FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How are you supposed to feel when starting on Meds? HELP!!!!

L-G
Community Member

Struggled for 8 years with stress, anxiety and depression and always thought myself to strong to accept help

Got to much for me last week, so I went to see the GP and broke down in surgery. I have alot of stress in my life. I have now accepted help and will go back in 3 weeks to see him, get a mental heath plan done and will start to see a Psych.  He wants me on meds for 12 months.

Dr Started me on 20mg meds taken at night last Friday with dinner, today is Tuesday and I feel terrible.  He said 20mg is he lowest dose to start on, this is big for me as I dont even take a panadol if I get a headache.

First few days and nights were kind of OK but last night I felt like I was on another planet. I feel out of touch, tired, slow, a little confused and forgetful and really spaced out,  just overall weird and really odd.

How long will this last for, will it get better, I want to stop taking them

Any feedback you can share with me? I dont know how I am supposed to feel and wonder how I will ever function properly again?

Is it worth it?

3 Replies 3

L-G
Community Member

I have struggled through the day big time, not depressed or anxious, just feel like absolute crap

Should I call my Dr tomorrow? Am I supposed to feel weird?

I am due to take tonight at 6pm, I dont want to

Simona
Community Member

Hello L-G  .   I am not experienced enough to tell you what I think you should do but I just wanted to say that I can relate to how you're feeling because couple of years ago I was put on something to treat my anxiety/mania and I felt pretty much the same way.  Like a zombie.  That was....I think beginning of week 3. 

I was advised to give it a chance to work but I was off it before week 4.  I felt I was in a different time zone. My children ran circles around me but for me; time stood still and I sat staring at nothing in particular.

I'm rather interested in reading the replies you get because I freaked out myself. Maybe if I gave it more time things would have settled who knows?    Or maybe dosage could have been adjusted.

You are in my thoughts  🙂   

Swok
Community Member

Hello,

There are many different types of medication. And there are many different types of brains. The medication may have some side effects but I don't believe to the extent you have described. Go back to your doctor and tell him/her. This type of medication is often a matter of trial and error until they find the one that works for you.

I'm talking from experience.