FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

do helplines really help?

startingnew
Community Member

ive tried many different helplines and ive only actually been helped a few timesbut most of the time they just say to keep using the distractions and coping strategies that ive been using and to speak to my psychologist

wow what a great help- if i was doing that and it was helping me i wouldnt have rung now would i?

wondering what others experiences are?

2 Replies 2

The_Possum
Community Member

Hey there

I agree with you. I've called them a few times and they were good in the respect of, I didn't feel alone momentarily which was comforting. Especially as I have anxiety, talking on the phone did keep it at bay.

But if you're looking for more than that, then no they aren't really helpful and really it's not their role to provide more than that. If you're looking for a deeper connection and support, that comes from a psychologist. The helplines won't achieve that.

Many of the times I've called, it's a general chat, and it helps me when I'm panicking so they get me through that patch when my mind is racing etc

They will often refer to self care strategies I can implement etc

There's only so much someone can do on the phone, if you're really bad they will send emergency services to your place though!

Goodluck x

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey SN

Good to see you!

The helplines are good value.

The Possum is spot on with "if you're looking for more than that, then no they aren't really helpful
and really it's not their role to provide more than that. If you're
looking for a deeper connection and support, that comes from a
psychologist. The helplines won't achieve that."

Frequent ongoing counseling is still the best bet SN.

Possum mentioned they are great for a general chat to help during heavy anxiety and they can provide us with a buffer so to speak.

Good post SN 🙂

My Best

Paul