FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

If you guys have been in therapy, how long did you go to sessions?

nevergiveup245
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I have been in therapy with the same psychologist for two years now, going on the third year. I have multiple mental health conditions, and go about monthly. I am wondering how others’ experiences are. I sometimes wonder if it’s too long? If you all are okay sharing your experiences, that would be great.
14 Replies 14

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi and welcome Nevergiveup!

It's a mighty question you've asked. Simply because each of us have differing needs and diagnosis'. It also depends on whether you're actively engaged in 'homework' activities and practising what you've learned.

I went every week and sometimes twice until the effects of my breakdown began to wane. Then it was fortnightly and eventually monthly then 1/2 yearly. My last visit was last yr, but I've used other resources such as online chat services and 1 on 1 crisis phone services. It's nearly 4 yrs since my breakdown and diagnosis of complex PTSD with anxiety/panic.

It probably took 18 months before I started feeling I had some control back in my life. Joining this forum as a member was the breakthrough I needed. I hope you stay for this reason.

I hope this helps..

Kind thoughts;

Sez

Miss_T
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I have major problems and have been seeing a therapist approximately monthly for 10 years. Even if my life turned around, I would still keep going to help keep myself on track. I have a good relationship with my therapist and like going to see her but there is a limit to what we can do together about my diagnosis, job situation and loneliness as not everything is within our control.

Quercus
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello nevergiveup,

What a useful question. When I started seeing my psychiatrist that was one of my questions... How long will I need this? The reality is medical care costs money. And I wanted some idea of what I was committing to.

I see my psychiatrist once a week for 40 minutes for psychotherapy. It has been nearly a year now and I don't see that changing soon although I am much better than I was.

Thank you for asking this. I think others will find it helpful when considering therapy to realise that it is a commitment to your own wellbeing not a quick fix.

Nat

Hello Never give up

Thank you for this topic. As Sez remarked, it's different for one of us. My mental health was managed by my GP for a long time until a whole raft of disasters when she referred me to a psychiatrist. I used to see the psych fortnightly until another two major events and now I see her weekly. My GP left the practice for personal reasons and I needed to find another GP. The GP I found is great but not as well versed in mental health matters as the previous GP which is one of the reasons I am still seeing the psych weekly.

Like Nat I see me at the psych's office for a while yet.

What is it that worries you about your psychologist? Do you feel you are not communicating well or perhaps the appointments are too far apart. I think you may be on a GP mental health plan which gives you the choice of seeing a psychology every fortnight then a long gap before the next ten sessions, or seeing that person monthly. I do not believe this has been well thought out by the powers that be.

If you feel you need more frequent appointments then you need a referral to a psychiatrist. These fees allow you a benefit until you reach the safety net when your benefit virtually covers the cost of the fees. Perhaps you can discuss this with your GP.

How much progress do you believe you have made? If you feel you have made little progress then discuss this with your GP immediately. Nat has it right saying, I think others will find it helpful when considering therapy to realise that it is a commitment to your own well being not a quick fix. Absolutely.

It seems you will get on faster with more frequent appointments but this is a matter between your GP/psychologist/ and yourself. for joy. Is it OK to give you her contact details.

Love to knowe how you are getting on.

Mary

Thanks everyone for your sharing.

My psychologist do give me a discounted rate after the 10sessions are used up, and fortunately I can pay for a few more sessions a year with that rate out of pocket. Right now i need to look for a new gp for a new mental health care plan, that’s why there will be a wait before my next appointment with my psych. I am just worried if I have been in therapy for too long that’s all. With regards to improvements, i have improved quite a bit since seeing current psych, but feel like still a long way to go. Are you all in the mental health care plan or pay out of pocket?

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

hi Nevergiveup, I had been seeing my psychologist for 20 years, seeing her twice a week at the beginning which was when I was at my worst, then tapering off to finally seeing her once a month towards the end.

Each day and each week something new comes along and you never know how you will be able to react to these situations, so these could be new triggers where you have to learn on how to cope with them.

Every day is a new challenge and if you feel like there are issues that need to be discussed then no time is long enough and suggest you keep going.

Some psych's may shorten the session time so that they can bulk bill, so if you still need to visit them you should.

Your mental health is what you need to look after. Geoff.

Hi Nevergiveup,

Geoff has it right... Your health is a priority. As I told the receptionist once when I paid some people treat themselves to coffees ot haircuts or massages. My treat is my therapy. I need it so we find a way in our budget to afford it.

As Mary said check out your saftey net on mygov. At the start of the year the appointments are rough (I pay about 160 for a 40 min therapy session with a psychiatrist). $160 per week sounds ridiculous but the closer you get to the saftey net the less you pay. So for me once I spend about 2 grand my appointments drop to $15 out of pocket.

It is the initial part that is difficult so we save up to cover it.

Nat

Hello nevergiveup

Thanks for having the courage to post by the way!

You are proactive with your health and seeing a counselor...thats a huge move towards recovery

I made a mistake years ago when I was 23 and only had six monthly visits which were non productive with my chronic anxiety at the time.

Depending on what you are suffering from, fortnightly is great and weekly is even better to achieving some peace in our lives 🙂

The more frequent the counseling the better we heal. There is also free counseling available too if you are i interested in how to obtain it

I really hope you can stick around the forums

My kind thoughts

Paul

Marlowe
Community Member
Saw a therapist in the late 70's and early 80's for five times a week for six years. in the 90's I saw another one five times a week over five years. Absolute waste of time and public money (it was all paid for by medical benefits which were available for intensive therapy then). After 11 years of therapy in total, all that really eventuated was an acute awareness of my rather long list of emotional deficiencies and self-acknowledgement there was zero chance of ever fixing them. Life really is crap and I've had 60 years of worthless, useless existence, not for want of trying hard to make it better. Having said all this, I'm reasonably sure intensive therapy or psychoanalysis works for a number of people; I just wasn't one of them.