FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mental Health Plan

Manda85ballarat
Community Member

A quick question regarding mental health plans. The GP referred created a mental health plan for me and referred me to a psychologist on staff at the practice. The problem is she is only works Thursday's and I was told she would contact me I understand New Years and Christmas mucked things up but I am feeling extremely anxious and would like to try to get into someone sooner.

My question is, is it too late to get referred to someone else? (I am moving from one side of Melbourne to the other this year due to a new job so would probably like to have someone closer to where I'll be living) or do I have to stay with the original psychologist I have been referred to? I went to ask about this and I was seen y a different GP at the same practice.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Manda

2 Replies 2

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
You need to see a psychologist that suits you this includes being available at a time and place to suit as far as possible. You can & must return to the GP and ask for a referral for someone who suits your needs rather than sticking to initial referal.  Good luck

Elea
Community Member

Hi Manda,

You certainly can ask to be referred to a different psychologist, I've done that before. Just go back to your GP, or any GP at the same doctors office where you got your mental health plan done, and they can give you a new referral. My doctor gave me one without addressing it to a specific psychologist, so I could choose where to go. All the best xx