FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pathological Testing before prescribing medication for mental issues

Brian1
Community Member

I have learnt that there are certain pathological tests to identify the level of seretonin and dopamine through blood/urine analysis.

Considering that medications are chemical materials designed to regulate supply or flow of body chemicals thought to be causing mental health, I think it is appropriate to know the body chemistry before prescribing medication solely based on mental state as explained by patients like depression and anxiety etc.

In my view this approach will reduce lengthy process of finding which medication suits which patients by trial and error that is costly and potentially a life threatening practice.

I am interested in hearing your opinion and personal experiences in this regard to gather a view to change/enhance the current practices where there is a gap.

4 Replies 4

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Brian~

I'd like to welcome you here to the support Forum. I do not have experience specifically having dopamine or serotonin levels tested (that I remember anyway), and not really enough expertise to know if such tests are significant on all occasions.

I do know that all avenues should be explored before one is diagnosed and treated for mental illness. I have had ongoing batteries of tests for everything from headaches to chest pain. Until this has been done it might be too easy to assume a mental illness cause and not a physical one. Chest pain is a good example, at my age I'm in the  group where heart problems might be expected and to ignore the possibility dangerous.

Can I suggest you talk over your doctor the types of tests that might be most productive?

I would be interested to know how you get on

Croix

Brian1
Community Member

Thanks for showing interest in my post.  Yes that is the key .. explore body chemistry before prescribing medicine that is a chemical compound designed to interact with body chemistry. 

I don't like the mental health industry just taking a stab on the dark and prescribing medicine without understanding the body chemistry.

I am just raising awareness and trying to make a difference in practice to avoid falling into as cycle of trial and error for fond by right medication for your mental health if any at all.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Brian1~

As a person who has had to trial a large number of meds over the years I'd be very happy if the trial and error was taken out of it. Sadly as every one may not react the same way to each drug I'm not sure if it is possible.

Mind you , it is only of recent years I've "taken charge" of my treatment and not just gone along wiht whatever they prescribed. I think this is one important step and could lead to asking about tests.

Croix

Brian1
Community Member

Dear Croix,

I am glad that you understand where I am coming from based on your experiences.

My point of interest in exploring body and brain chemistry before taking any medication is based on the fact that medications are chemical substances designed for balancing what is low or high in the body, so worth knowing what is not in balance.

You can search internet and find what blood and urine or other tests can help in identifying chemical imbalances causing mental health issues.

Good luck with exploring and sharing your findings with the community members.

Lots of medications are designed to control seretonin reuptake in brain and I just learnt that 90% of seretonin is produced in intestine.

And the lists goes on as you search..