like that although I am almost crying and totally numb writing this I think it is kind of weird that I have to go to another psych  to debrief what I went through with my last psych...  

Thanks in  advance for all your help 

Sparkles 

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M

Hi Sparkles, 

Here's a bit of information that may help you in finding someone that you match well with, as the therapeutic relationship is often key in building trust and achieving the outcomes we want most.

There are two types of registered psychologists that you can book in with, and if you have a referral from your GP, then the majority of the cost can be covered by Medicare through the Better Outcomes Initiative. You can then ask to work with a general psychologist or a clinical psychologist. The main difference between the two is that a clinical psychologist can diagnose, and a general psychologist cannot.

In a practical sense, this can meant that the cost may be different, or that the amount of counselling in a session can vary (some may focus on assessment and diagnosis more than counselling).

Either way, feeling comfortable and asking questions, even before booking, can help you to find the right fit. Some common questions may be:

- What type of therapeutic interventions do they use and what does that mean in practice?

- How busy is their practice, and will they be available in outside hours if you feel at risk?

- Do they work with people experiencing suicide thoughts? (not all do)

- Is there anything they think you should consider before booking an appointment?

Never be afraid to contact a couple of psychologists and make your decision after receiving their responses. In addition to asking your GP or friends/forums, you can also search for a psychologist who has registered with us as having a special interest in depression and anxiety specifically through our website under the 'Get Support' tab and then 'Find a Professional' or clicking on the link here. This will also let you find a Mental Health GP if you don't have a GP yet in your area.

Thank you for your help Sophie..

you are very helpful and I am sure I speak for everyone you are an amazing moderator thank u for you do on this forum I am sure you do a lot of work behind the scene as well you are totally awesome and the community here really appreciates you...

thank you once again....

sparkles