FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mental Health Care Plan - What to expect?

b_b_
Community Member

Hi there,

I've been struggling with my mental health for almost 8 years now but have never formally spoken to a GP about it. I have made the step of booking an appointment to receive a mental health care plan, however, now I am stressing myself out about what to expect to the point of wanting to cancel the appointment. I know this is not a good idea and that I need to make the step even if it's something I'm nervous about doing. Normally when I find myself over-thinking things I find that the best way to reassure myself is to find out as much as possible about what makes me nervous in order to remove some of the scariness about it. I have looked at online resources but would appreciate some personal advice/accounts. 

So, in this spirit, I was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips about what to expect when seeing a GP about receiving a mental health care plan. What sort of questions do they ask? Things like that. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks so much 🙂

1 Reply 1

Sparkles183
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi b.b 

welcome to beyond blue,

I can understand going to a GP about mental health issues can be very daunting. But believe me it is worth it I am currently on my third mental health plan and saw 3 different doctors for them ( due to living in different locations).

the appointment generally takes about 30 mins. They ask you questions about your family background and your mental health, And how are you feeling and generally they also get you to fill out a questionnaire about how your feeling. And then they will give you a referral to a psych, the mental health plan is normally reviewed after 6 sessions with a psych then u return to your GP  to check your progress and they will give you another 4 sessions.

Thats about all I can think of if u have any other Q, let's us know take care.

sparkles...