FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depression onset possibly from contraception - anyone else?

CoffeeTime
Community Member
Hi there, this is my first post and I'm a little nervous about this... so long story short I've been dealing with depression and anxiety over the past 2 years - it's been very up and down. Sometimes I'm great, but it never lasts too long. I was talking to my partner about this last night, and he unexpectedly asked me if it can be a side-effect my my contraception, as he thinks everything started around the time I had that put in. I had never made the connection as to the possibility of this before, so I jumped online to have a look and there are countless women online who have had a similar experience. I have booked in to see my GP to have a chat about this, and I'm seriously going to consider getting it removed. So to get the point, my question is - has anyone else had their depression symptoms start after starting a hormonal birth control / symptoms worsened? I know realistically it's likely to be a combination of things, but it this turns out to be a major contributor, it would be great to discover! Thank you!
1 Reply 1

Dr_Kim
Community Member

Hi Coffeetime,

Great question and I think you have kind of answered this already .

1. Yes its possible ( the progesterone in the implant can cause moodiness in some )
2. You won’t really know if its a MAJOR contributing factor until you have it removed
3. In my experience ,these things are often multi factorial so maybe its a bunch of things but that just “ pushed you over the edge” so to speak.

Going to your GP to discuss it is a great first step. They may decide to remove it and see how you go on alternative contraception for 3-6 months and if you are no different, then put it back in. If you are better mentally without it , the only way to know for sure if it was definitely the implant is to have it put in again at some point and see if the same response happens again. ( If you are game)

So.. well done to your partner .. He may have worked it out … but don’t get your hopes up yet . If things don’t settle , get help for the anxiety / depression via counselling , lifestyle advice +/- medications .

Goodluck !